Forum Regular

Interfering signal

I've noticed a faint but present radio signal between songs and when I have music turned off but when power and volume are on. The volume of the signal is consistent regardless of what I have the amp set to. The signal becomes silent the moment music is present but it's still very annoying. Could running the amp from a power bar affect this, one that's not of great quality. The signal also is also only audible when I have my amp selected to CD player, which is also the only incoming signal I've allowed. Anyone experience this before?
    B&W 601 S2
    Rega Brio 3
    NAD C525BEE
    Tributaries & Audioquest connections

Suspended
    Those types of problems are annoying. The noise is probably still there when music plays, just covered by the music. It really could be a number of things, you'll have to try to isolate the source of the problem, try a different input on your amp, try different connectors to see if one is bad, as you suspect, try going directly from the wall outlet, try a 3 to 2 prong AC "cheater plug" which is said to sometimes be a cheap fix for ground loops, it may take moving equipment to another shelf. This should get you started. Also,try another cd player or other source to see if it has the same problem. Happy hunting

Forum Regular
    No thankfully the signal is completely gone when music plays. I have a few cd's with tracks that start of dead silent and no radio signal is audible during that time I"ll try your suggestions though, thanks.
    B&W 601 S2
    Rega Brio 3
    NAD C525BEE
    Tributaries & Audioquest connections

Suspended
    That's interesting. Most of the things I suggested would be for more of a consistent problem though. If you are using an analog output on the CD player, I'd almost suspect the player itself. I've heard similar problems with digital outs, sometimes a DAC may make a noise when searching or waiting on a signal.

Quote Originally Posted by calegrant
    I've noticed a faint but present radio signal between songs and when I have music turned off but when power and volume are on.
    Obviously, you are experiencing RFI. There are numerous causes and solutions to address them. A quite basic one is due to dirty and/or oxidized contacts. I would recommend starting with a good contact cleaner like Caig Pro Gold.

If the problem persists, then you need to isolate the cause. Does the amplifier alone do it when not connected to the source? Have you exchanged interconnects? The nature of the solution depends upon the answer to these and other questions.

rw

Ahh Hell No!!!!!!

It's annoying, isnt it? I had a similar problem, except that it was my tonearm that was picking up signals... I was picking up more than one channel at one point. Though we are in diffferent situation, I think it'll be safe to say one of the ways to cure would be to move your CDP and amp to different positions. Have you recently moved to a different house/apartment? Different gears? Different shelves on your rack?

Thread Information