Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: McIntosh preamp?

Quote Originally Posted by blackraven View Post
    Feanor, if you get a chance, go listen to the new 3.7i's. They sound awesome. I would love to have a pair in my system.
    I'd certainly like to hear them, but then I'd probably want them.

Forum Regular
    Bluetrain, I see you have a Parasound Halo A21 there. How do you like it? I have one. I replaced it with my Pass X250 and gave the A21 to my son to use for now. I love the attack of the A21, it is much better than my Pass in that respect. The leading edge of guitar and piano is much more real, where the Pass smooths that over and many smooth or liquid sounding amps do. I miss that in the Pass and it is my only real complaint about the X250. The Ayre VX-5 that I listened to had the same problem.
    BR, I love my A21. Great amp. Very competent. Just not "audiophile politically correct" ;-)
    It replaced McCormack dna225, which I had for a few months, and couldn't live with it.
    You won't believe how good it sounds when connected to the BAT 42se. Unbelievable. One has to listen to believe it.
    I'm thinking about getting the Bat vk255se in the near future. Should be interesting shootout.

Quote Originally Posted by bluetrain View Post
    BR, I love my A21. Great amp. Very competent. Just not "audiophile politically correct" ;-)
    It replaced McCormack dna225, which I had for a few months, and couldn't live with it.
    You won't believe how good it sounds when connected to the BAT 42se. Unbelievable. One has to listen to believe it.
    I'm thinking about getting the Bat vk255se in the near future. Should be interesting shootout.

I love my A21. It has a little grain and it is not as transparent as more expensive amps but it has gobs of power, deep and controlled bass and sweet highs. It needs a tube preamp to sound the best IMHO. I used a Van Alstine hybrid tube preamp and hybrid DAC. I am going to put it back in my main system just to hear how it sounds with an audiophile preamp-my Pass X1.

I am surprised that you preferred it over the DNA. The DNA 500 is supposed to be a killer amp
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    Jack, since you asked, we had an ARC dealer, well, we have a new one now, but I've heard a fair amount of ARC and even auditioned an amp/preamp when I owned Dyn's, before buying my CJ. This is just my own taste, I do not like ARC. I also have heard a lot of Mac and although I like it better than ARC, I would not have it in my system either.

I heard an ARC Ref Preamp some years back connected to Classe monoblocks driving the top Nautilus Diamond. Big price tag but just didn't do anything for me. In fact, I've heard B&W a lot driven by ARC and Classe amps, to Mac's credit it wasn't until I heard the big Nautilus lit up by the 1k monoblocks I gained new respect for the speaker. I had no idea the big boys could do bass like that.

I respect both lines and recommend them if some one is looking for their type of sound.

Mr. P, the ARC LS 27 surprised me with its darker, warmer sound. It had great air and transparency. It was the warmest and darkest of the 3 preamps that I listened to. It may have been the pairing with the Ayre CD player and amp. The Mac certainly was not warm.

I just saw that the CJ ET-3se was put back up for sale. The guy never responded to me. I think I pissed him of with an initial low ball offer so that we could negotiate the price. The guy had best offer listed in his ad. I may rebid on it.
    Last edited by blackraven; 01-30-2014 at 10:50 PM.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Mr. P, the ARC LS 27 surprised me with its darker, warmer sound. It had great air and transparency. It was the warmest and darkest of the 3 preamps that I listened to. It may have been the pairing with the Ayre CD player and amp. The Mac certainly was not warm.

I just saw that the CJ ET-3se was put back up for sale. The guy never responded to me. I think I pissed him of with an initial low ball offer so that we could negotiate the price. The guy had best offer listed in his ad. I may rebid on it.
    Hopefully you'll have better luck this time. Some sellers say right in their write-up that low ballers will be ignored, obviously this guy didn't. Good luck.
    2 Channel System
    Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Pro-ject SE II (Phono Box)
    Rotel RCD-1072 (CD Player)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )
    Sennheiser HD-600 (Headphones)
    Musical Fidelity Xcan V3 (Headphone Amp) _

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)
    Yamaha RX-A830 (Receiver)
    Panasonic TH-46PZ85U (Plasma TV)
    Denon DBT-1713UD (BluRay/SACD)

The MP-3's volume control is not digital, it is a ladder type and it need a motor installed and it takes up 12-15hrs to install the motor so you can't use a universal remote. Apparently it took a while because they did not want any interference with the sound. The stepped control has large steps and it works well but you can't get fine control. When you turn the volume knob, it goes "thunk" into the next step (it does not make any noise but you feel the thunk).

The Van Alstine remote use to be a $200 option but it has gone up in price. It is also motorized and makes the knob turn. The remote control unit is basic and only does volume and mute. A little pricey at $300.
    Man....the remote Peabody got with his AVA was like a toy....I couldnt believe the way that remote look...it was like out of a cracker jack box...a little plastic thing.
    Music...let it into your soul and be moved....with Canton...Pure Music

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Jack, since you asked, we had an ARC dealer, well, we have a new one now, but I've heard a fair amount of ARC and even auditioned an amp/preamp when I owned Dyn's, before buying my CJ. This is just my own taste, I do not like ARC. I also have heard a lot of Mac and although I like it better than ARC, I would not have it in my system either.

I heard an ARC Ref Preamp some years back connected to Classe monoblocks driving the top Nautilus Diamond. Big price tag but just didn't do anything for me. In fact, I've heard B&W a lot driven by ARC and Classe amps, to Mac's credit it wasn't until I heard the big Nautilus lit up by the 1k monoblocks I gained new respect for the speaker. I had no idea the big boys could do bass like that.

I respect both lines and recommend them if some one is looking for their type of sound.
    Interesting that you didn't like ARC or Mac. I know both brands have a strong following on here and other websites. I felt the same way about the B&W 800's, that they never really grabbed me and my dealer tried Musical Fidelity, Mac, and Ayre. They eventually dropped the line and picked up Wilson and they do sound better on Ayre electronics. They've since dropped Musical Fidelity and Mac also and picked up ARC and Bryston. They have the ARC gear driving the Sonus Faber speakers.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    Wow. That never even entered my mind. Next week I'll do that and pretend like I'm auditioning at my hifi shop. Thanks Frenchy
    Well I know the Dyns and Usher have 2 total sound signatures with the Usher being more lively. It might actually have better synergy with the Pass than the more neutral Dyns. Do you have the Diamond tweeter with your Ushers?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    W10 i5 Quad core processor 8GB RAM/Jriver 20/ Fidelizer Optimizer/ iFI Micro DSD DAC-iUSB 3.0/Vincent SA - T1/Vincent SP-331 MK /MMF-7.1/2M BLACK/MS Phenomena ll+/Canton Vento 830.2

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmon View Post
    Well I know the Dyns and Usher have 2 total sound signatures with the Usher being more lively. It might actually have better synergy with the Pass than the more neutral Dyns. Do you have the Diamond tweeter with your Ushers?
    No, When I got these I would have had to go up to the BE-718 to get the beryllium tweeter which as it turned out wasn't a true beryllium tweeter after all. The diamond came out a couple years later. The X719's have a nice smooth presentation and the 7" woofers can move some air. They sound great in my HT application.

I may bring the S520's over and give them a spin on the Pass also.
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

This interesting about the LS27. I think I could like that: uncompromised air & transparency combined with warmth and darkness. I enjoyed the Adcom GFA 555II which was a rather warm & dark, (though a bit grainy and not top notch for air & transparency). Do you suppose associated equipment affected your impression relative to the other preamps?

My Pass X150.5 produced the best overall instrument sound, imaging, and dynamics I've personally heard but it isn't warm; also, solo and primary instruments tend to be brought forward a bit in soundstage, and highs (strings, brass) at higher volumes can sound strident in case of some recordings. Or maybe the last characteristic is caused of my current s/s ARC LS9 which has fine air & transparency and also dynamics but is certainly is neither warm nor dark. I wonder how an LS16 or 17 would sound?

I liked the ARC but I liked the MP-3 better. I think that the Ayre CD player and amp contributed to the warmth. The ARC sounded better on the Magnepan 1.7's vs the 3.7i's.

Feanor, I bet that your amp would sound better with a higher end ARC.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Forum Regular
    I love my A21. It has a little grain and it is not as transparent as more expensive amps but it has gobs of power, deep and controlled bass and sweet highs. It needs a tube preamp to sound the best IMHO. I used a Van Alstine hybrid tube preamp and hybrid DAC. I am going to put it back in my main system just to hear how it sounds with an audiophile preamp-my Pass X1.

I am surprised that you preferred it over the DNA. The DNA 500 is supposed to be a killer amp
    I never had a grain with a21. Could be the room, cables or other electronics. Who knows. I used it with CJ pv15 hybrid, Atoll pr300 solid state, and now sometimes Bat 42se, and grain was never there. Go figure. But still I won't recommend getting that particular CJ for your Pass. Your business of course, but be a little patient

As for McCormack, don't know what to say. I never heard the dna500.
    First got the 125, which was a very unremarkable amp, next was 225. My speakers at that time were Vandy 2 sigs. The main reason for buying McCormacs were user comments, where many of them referring to them as being tubelike. Then I realize that they, actually, were parroting each other and never knew how tubes sound. Now, when I have a tube amp too, I can say with confidence that those particular McCormacks were nothing like tubes. Quite the opposite. Again, can't comment on dna500, but I suspect it should have at least a bit of their house sound, which is not tubey.
    Last edited by bluetrain; 01-31-2014 at 10:06 AM.
    Mr Peabody likes this.

You are lucky not to hear the grain in the A21. Even the pro reviews have mentioned it. You have to listen for it as it is not in your face. My preamp and dac are very revealing (Van Alstine).
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

I just returned from the HiFi shop and have come to the conclusion that I probably need to upgrade my DAC first and foremost.

I brought my DAC and Pass X1 preamp to the shop and hooked it up to a Mac MC452 amp which is more in line with my X250 and the magnepan 1.7's which are better sounding than my 1.6's. (the X250 was more liquid and had more slam than the SS Mac, but the Mac had a fuller midrange and much better attack, more like my Parasound A21). I then compared it to the ARC LS27 and the Atma Sphere MP3 preamps with my DAC. The X1 and ARC were some what similar in sound-in air, transparency and sound stage but the ARC was darker and slightly warmer with a fuller midrange. The MP3 has a warmer bottom end, more bass slam and a lush to die for midrange, but the highs this time were a little bright. The ARC was the most quiet. Detail on all three were similar. The X1 sounded thin in the midrange compared to the other 2. This time around I preferred the ARC over the MP3 with my DAC. But the too are close. The MP3's midrange was just out standing and vocals were to die for.

I think that I can live with the X1 if I can find a fuller sounding DAC or CD player. I am going to go back in a couple of weeks and listen to a couple of Ayre CD players and an ARC DAC. I am also going to buy the Cardas Parsec IC's for their warm detailed sound. I am also considering a Marantz 11s3 SACD player.

I would still like to hear a BAT and CJ ET-3se preamp but I have a feeling that the CJ preamp (which sells for $4K) will be out classed by the more expensive preamps. Higher price definitely gets you better sound and I wonder if the CJ would be a step down from the X1 in detail and sound stage.

By the way, I got to hear a $120,000 system.
    Wilson Alexia speakers at $48K pr, Ayre Mxr Monoblocks $19k each, Ayre preamp $19K and a $16K Wadia CD player along with a few thousand dollars of cables. The sound was awesome. No weaknesses. The sound stage was huge, imaging was spectacular. The sound was airy and lush at the same time. Tone from top to bottom was smooth with a hint of warmth. I would have loved to hear the 3.7i maggies with this gear.

Any way, after this adventure I am more confused than anything. The problem living in the Twin Cities is that there are so few high end dealers (3) and none of them carry the BAT, CJ or Marantz reference lines.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Suspended
    I would be interested in knowing how the Ayre disc players sound, I was seriously considering one before the deal on the 512 fell my way.

BR, why don't you and Feanor trade preamps?

Glad you got to go listen to some gear, it gives experience and reference points. If they let you bring your gear in like that they must be pretty cool to work with.

I would be interested in knowing how the Ayre disc players sound, I was seriously considering one before the deal on the 512 fell my way.

Glad you got to go listen to some gear, it gives experience and reference points. If they let you bring your gear in like that they must be pretty cool to work with.
    I don't think that the LS 9 would give me the sound that I am looking for. The LS 27 is a little dark and warm, every thing that an ARC preamp was not supposed to be. I was impressed. I may give a look at the LS 26. I am going to try and talk to ARC. I tried calling them today and got a voice mail. I may have to stop by their factory which is about 40 minutes away.

My audio shop was great. They wanted me to bring in the Pass amp but at about 110lbs I was not about to move it. They actually encourage you to bring your gear in.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Raven...man..you are getting down and having to much fun over there with some exciting gear! The MP-3's brightness is probably about finding the right tubes...and man I wish I could tag along with you...and i do want to say...good for you on the Cardas copper cable...I understand those to be outstanding and that particular cable has no silver in them to fake anything. Good for you man!

Peabody...I would think with the ARC LS being discontinued in 1999 that it would be a little more dated than the Pass Labs X1.

Currently I am contemplating buying a BAT VK-51se. It sold for $9k new. I think it will give me the sound that I am looking for. I would prefer a VK-32se but they are priced too high. I talked to a guy at BAT and he thinks that it would be a great match with my Pass amp. The guy is friends with Nelson Pass and highly respects his amps.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Currently I am contemplating buying a BAT VK-51se. It sold for $9k new. I think it will give me the sound that I am looking for. I would prefer a VK-32se but they are priced too high. I talked to a guy at BAT and he thinks that it would be a great match with my Pass amp. The guy is friends with Nelson Pass and highly respects his amps.
    Are you still going to listen to some Ayre CD players and ARC DAC?
    2 Channel System
    Pass Labs X150.5 (Amp)
    Cary SLP-03 (Preamp)
    Music Hall MMF 5.1 (TT)
    Goldring 1012GX (Cart.)
    Bryston BDA-1 ( DAC )

HT System
    Usher X-719 (Mains)
    Usher X-616 (Center)
    Usher S-520 (Surrounds)
    Rel T2 (Subwoofer)
    Anthem MCA20 (Amp)

There is a regular poster on the Stereophile site who after hearing an Oppo BD105 sold his Ayre player and replaced it with the Oppo.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

TheBAT VK-51se, based on anything I've heard about is extremely worthy of consideration. I definitely put it ahead of the McIntosh in my own priorities. Sometime you hear that the BAT sound is a little on the dark side but that factor alone wouldn't bother me personally.

It seems to have the right stuff, including fully balanced circuitry and non-cathode, no-buffer design yet still with low output impedance. It's an impressive box of stuff as this pic reveals ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    Are you still going to listen to some Ayre CD players and ARC DAC?

Yes, some time in the next 2-3 weeks. I definitely need to upgrade my DAC which is the weak link now although it held its own when I brought it to the stereo shop. But I feel that I need to get tubes in the preamp. My Magnepans could really benefit from them. Just hearing the difference between the X1 and the tubed ARC LS 27 and the MP3 confirmed that.

Feanor, you have to give a listen to the new 1.7's. They sound much better than the 1.6's. They have a more coherent sound and they don't have the mid bass hump that the 1.6's have. They are a little more detailed and are much smoother sounding.
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Parasound A21 amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Feanor, you have to give a listen to the new 1.7's. They sound much better than the 1.6's. They have a more coherent sound and they don't have the mid bass hump that the 1.6's have. They are a little more detailed and are much smoother sounding.
    I'm quite willing to believe that the 1.7's are better and I could probably trade up for C$1200-1300 or so. The nearest dealer is in Toronto which is about a 4.5 hour round trip so which is non-trivial at least in winter time, and right now I'm broke having bought a new DAC, the Schiit Bifrost Uber, a new preamp, the LS9, and new amp, the X150.5 in the last 8 months or so.

Fortunately I'm quite pleased with my current setup including the speakers so I will most likely hold out for another year on further upgrades

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information