Thread: Message for RGA

Forum Regular

Message for RGA

Hey RGA,
    You said you wanted an AN preamp right? What about a genuine AudioNote preamp DIY version? Comes full with a phono stage. Later on you can even upgrade you parts to blackgates, AN tants and paper in oil. Now here is the real good news:

The website www.audionotekits.com is actually Canadian operated. I emailed Brian Smith and he said that the shipping is relatively cheap and the products are without duty, which is good for us Canadians. Anyways...so here is the price...$649 US. Which isnt too bad considering the price of all their other products. This preamp is par with the M7, which isnt actually around....but the website says that...I may actually get one of these myself. Sounds like a lot of fun to build...and I get a phono stage!

RGA
    Forum Regular
    It Looks good but I'm not really a builder (worried I screw it up) I would go with the bottlehead Foreplay if I were to try and build one ... nor do I have the time these days.

Though it sure looks pretty good and the M7 was a multi thousand dollar unit...the M2 is ~2kUS. But it does say loosely based - how loose is the question.

I'm also thinking about the AN J so when I head out there I'll talk it over with the dealer - To determine the more noticable upgrade path. For instance the pre may not work well with my Sugden which means an integrated amp would probably be better or the P Zero, M Zero combo.

Forum Regular
    Im really considering this one. Now that I look at it again, I really doubt its at par with the M7. I think maybe more around the M2 level. However, if I upgrade the parts in the future, I could easily pass for an M3 I would guess. Plus, I need a phono stage anyways. I have done electronics in the past, so I know how to read circuits and my soldering is pretty good. I'm looking at kit 1 as well, which is no feedback, directly heated. That would constitute an L3. Except, the price the kit1 is...1400...which is a real big bite in the arse...But I have heard many good things about it from reviews of past builders. Probably check out soundhounds Soro as a rough estimate of these 2 parts together.

Brian just returned another email and said the E speaker kit two is 1000 USD. Except, I'm no carpenter, so it might be risky. I would guess that speakers are a little more finicky when it comes to cabinet and the little details. For electronics, as long as the connection is good...its all good.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    The other thing with the E kit is that I don't think you get the wood for the speakers - just the diagram.

You're in a better postion if you feel comfortable with kits - you'll save yourself quite a bit of money.

Thread Information