Thread: Nad C372

AR Newbie Registered Member

Nad C372

Hi All

New to this so forgive lack of knowledge/expertise!

I have just replaced my 25 year old NAD 3020 as the volume and balance controls were playing up and I had a rush of blood to the head.

Unless I have set up the new C372 incorrectly (and I have tried exhaustive permutations), it is utter, utter rubbish in comparison to the 3020. It is nothing to do with my ears becoming accustomed to the style of the 3020 as, amongst others, I have tested the difference with my 7 year old son and 9 year old daughter neither of whom listen to my system regularly. They both instantly recognised a massive difference and instantly prefered the sound of the 3020 - they said they couldn't 'hear' the 372.

The bass is short, the mid range is 'clacky' and hard, and the treble is virtually non existent. Imagine the mute pedal of a piano permanently on. There is absolutely no depth - it sounds no better than the mini ghetto blaster I bought in 1980.

The sensation is as if it's sucking in rather than blowing out!

I have re-installed my 3020, which incidently seems to offer virtually as much power as the 372, and have put the 372 back in the box.

Assuming that you haven't set the speakers out of phase and the unit is not defective, then it really may just be that your old 3020 totally outclasses the 372....

Keep in mind that the 3020 is a legendary product.... while the 372 is more of a "best of the current crop" amp....

Now in fairness to the 372, the difference may be more to the combination of equipment you have... I'm a strong believer in system synergy.... and you have a setup up already geared around the 3020.... so maybe with different speakers and source you might actually prefer the 372....

I owned a 352 for almost 2 years and could not never figure out what all the hype over NAD was about.... but I suspect that with different speakers and source I might have had a better experience.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    You might want to check out Cambridge Audio Azur integrated amps. Very good sound for the money.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

I owned a C270

Quote Originally Posted by brockers
    Hi All
    I have just replaced my 25 year old NAD 3020 as the volume and balance controls were playing up and I had a rush of blood to the head.
    The bass is short, the mid range is 'clacky' and hard, and the treble is virtually non existent. Imagine the mute pedal of a piano permanently on. There is absolutely no depth - it sounds no better than the mini ghetto blaster I bought in 1980.

The sensation is as if it's sucking in rather than blowing out!

I have re-installed my 3020, which incidently seems to offer virtually as much power as the 372, and have put the 372 back in the box.
    The C270 was the predeceasor of the C272 which is the power section of the C372. At first I thought the C270 sounded pretty good, (that was right after retiring my Phase Linear 400), but I got a real eye-opener when I listened to what became my current amps. By comparison the bass was loose and boomy and mids and highs lacked resolution and 'air'.

Based on my limited personal experience, NAD does indeed suck rather than blow. The models I've heard are what some call "mid-fi".

Sounds like a defect to me if it's nearly as serious as you make it seem. That just doesn't sound common at all. I have owned the NAD C372 for a year now and have been very pleased with it as I use it to power my surround speakers. I am guessing that you are plugging the RCA connects into the NAD's CD input on the back? Check to make sure that everything looks good in the back as well. Make sure that the 'jumpers' are back there, make sure that everything is as it should be. Did you buy the unit new or used?

I second the above. Sounds like there might be an issue with the unit you have. Are you sure the speakers are in phase. I own the C352 and love everything about it. Even if everything seems fine you might want to exchange it with another unit to make sure.

Thread Information