Forum Regular

Music Hall 25.2 vs. Cambridge azur 640

Just wondering people's opinions on Music Hall 25.2 amp and cd player vs. Cambridge azur 640 same. Thanks for any feedback

Forum Regular
    Still hoping for a pick between the cambridge 640A and music hall 25.2 for driving paradigm studio 20s and possibly tyler reference monitors (in the future). any tips greatly appreciated!

I've only heard the Maverick, but I was really impressed by it . The build quality was excellent and it had a cool feature that allowed you to change the upsampling on the fly via remote. The difference in sound was interesting. Roy Hall has a very good rep for providing excellent value in his products and I doubt you'd be disappointed.

I've had the 540 combo running for almost two years and couldn't be happier. Depending on how sensitive the Tylers are and your listening preferences, one of the CA's greatest strengths is its low level resolution. It easily bettered the NAD and Rotel I was comparing it to in this respect. IOW, you don't have to feed in a lot of juice to get it to sound right. My speaks are 95dB sensitive so I doubt I'm using even 1 watt, yet the music is full bodied and without any discernible dips in any particular part of the spectrum.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Forum Regular
    Thanks for the tips so far. I am starting to look at smaller amps, cambridge a300 in particular mainly for budget reasons, would that possibly work? Also for budget, I go back and forth between the 5 and 6 40 cd players, do I need to spend the extra for the 6? Thanks for all tips!

There are some other members here that have the 640 and they say it sounds noticeably better, especially the new V2. I have no problem with the 540, but I never compared it to the 640 and honestly, it's in my office so I'm not doing any critical listening with it. I will say it's durable as all get out considering it's playing on repeat for 9-10 hours/day, 5 days/wk.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I own the Azur 640 A and am impressed by the sound quality. It has worked flawlessly for 11 months now. How important is it for the cd player and amp to match. I was recently given a Marantz CD5001 cd player and thought I might return it and pay the difference for the CA player. I plugged in the Marantz and have been impressed with the sound quality for a $300 player. I will be keeping the Marantz.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    www.audioadvisor.com has the original Cambridge Audio 540 cd player for $200 and the 640 cdp for $368. The original series of amps are also discounted.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    Have decided to add Jolida 1301A to the debate, I hope to upgrade to tyler reference monitors in the future and that seems to be a recommended line for them, how would this one work with those and my current speakers, Paradigm studio 20s? Thanks for all pointers!

Thread Information