AR Newbie Registered Member

Problem with Denon Receiver - Help!!!

I purchased a Denon receiver off of Craig's list and when I brought it home, I found that it will only play high frequencies, no mids or lows. What could cause this? Any idea a range on how much it would cost to be repaired? By the way, the model is Denon DRA-545R. Thanks.

Vinyl fan
    I have no idea what would be wrong - is it possible that there's a tone control somewhere and your bass is reduced to nill?

Bill

Friendly Advice, Don't buy electronics (or cars) from private sellers. I've screwed myself,
    once, and only once. Use ebay, amazon etc. All gear is tested, flaws revealed and
    a 30 day warranty is offered. Unless you get lucky craigslist is nothing but a yard sale on-
    line as far as I'm concerned. Sorry to hear about your problem. Good Luck.

BooBs are elitist jerks shokhead's Avatar
    How was it?
    Look & Listen

Generally good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by likeitloud
    Friendly Advice, Don't buy electronics (or cars) from private sellers. I've screwed myself,
    once, and only once. Use ebay, amazon etc. All gear is tested, flaws revealed and
    a 30 day warranty is offered. Unless you get lucky craigslist is nothing but a yard sale on-
    line as far as I'm concerned. Sorry to hear about your problem. Good Luck.
    One possible way to help minimize the risk with electronics is to always, with NO exceptions, bring a pair of decent headphones with you when buying. That way you can at least hert if anything works or not. I would hope the 'phones would have brought this fault to light.

...and, from what I've been reading about Ebay lately, it's not exactly a place to walk in blindfolded, either. Scammers and outright liars seem to abound.

Suspended
    What about volume, can you play the high frequencies loud. I've heard receivers with blown outputs sound like low-volume high frequencies. If the outputs are blown and you're handy with a soldering iron, you can make the repair yourself. Denon has discrete outputs which are mounted to the heatsink.

Not knowing the history and depending on how much you have wrapped up in the recever, you may be better off buying a replacement. It's possible the outputs took out a few other components in the chain with them.

Thread Information