Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By emptycenter

Thread: Streets Electronic Systems Model 950?

Forum Regular

Question Streets Electronic Systems Model 950?

I posted this in the vintage gear forum. I hope it's OK to post it in two forums

I recently (last night) fell into a pile of audio equipment. I won a pair of Von Schweikert Research VR-3 on e-bay and went to pick them up. When I was at my new friend Nick's pad I asked if he was selling his preamp and amp. Turns out he was and, after listening to them (with Nick's green parrot staring at me), I bought them. The preamp is an Anthem Pre-1 and the amp is a Streets Electronic Systems Model 950 Power Amplifier. I was just a little familiar with the Anthem and found some info on the web, but I have never heard of the Streets amp and I can't find much info on it. I did find this at Orion blue book:

TYPE: Power Amplifier
    MODEL: 950
    MANUFACTURER: STREETS ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS
    YEAR: 1985-1989

Specifications
    RMS Watts/Channel @ 4 Ohm 95

Does anyone have any more info on this mysterious amplifier?

Forum Regular

Here are some pics.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Streets Electronic Systems Model 950?-pic-1.jpg   Streets Electronic Systems Model 950?-pic-3.jpg   Streets Electronic Systems Model 950?-pic-5.jpg   Streets Electronic Systems Model 950?-nude-1.jpg   Streets Electronic Systems Model 950?-nude-2.jpg  

Craig-Streets likes this.

I dont know anything about it but it looks like a nice piece of vintage equipment.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

nightflier
    It does look nice. It may be a pro-audio product, too, so check some of the other forums out there. One caveat is that it probably won't have enough to power those VS speakers.

Just out of curiosity, how much did the equipment set you back?

Forum Regular
    The Streets amp seems to have the power to drive the VR-3s for the listening I do. I have listened to some of my old albums- Black Sabbath NIB (which demands the volume up) to Wagner Tristan und Isolde which is very dynamic. The amp seems to be able to do a very good job. But honestly I don't have much to compare it to. It is definitely the nicest amp I've been able to do a lot of listening with. I was given a power amp shoot out review from The Absolute Sound from 1985 which had really good things to say about this amp. The review singled it and the Onkyo Grand Integra M-510 as being the best of the lot.
    Last edited by emptycenter; 02-21-2009 at 11:47 AM.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Hello Gentlemen... He'll probably kill me for having shared this , but My Father (Barry Streets) actually made the Streets Electronics Amplifiers out of out Family Garage in Livermore CA from the Early/Late 1980s and would probably be able to answer alot of what you have questions about. If you were interested you can Email him at barry.streets.5@facebook.com (I dont have his personal Email this late at night unfortunately as I don't Email my Pops this late at night).

I didn't know if anyone might want questions answered. I know he was always proud of his product and would probably be flattered that someone took interest after this many years...

Charm Thai™
    I missed this thread the first time around but that certainly looks like a heck of an interesting amplifier and thanks for the insider info Craig. Hope emptycenter comes back to these parts and sees your response! I still check posts of mine over 10 years old for random responses to unanswered questions I've had so appreciate posts like these.

Thread Information