Possible future investements...

hey guys, last time i was thinking about buying new speakers the following summer, now there i was thinking about buying monitor audio silver reference RS6 speakers, and maybe add a sub later on, but then i was caught by the RS8 speakers, which are more expensive, and more powerfull, with that i mean that the rs6 is 130 watts @ 6 ohm, and the rs8 is 175 watts @ 6 ohm, they both have an efficiency of 91 db.
    Now, my current amp (Denon PMA-700AE) might be a little underpowered, and as usual, i'm looking for a solution.

now, i'm hoping for a € 900-€ 1000 budget (which i don't know yet)
    i was thinking of some things too,
    this is what i was thinking about:
    Rotel RB-1070 power amp
    http://europe.rotel.com/products/specs/rb1070.htm

and then i also had monoblocks in mind, like these
    the Vincent SP-996 mono amplifier

http://www.vincent-tac.de/en/design/dl2/sp996.php

or his bigger brother the
    SP-997

http://www.vincent-tac.de/en/design/dl2/sp997.php

what do you guys think about these, and are there other things i should consider too?
    i should add to this that i'm then going to use my denon as a preamp, and wait to buy new speakers till the next year...

Peace,
    Basite
    Last edited by basite; 11-14-2006 at 10:17 AM.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Suspended
    91dB is pretty efficient and your Denon should drive them alright. The wattage rating is for power handling and as long as your Denon meets the minimum, you're OK. I'm not familiar with Vincent.

If you are playing back MP3's, I'd say why upgrade anymore at all? Just for giggles you should try a decent CD player through your current system to see what happens. I know nothing of integrating computers to stereo, if you can get a digital signal out of your computer, just try a good DAC to see what it will do for you.

that's the thing, I hardly listen to mp3's, sometimes, but not alot, vinyl and cd's are the majority. The advents are good, really good, (that's why i'm keeping them, even when i ever buy new speakers) but each time i use dad's system, i'm always thinking, "my advents are nothing compared to these b&w's" so i feel like upgrading

cd player is certainly on the wish list, so is a new tt or a decent phono preamp and rewiring the current tt.
    think i'm going to invest in a cd player when i've got money, probably marantz, denon, maybe rotel, not sure yet...

are you sure that I can drive the monitor audio rs8 with the denon without clipping?

Thanks,
    Basite.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

nightflier
    The Vincents, while I haven't heard them, are tube amps and will give you an eitirely different sound. I was tempted to buy one of their preamps from AA, but Vincent is not really fond of balanced in/outs, which I'm really standardizing on. If I remember from a couple of reviews, that Rotel will be on the bright side, while the Vincents will definitely not be. The Denon has a similar sound, I believe, but again, this is all from online reviews and not personal experience.

Suspended
    I am, reasonably sure. I have no direct experience with Monitor Audio. The PMA-700ae is rated at 85 wpc into 4ohms which seems a little light but it is supposed to be "high current" which if true, should push a 91dB speaker without any problem. You are the one that will determine if it clips. Just use the amp within it's limits and if it's not loud enough for you, then your next step will be more power.

Hey Bastie. I was surprised to hear that you wish to upgrade your power before a new pair of speakers. I've heard that MA's Silver Speakers are well prefered over Golds. I'm almost positive that your Denon will drive RS6 without too much fuss. RS8 might be harder to drive but from specs they dont look like they are hard to drive at all.

Here is where you are blessed. You dad has a pair of DM604. Play them thru your PMA700AE and findout how they perform. DM604 and RS8 should be about the same based on specs, if anything B&W could be a bit harder to drive. I dont know B, if you love your Advent then maybe you wanna feed her more power. I would go with a diiferent pair.

If I remember your room correctly, it is in a shape of a triangle. Not sure if RS8 will be significantly better than RS6, but finding an optimal speaker placement will be more crucial.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    Here is where you are blessed. You dad has a pair of DM604. Play them thru your PMA700AE and findout how they perform. DM604 and RS8 should be about the same based on specs, if anything B&W could be a bit harder to drive. I dont know B, if you love your Advent then maybe you wanna feed her more power. I would go with a diiferent pair.
    did that once (not that long) it went fine, (didn't push the amp though, should do another test) but it did get hotter than with my advents.
    hmm, more power for the advents, yes, but not too much, i'm 99% sure that when i feed them more then 100 watts, they will blow.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    If I remember your room correctly, it is in a shape of a triangle. Not sure if RS8 will be significantly better than RS6, but finding an optimal speaker placement will be more crucial.
    kindof a triangle (picture is in my photo's)

I was also a bit suprised i am preferring power over other speakers,
    after reading your replies, i think i shall listen to the speakers first.

Thanks for the replies,
    Basite.
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

i love my advents btw, they will never leave me, if i buy new speakers, they will be used as a radio system, or maybe for that kinds of music where 6" drivers don't do the job...
    anyways, they will be used till they break big time, and when that happens, i will probably replace all the parts with new, similar or original parts.

i think alot of people think the same about their first speakers, (and the rest of their system)
    Life is music!

Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-304
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Not sure if you've considered this direction, but with those Big Advents, I think it would be cool to try a vintage receiver or integrated amp. Generally, vintage integrated amps are cheaper than receivers especially when looking at models from Marantz and Pioneer, the main difference being that the receivers have built-in tuners. You can add a used tuner to an integrated for next to nothing. A 50wpc vintage integrated will probably be more powerful than today's A/V receivers rated at 100 to 125wpc. Check out models from Marantz, Pioneer and Sansui.

A second option would be to add a used stereo power amp like a 500 series Adcom (535, 555, etc.).

If you go for the new speakers, you should try to demo them with a tube integrated. Then save and save some more.

Thread Information