Monster Power Amplifiers

Printable View

• 01-30-2011, 01:00 PM
    luckydoggoldminer
    Monster Power Amplifiers
    To Those Who Want To Take A Chance On A Great Discontinued Product, The Monster Power Amps Are Really A Great Amp. Designed By Richard Marsh And Damian Martin Of Spectral . I Have Three Of These Beasts And They Do Have Plenty Of Clean Power. Monster Has Discontinued Them So A Used One Is A Gamble. They Can Be Had For About Five To Eight Hundred On Ebay. The Emotiva Amps Should Also Be Considered And Are Well Made. The Cost Benefits To Go To Much More Expensive Amps Are Not Worth It In A Home Theatre Situation. In A Two Channel System It All Revolves Around Speakers And Source Material And To A Lesser Degree Amp And Preamp. The Monster Mpa 2250 Amp And 3250 Amp Are 250 Watts X2 Or 3 Channel Into 8 Olms. They Almost Double Their Output To 4 Olms. Good Luck!
  • 02-07-2011, 01:45 PM
    Mash
    SS amps *can* have a distortion curve that slopes downward as power increases, being a max % distortion at idle and with a minimum % distortion level occurring shortly before clipping. This is a trait worth checking for with any SS amp that is high-power w/r/t what your system routinely requires. "X% distortion at 300 watts" can be misleading.
  • 02-07-2011, 04:16 PM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

Originally Posted by luckydoggoldminer
    To Those Who Want To Take A Chance...

Here are a couple of observations. The only one available on ebay now sells for $1300. Look here. The amps were designed by Marsh and "The Monster" himself (aka Noel Lee). If you want a Marsh amp, then I would recommend buying a Marsh amp - not one where his only contribution is a schematic where the critical board layout and parts selection chosen by others.

As an aside, yours is the first post I've ever seen that uses mixed case for every single word. That looks very strange.

rw
  • 02-08-2011, 07:36 PM
    luckydoggoldminer
    Monster Power Amps
    These amps sound really clean and have lots of guts in the power supply. I do not have zillions to spend on a krell. These work for me, middle aged tinnitus ringing half brian dead magnepan fan........
  • 02-09-2011, 05:22 AM
    Feanor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Stat
    Here are a couple of observations. The only one available on ebay now sells for $1300. Look here. The amps were designed by Marsh and "The Monster" himself (aka Noel Lee). If you want a Marsh amp, then I would recommend buying a Marsh amp - not one where his only contribution is a schematic where the critical board layout and parts selection chosen by others.

As an aside, yours is the first post I've ever seen that uses mixed case for every single word. That looks very strange.

rw

For half that price you can have new Class-D-Audio SDS 258 with equivalent specifications; (kit+case+connectors ~$600). Possibly better sound too.