Forum Regular

Question MUSICAL FIDELITY A5cr PRE & A5cr PWR AMPS

Hi have just become a member of Audio Review, and I would like to know if any other member has demoed or even owns the fabulous MF A5cr Pre and Pwr amps like I do, and what are he or she's opinions on this pairs sound quality?

I am using them, wait for it a Arcam CD72T (midrange cdp), Michell Gyrodec/QC PWR supply and Kef Ref 1:2 Floorstanding Spks.
    Thanks
    Yas
    Last edited by Yasvanth; 01-30-2007 at 08:40 AM.

Crackhead Extraordinaire Dusty Chalk's Avatar
    I think very highly of MF's higher end gear, such as the A5 series, and would definitely get it. I've heard its predecessor, the A308 -- after the A308 series, they split into the A3.5 and the A5 (sorta), so you're getting just about their top of the line gear (short of the kW series). It should sound exquisite.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    Quote Originally Posted by stevef22
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular

Smile Mf A5 Pre & Pwr Amps

Hi Peter,

What part of the world are you from?

Anyway thanks for replying. I have owned my MF A5cr Pre & Pwr amps for the last 9 months. The only problem with my amps are, is they do sound a bit boomy in the midrange especially when playing R'n'B music eg Usher, R Kelly, Beyonce. I upgraded from the Arcam A85 and P85 which were putting it blankly crap, they lacked that big muscular sound that MF amps are famous for and not as forgiving with bright or compressed recordings eg POP, ROCK etc.

The MF A5 Pre & Pwr produce a fantastic powerful sound and have loads of power in reserve. You can get better if you go for the KW range but my pockets aren't that deep.
    They are refined sounding but still have great detail, they do sound a touch flat when played at low volume eg 7 o'clock on the dial but the more you turn them up, then all that slam, detail and power hits you like a big gush of wind.
    I was extremely lucky to pick them up on Ebay , the seller was a Hifi Reviewer from a famous magazine who told me they were used in the review and only had 100 hrs use so they were virtually brand new.

Only problem is when playing R'n'B, other sorts of music is fine. Do you think MF amps on the whole are capable of playing R'n'B music or as they are refined sounding only suitable for Classical, Rock, Jazz, Pop etc.?

I recently upgraded my interconnects from the VDH D102 which I found just too smooth for my liking to the Nordost Red Dawn and now my amps to sound faster and more detailed but I still feel something is missing. Do you think the fault is my Arcam CD72T , Kef Ref 1:2 spks or my speaker cable which is VDH Cleartrack Biamped?

P.S What sort of system have you got at the moment?
    All the Best
    Yas

Hi Yasvanth,

Welcome to the site! I see you tried to add A5cr to our database, but we already have them!

A5cr Power Amp
    and
    A5cr Pre

go ahead and add your reviews!

Well, that depends -- what do you think is missing? Is it the "sound of power" at lower volumes? If so, I think it might be the speakers, but I'm only guessing. When I had a MF A300CR hooked up to my Dynaudios, I actually listened to them in the near field ...ish, so I usually listened to them at lower volumes, and they sounded plenty powerful. The Dynaudios like having lots of power in reserve, but otherwise they prefer to go loud, so I was fairly pleased to be able to listen to them like that.

Right now my system is in transition -- screwing around with the Special 25's, a pair of Pioneer HPM-200's, and thinking about getting a pair of Quad 22L's. So I've been listening to mostly headphones.

I live in the US.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Big MF fan here too.

My first real amp was a MF A3.2, which my brother has now. I presently have a kw500, probably one of the best muscle amps around. The bass just can't be beat, even on my Maggies (which aren't known for bass). Super-tight, punchy - people look around for a subwoofer when they hear it.
    There's an audiophile born every minute. Congratulations; you're right on time.

FREE RADICAL RADIO: Hours of free, radical MP3s!

Quote Originally Posted by Yasvanth
    The only problem with my amps are, is they do sound a bit boomy in the midrange
    What do you mean by midrange? If you're talking anything less than 300hz, I'd be willing to bet it's a room problem.

Forum Regular

Smile

Cheers Mike,

What does your MF KW500 sound like when playing R'n'B music ?
    Does it have a over blown sort of bass that is unbearable to listen to or is it very tight?

I own the MF A5cr Pre & A5cr Pwr amps a cheaper version of your fabulous amp, but I am getting this overblown midrange bass sound which is unbearable when listening to R'n'B music eg Usher, Alicia keys etc this never happened with my Arcam A85 and Arcam P85 amps do you think the new range of MF amps eg A5 series KW series, is capable of playing this style of music?

You asked me what is midrange! Well midrange is where all the voices and instruments are heard as naturally as possible.

Just one more thing before I part company if it is a room problem , as my system is in the dining room and measures 5m x 5m and i am unable to bring the spks away from the back wall, do you think changing my speaker cable to Nordost or even upgrading my CD player to a Arcam FMJ 33 or 36 will help?

Thanks

Yas
    Last edited by Yasvanth; 01-31-2007 at 05:42 AM.

Just one more thing before I part company if it is a room problem , as my system is in the dining room and measures 5m x 5m and i am unable to bring the spks away from the back wall...
    There's your problem right there.
    ...do you think changing my speaker cable to Nordost or even upgrading my CD player to a Arcam FMJ 33 or 36 will help?
    No. If it's "unbearable", you need to either (a) bring your speakers out, treat your room, and make it not square; (b) trade in your speakers for ones that can handle being up against the wall, such as the Dali on-wall speakers or something; or (c) EQ. This last one won't fix the problem, but it'll take it from "unbearable" to "bearable", methinks.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

Forum Regular
    Hi

Can somebody advice me on the best speaker cables to use with my MF A5cr Pre and Pwr amps. At the moment I am using VDH Cleartrack Biamped and I don't think they are good enough. I need a cable with fantastic detail and speed with no bass boominess if you get what I mean ?

Thanks
    Yas

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

It's the speakers...

Hey Yas,

Welcome to the forum. KEFs are famous for their "British" sound with elevated but seemingly smooth midrange qualities. Having used them as mains, and still employing them in a second system, I can tell you from experience that placement is critical. Having them directly against a wall will not only squelch the bass, but will exacerbate the already plentiful midrange.

Move them bad boys out and start enjoying your tunes.

Cheers

Forum Regular
    Hi thanks,

Unfortunately I cannot move the speakers any more away from the wall, this is due to the size of my room. At the moment I'll say roughly they are about 2" away from the back wall.
    So maybe a speaker cable or cd player upgrade may cure this smooth boomy midrange. Funny thing is, it only happens with R'n'B music, not with Dance, Rock or Pop.
    So have you got any suggestions?

Thanks
    Yas

Try something from the QED line of speaker cables. I really liked them.
    Eschew fascism.
    Truth Will Out.
    you guys are crackheads.
    I remain,
    Peter aka Dusty Chalk

What does your MF KW500 sound like when playing R'n'B music ?

Does it have a over blown sort of bass that is unbearable to listen to or is it very tight?
    I don't listen to much R&B, but I listen to an extremely wide variety of stuff, and the bass never sounds overblown. It is always tight and crisp.

I'd bet 100-to-1 that it's your room and/or the speaker placement in that room. Can you at least try moving the speakers around, if only temporarily, to see if you can isolate the problem?

Forum Regular
    Yas,
    Setup, room treatment and placement of speakers are the most important but ussually the most neglected aspect in audio. Get that right first, then think about fancy wires and source upgrade. I have never heard well balanced , 3dimensional holographic sound coming out of a badly setup system irrespective of price.

Thread Information