Thread: McIntosh MC7205

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

McIntosh MC7205

This anvil of a beast arrived at the house on Friday. Sixty-five pounds of American muscle amp later I am a changed man. The margin of difference between my Rotel and the receiver is equivalent to the difference between the Mac and the Rotel.

There is a certain synergy between the Martin Logans and the McIntosh that, to these ears, can't be beat. While always powering the current-hungry MLs with efficiency, the Rotel displayed a tautness, or rigidity, that kept me millimeters from full immersion within the music. With the Mac any hint of that is gone. Details are crisper without the faint imbalance toward the sizzling highs--although the best metaphor I can come up with is a comfortable fireplace in the winter months. Lovely and peaceful.

Running all channels through the same amp has made leveling a simple propostion, so that's another plus. Only a slight reduction in overall power makes this a less than perfect solution, and condo living makes concert-level listening impossible in all but the most gonzo situations. I can confidently say that my search for amplification is done for the next twenty years or so.

Peace out

McIntosh MC7205-edit-mcintosh.jpg

Hey, nice!! Congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    This anvil of a beast arrived at the house on Friday. Sixty-five pounds of American muscle amp later I am a changed man. The margin of difference between my Rotel and the receiver is equivalent to the difference between the Mac and the Rotel.

There is a certain synergy between the Martin Logans and the McIntosh that, to these ears, can't be beat. While always powering the current-hungry MLs with efficiency, the Rotel displayed a tautness, or rigidity, that kept me millimeters from full immersion within the music. With the Mac any hint of that is gone. Details are crisper without the faint imbalance toward the sizzling highs--although the best metaphor I can come up with is a comfortable fireplace in the winter months. Lovely and peaceful.

Running all channels through the same amp has made leveling a simple propostion, so that's another plus. Only a slight reduction in overall power makes this a less than perfect solution, and condo living makes concert-level listening impossible in all but the most gonzo situations. I can confidently say that my search for amplification is done for the next twenty years or so.

Peace out

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	edit McIntosh.JPG 
Views:	433 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	2407
    I've always loved the Mac look; unfortunately I've never had the chance to evaluate the sound. More modern amps like the MC7205 have a rep that is improved over those of the '80s.

Are you using the 7205 for mulitchannel or for biamping?

What's next? An MX119 or 135 or if stereo, a C46/46 or C220 or 2200?

Hey Bobsticks,

It has landed then.....Congrats......

I am pleased for you. Wishing you many peaceful musical times with the new amp. I bet the MLs sing like never before.

Peace and keep'm spinning

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Bobsticks that is a beautiful amp.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Thanks guys. For whatever reason I have always downplayed the effects of an amp compared to speakers but my entrenchment in that camp is questionable. Wow, what a difference.

As for what's next, I don't know. Every time I speculate something completely different falls into my lap so I am remaining open-minded. For this system the basic synergy is there, so I might look for a quality RBCD source and a decent universal. I have yet to be completely satisfied with any all-in-one units so I may bite the bullet and go with seperates. Hhhmmm...

Of course, there is always the possibility of tweaking my second/computer system at home. Completely different room, completely different needs so that might be interesting. At the moment I am not terribly concerned with anything more than enjoying what I have now. Alot of grateful listening going on at this end.

Ooops

In reply to Feanor, I am currently using the Mac for multi-channel, so the possibility is there of adding more beef with some mono blocks. I think about this every time I go to my audio dealer but then I remember how much I like to eat...

Amps are right up there

Quote Originally Posted by bobsticks
    Thanks guys. For whatever reason I have always downplayed the effects of an amp compared to speakers but my entrenchment in that camp is questionable. Wow, what a difference.

As for what's next, I don't know. Every time I speculate something completely different falls into my lap so I am remaining open-minded. For this system the basic synergy is there, so I might look for a quality RBCD source and a decent universal. I have yet to be completely satisfied with any all-in-one units so I may bite the bullet and go with seperates. Hhhmmm...
    I consider them less important than speakers but second to them in priority. If you're happy with your speakers, then amp is next. Currently I'm content with both my speakers and power amps, so I've been looking at other things too.

First, preamp. I was disappointed to realized that my Adcom GFP-750's balanced outputs are actually only balanced in active mode, but that in active mode it sounded quite bright or "silvery". Right now I'm awaiting delivery of a Sonic Frontiers Line 1 bought on Audiogon; then on to some tube rolling!

Secondly, a DAC. I recently bought an Assemblage DAC 1.5, mainly because it has a HDCD decoder. I was disappointed with the sound -- detailed but very bright. So I had it upgraded by Parts Connexion with new op amps, RCA connectors, and some silver wire: big improvement after some burn-in.

Third, I swapped out the Asseblage's original 6 foot, standard 18 ga. power cord for a 3 foot. Belden 14 ga shielded cable with Wattcom & Marinco connectors. My expectations were very low, but I supect it made as much difference as the op amp ugrade. Brightness completely gone and transparency & soundstage improved. Who'd have thought??? It's wonderful to discover that some of your recordings are far better than you'd ever suspected.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I consider them less important than speakers but second to them in priority. If you're happy with your speakers, then amp is next. Currently I'm content with both my speakers and power amps, so I've been looking at other things too.

First, preamp. I was disappointed to realized that my Adcom GFP-750's balanced outputs are actually only balanced in active mode, but that in active mode it sounded quite bright or "silvery". Right now I'm awaiting delivery of a Sonic Frontiers Line 1 bought on Audiogon; then on to some tube rolling!

Secondly, a DAC. I recently bought an Assemblage DAC 1.5, mainly because it has a HDCD decoder. I was disappointed with the sound -- detailed but very bright. So I had it upgraded by Parts Connexion with new op amps, RCA connectors, and some silver wire: big improvement after some burn-in.

Third, I swapped out the Asseblage's original 6 foot, standard 18 ga. power cord for a 3 foot. Belden 14 ga shielded cable with Wattcom & Marinco connectors. My expectations were very low, but I supect it made as much difference as the op amp ugrade. Brightness completely gone and transparency & soundstage improved. Who'd have thought??? It's wonderful to discover that some of your recordings are far better than you'd ever suspected.
    Hi Bill,

Who has been a busy boy then? Good on you. It is indeed great when the system gets a shot in the arm so to speak.
    How is everything your end?

Peace

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

congrats with the new amp bobsticks!
    (congrats to feanor too, because of the new things he ordered)

I can only dream about owning such an amp, and such speakers...

...for now...

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Thanks for the kind thoughts Bert. As I recall you are quite young. As such, no worries, my friend. You've got plenty of time and with such a focus at a young age I'm sure you'll have a system that pleases you in no time.

Feanor, I too have been curious about DACs. At this point I have been considering a decent audio card with a digital out in my second system. My audio guru has been playing around the Scott Nixon DAC that gets so much good press in here. Who knows where it will go? It sounds like you are really in the final tweaking stages and I'm sure you're being rewarded for it. Good show.

For redbook playback I have been considering something with a tube stage.At this point I need to take a minute and accurately assess what my system needs are.

Bit of a cold

Quote Originally Posted by Bernd
    Hi Bill,

Who has been a busy boy then? Good on you. It is indeed great when the system gets a shot in the arm so to speak.
    How is everything your end?

Peace

Bernd
    But the real problem is I'm tenterhooks waiting for my Sonic Frontiers to ship. First, had to send a money order which took six days. The seller acknowledged receipt on Monday but has yet to ship the preamp. I dare say all will turn out well, but I'm impatient.

Blue Glow. Mmmmmmmmmm

Forum Regular
    The Mac sure looks awesome!

Thread Information