Forum Regular

Question Chossing a new receiver w/ appropriate amps

I'm buying a new HT receiver for my system and have narrowed it down to a few choices. I'm just wondering which of these systems is most likely going to be the best match *amplifier wise* to my speaker setup.

-Sony STR-DE897
    -Sony STR-DA1000ES
    -Yamaha HTR-5750
    -Yamaha HTR-5760

My speakers:
    Front: Infinity Delta 60 (3-way tower, 6ohm, 50min/200peak, biwired)
    Surround Side: Infinity Delta 60 (3-way tower, 6ohm, 50min/200peak, non-biwired)
    Center: Infinity Delta Center (2-way, 6ohm, 25min/150peak)
    Surround Rear: *undecided* (Delta 40's?)
    Sub: Infinity Entra powered sub + JBL DPS-10 powered sub

I think all the receivers are capable (although I'm a little skeptical about the 897). How does the ES compare to the 5760?

THanks!

-Olen

I'm not a huge fan of any audio products that Sony makes short of their "es" SACD players and that's only for SACD playback. Their redbook isn't my cup 'o tea. Their receivers have always sounded very thin, tinny, and dynamically compressed to my ears. The operative phrase being "to my ears," ymmv.

Yamaha designs, engineers, and builds everything in their receivers including the boards, amps, and processing chips. That alone warrants respect. According to Woochifer, they also have one the lowest failure rates therefore I'd definitely go for the Yammie.

Good luck and buy what moves you.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    I'm not a huge fan of any audio products that Sony makes short of their "es" SACD players and that's only for SACD playback. Their redbook isn't my cup 'o tea. Their receivers have always sounded very thin, tinny, and dynamically compressed to my ears. The operative phrase being "to my ears," ymmv.

Yamaha designs, engineers, and builds everything in their receivers including the boards, amps, and processing chips. That alone warrants respect. According to Woochifer, they also have one the lowest failure rates therefore I'd definitely go for the Yammie.

Good luck and buy what moves you.
    This is somewhat my opinion as well, however I was fairly pleased with my previous Sony STR-DB830 receiver and so I thought I'd take a look at Sony again. I'd be interested if anyone has compared the 1000ES to the 5760.

Thanks,

Olen

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Well until you get the actual number in the form of a percentage on a global scale of breakdowns as fact then I would not pay too much head to anecdotal reports of failures from internet folk.

As to the receivers themselves there is likely no real difference between them sonically - so buy the one that is superior on the features front and has the most upgradability. I chose the Marantz 4300 not because it's better than the comparable Yamaha - but because it had the same or similar features had pre-outs so that you could add a separate power amp - usually dismal ones are put into receivers - the Marantz also had 1 more year on the warranty over Yamaha or Sony - was cheaper and heavier.

For me preouts is a deal breaker - today's receivers have all the surround modes that matter - yes there is probably yet another Dolby DSP super shmuper multi-jamping steering 48.1 surround system - seeemingly such gimmicks come out weekly when in fact most people could give a rats ass because it's just tiring to play the keep up with the gimmick game.

Sony has made good and bad receivers - so has Denon, Marantz and Yamaha - this site is a few years old but listen to the revcievers in a blind panel of listeners - and some Sony's do well but even Denon and Yamaha took some complaints on the two pages. newer receivers add features as they're all prretty much the same now. The Denon 3805 is supposed to be much improved though. http://hifichoice.co.uk/review_list....category=MULTI

Big science. Hallelujah. noddin0ff's Avatar
    I've been very happy with my Yammie (5 years). It's probably similar to the 5760. My critical test for units like this is to turn the volume all the way up with no input. The unit with the least hiss wins. I've alway found Yamaha to win in this test. I can't stand to have ANY hiss between tracks. I've generally preferred Yamaha to Sony just for build and aesthetics. Look at Onkyo too in this range. When I shopped, I liked the sound and build of the Onkyo, but chose against it because the increments in the volume control were too large. If it weren't for that...

What the world needs now is not another DSP mode.

noddin0ff

Thread Information