Arrow amp and tuner biting the dust...need a receiver...

Hi people, I was going to use my vintage sansui and with an old sony tuner and it worked well for a while, now some wierd static and stuff comes out of the speakers when the amp is on...sooo. on my limited, VERY LIMITED budget (cause I just spent $422.05 on a new iPod) now I'm looking for a good receiver to run my new paradigm Atoms...I don't know whether or not I should go with an entry 5.1 rig with stereo binding posts and spring clips for B or the 5.1 sattelites, or a dedicated stereo rig. I like the stereo one cause I have the bass/treble/loudness controls on the front, and I want a system for music only. I listnen to rock, classic rock, punk rock and a little jazz here and there. my budget is around $300-$350CND. I'm not going to be hooking this thing up to video anytime soon, but when I move out, I want a rig that will play 5.1...so you see my problem...oh ya, and no used stuff please, if it's over my budget, please don't tell me cause I don't wanna hear about it.

Thanks for any suggestions

Rob a.k.a audio_dude

Suspended
    Have you researched your Sansui to see what you have? Some of their vintage gear is incredible and would be worth getting fixed. I picked up an old Sansui integrated at a thrift store and it turned out to have been the top of the line in the early 70's. What made me research it was how good it sounded when I hooked it up. It sounds better than most any receiver. I know you didn't want used but used tuners are cheap. Especially now that HD radio is here.

I can understand thinking of the future but you will get better sound in your budget forgoing 5.1 for awhile. www.spearitsound.com has some Cambridge integrated amps for $379.00. They're refurbs. If you absolutely want brand new, Onkyo has a 100x2 for around $299.00 that will rock. If you insist on 5.1, I haven't priced any receivers in some time but I favor Onkyo or Harman Kardon.

peabody, I have looked at a few onkyo receivers but they seem to use the cheaper spring clip connectors. I was thinking about a yammie, maybe the RX397, just wondering if anybody likes this receiver, or one like it.

Suspended
    I personally don't care for Yamaha's sound. I like Onkyo for it's high current output but that is cheezy not to use a decent binding post. You might check Denon or Marantz. Denon has some receivers they bill as high current but I think they cost more than your budget. Even in the entry level though I think either would give more of a defined sound over the Yamaha.

I recently purchased the new Yamaha RX-V659 receiver from Tweeter for $499 US.
    To me and my speakers, Paradigm Titans/front and Atoms/surround, it is great. Set up was easy and the manual is refreshingly clear and easy to understand.
    It is also designed for IPod docking which may be right up your alley considering your recent IPod purchase.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/receivers/RXV659.htm

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    The 100Wx2 Onkyo is supposedly pretty good but I'm a big fan of H/K (moreso than Onkyo) in this price range so I'd say look at their stereo receiver. 3380 I think is the current model but I really haven't kept up.

Onkyo and Yammie make great surround sound units but I'd take H/Ks sound over Onkyo for music. YMMV, try one and see how it goes, the H/Ks cost more than the Onkyos but you may find one refurb'd for a good deal.

Both the 50x2 and 100x2 Onkyo receivers use spring clips as far as I know. I have the 50x2 Onkyo actually, I'm trying to figure out what to do with it now that I don't need it anymore.

please people, I need some more sugestions.

Forum Regular

Ohhh the Joys of choices!

Hi,

There is a great deal you have not told us... how big is the room? If it's smaller, you can sacrifice some watts for sound quality. If it is a large room, well I think you know what's coming - you need juice!

I really do like my Yamaha receiver - it's in a small bedroom, but it sounds phenominal! If I understand you correctly, you want to keep it under $500.00. Yamaha offers a variety of receivers that fit in this price range - many very powerful ones at that.

I have purchased all of my receivers with surround capabilities - why - because I wanted the ability to make choices! You can listen to two channel, but I wanted the ability to listen in variety of formats! The prices are so reasonable - why wouldn't you do this?

If two channel is all you're interested in there are many companies that still offer products for the two channel enthusiast. The other posts all point to products that are high quality. My two cents - listen to the Yamahas - I think they offer incredible sounds at very affordable prices! Let your ears be the final judge.

All the best to you on your search!

lol, ok, this system is for my BEDROOM, so there is a bed, a desk, a dresser and a bookshelf, my room is 10' by 11' and I have paradigm atoms, I am going to be buying a sub for this system later...and I'm no noob to receivers, and watts, and integrated amps and such, I just want to know about any SPECIFIC suggestions, like small brands that I might not know about. also, i've dicided to go with a STEREO only receiver!!!

My suggestion is to go with Pioneer for your receiver and for a few simple reasons. 1. They are easy to use 2. they will get heavy mileage 3. they are inexpensive by comparison, yet boast awesome functions. For those 3 reasons alone I recommend any of their models. I would probably recommend their THX certified models or if you are willing to go a few more dollars get an Elite player....I have seen them for $700 roughly. While you may only be doing simple stereo for right now (I know the Pioneer will give you great 2 channel sound) then you have the ability down the line to go 5.1/6.1 if need be. Hope that helps!

Suspended
    I personally would not own or recommend Pioneer, Sony, Panasonic or JVC receivers unless that's all you can afford, none of them have balls. I said I don't like Yamaha before, but it's their lack of bass detail I'm prejudice against.

If you decided to go stereo, you best performance per dollar would be a Cambridge integrated & tuner. They have also come out with a new surround receiver and there are some of the older models going for a very good price new. You'd have to search for best deal and I'm not sure what US to Canadian dollar conversion is, so I can't help you with price. I haven't heard one but the Marantz PM7200 integrated I think is in your price and it can be switched to either Class A or A/B. I'm sure it's available many places but www.amusicdirect.com has it on their website for some additional info.

well, to conver dollars to anything i like to use http://www.xe.com/ but would I really be better of with an integrated and a tuner, cause my tuner is CRAP...lol

Suspended
    Sound quality wise, overall you would definitely be better off with an integrated. But if FM is your only source and you can't afford a tuner maybe not. I think you could get a Cambridge integrated and tuner for not much out of your budget. Do you use CD or music stations from satelite or cable? That may be an alternative to FM. Plus, think about HD radio is rolling out. So why buy new a component that may or may not be able to support future possibilities. On the other hand tuners should become very cheap soon.

Apparently some people don't pay attention when you say that you are on a budget, which is why I recommended going with Pioneer because you will get your moneys worth. They are long lasting and will do the trick. Also, if you feel that they are not powerful enough for some reason you can always use the pre-outs and connect any type of amp up to drive your speakers further. Since you are limited on budget I highly recommend Pioneer in this case...highly. Also, they are less complicated and have more perks than other receivers in their price range.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by audio_dude
    please people, I need some more sugestions.
    I owned a Panasonic XR50 that was excellent. The reciever is a Class D (Switching Amp) Digital Amp and a very high performer. There are some that claim Class D amps can out perform linear Amps that cost thousands.

With the Panasonic, any digital input from a CDP for example stays digital. There is no DAC. On a Digital Amp, the the amplifiers stages are switched on anf off by the data (0s and 1s) coming in from the digital signal (CDP for example). Any analog signal is converted to a 24/96 digital signal before being fed to the amplifier. This is about the cleanest sound you can get.

Plus the Panny is a high quality full featured 6.1 HT reciever with a ton of controls and features. It's a very impressive unit for the money. It comes with a a subout as well.

On some recordings the pure digital sound can be a bit too hard edged which is why I switched to a hybrid tube amp. So much depends on your ears, speakers and listening room however. The newer Pannys are even better than my older XR50 unit I understand.

ok, first of all, I hate pioneer...let's just say that I've had a bad expeirience with 'em. I'm going to buy a CD/DVD player soon to play ONLY CD's, I need an aux connection so I can use my 1/8" mini jack to RCA cable for my iPod...so no, i won't be only lisnening to FM, and yes, i'm on a VERY strict budget, i'm 14 people, i'm not loaded with cash, but I am a "resticted" audiophile and as I say to my parents "i'm as much of an audiophile as I can afford to be"

Suspended
    You little punk, I was 16 before I got my first receiver and you are asking about your second system Mine was a Realistic 22x2. It was beautiful though, a walnut cabinet with black face and one of those big analog FM dials that light up and went across the entire front top.

In light of your new info, maybe a surround receiver might be best. you could run your Ipod digital out directly into the receivers digital in and let the internal DAC do the converting. The internal DAC might also sound better for music playback than a budget DVD player. There are several HT receivers in the $199.00 range, mostly in brands I already dissed though. But we all have to start some where. Plus if you are getting DVD you might as well have the surround. You can get some good info and compare several brands at www.crutchfield.com. Don't forget if you find a certain couple models you like you can read reviews here from those who have used them. Hey, if you buy from Crutchfield and tell them I referred you, you will get a discount as well as I would receive some credit.

I also have a HUGE pioneer system elsewhere in my house, but the huge towers, with 2 8 inch woofers each, both tweeters don't work, and one of the midranges don't work, plus its all cheap spring clips

Thread Information