Forum Regular

musical fidelity and joloida

i am looking at two different amps (really different).

Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated
    vs.
    Jolida JD 302B Tube Inetrated

for $500, is the MF any better?

Is vanilla better than chocolate? Are blondes sexier than brunettes?

Thay are both good in their own right. It really depends on what your tastes are. This also applies to your other post concerning these same amps with speakers.

Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice.

Forum Regular
    Isnt the A3.2 a SS amp?
    So we are really comparing SS vs tube

500 bux is over 50% more than the jolida.
    So they are definately in 2 different classes.
    Musical Fidelity is definately more well known than Jolida is

As RGA pointed out to me before, Jolida only has 1 year warrenty.
    Not sure what musical fidelity warrenty is, but I suppose its more than 1 year.
    Plus, I have heard of bad build quality in the Jolida from a number of reviews, however they sound pretty good for the money.

When looking for audio gear, always set up a certain budget and stick with it. Sky's the limit when dealing with audiophile grade stuff...make sure you dont go overboard.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I would offer up two FAR better solutions for you. One for a SS amp look at the Sugden A21a integrated. This amp is the longest selling amplifier in the world...every major and minor review considers it to be if not the BEST sounding SS amp under $2k then it is right there. It retails for $1595US without phono. It is pure class A. A Stereohile review in around Novemeber raved but more on an aside the reviewer said to me it is clearly the class leader under 2k. No offense but MF isn't even good despite the reviews IMO...very hard techy sounding product.

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=1933
    http://www.sugdenaudio.com/reviews/h...e_dec_2000.htm
    http://www.1388.com/articles/sugden/index.html

Stereophile review bottom half http://www.stereophile.com/thefifthe...th/index1.html

And the other amp instead of Jolida I would suggest is Antique Sound Labs - in part because I have one but the AQ1003DT is very similar to the Jolida 302B. The 1003DT is built heavier, has a remote, has a subwoofer output has great reviews too and carries a 5 year warranty. The amps look fabulous in person to boot. I also think ASL is a bigger company...they certainly offer a lot more products. ASL has also won awards unlike Jolida. http://www.divertech.com/antiquesl.html

Forum Regular
    Not only will the sugden give you hours of music!
    It can act as a secondary heater in the winter! an instant space saver for those with rooms that cant accomodate a separate portable heater.

BTW, The ASL with remote also has a handy integrated biasing meter for quick an easy biasing without a separate volt meter for a price of 995 retail. Of course, you can buy it without the remote for 850. They dont advertise this on the site, but I have seen them on sale. For almost 150 dollars more, that is one expensive remote that only changes volume, however, if you find that you require a remote, that could be an option.

Once again, these 2 products are completely different price classes. It is likely that the sugden will sound better, however, it is also quite a bit more expensive (almost twice; 1600 vs 850). You might have a hard time finding the sugden compared to ASL, MF, or jolida. Have fun hunting.

Forum Regular
    I personally do not like the sound of Musical Fidelity. I would therefore recommend the Jolida. Since people seem to be giving you other choices, here is mine the Naim Nait 5. Great reviews in both Stereophile and the Absolute Sound, for what ever its worth. I my opinioin very hard to beat taking price vs. performance! Retail is @ 1500.
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nusiclover
    i am looking at two different amps (really different).

Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated
    vs.
    Jolida JD 302B Tube Inetrated

for $500, is the MF any better?
    I have a Musical Fidelity A3cr, and it is probably the best amp for the $$$ I've ever bought. It was rated "A" in Stereophile, and deserving of that rarefied rating. I've compared it against some very expensive amps from top manufactures like Classe, and Krell, and it's held it's own. If you have a chance to get one for a good price I would take it.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    yes, i have read many many rave reviews about the musical fidelitya3.2. however, these are $$$biased ratings about a popular amp. wether or not it beats out other ss amps is not in question, my question is "does it beat out similarly priced tube amps". now, i have heard that many reviewers pair the mf with dynaudio speakers. since i am getting dynaudio (becuase i am already locked into them instead of going with vr1 - a sad story but the 52se should hold some weight against the vr1) i am wondering :is there another amp youd recommened for dynaudio under $1500???

Forum Regular

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nusiclover
    yes, i have read many many rave reviews about the musical fidelitya3.2. however, these are $$$biased ratings about a popular amp. wether or not it beats out other ss amps is not in question, my question is "does it beat out similarly priced tube amps". now, i have heard that many reviewers pair the mf with dynaudio speakers. since i am getting dynaudio (becuase i am already locked into them instead of going with vr1 - a sad story but the 52se should hold some weight against the vr1) i am wondering :is there another amp youd recommened for dynaudio under $1500???
    I don't know how biased my review of the Musical Fidelity is, as I like so many different amps.

Just at the top of your price point is the outstanding PS Audio PCA-2 digital amp. Don't let the "digital" scare you, it sounds warm like a tube amp, but has gobs of power. It also can power low impedance loads with no problem.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Thread Information