McIntosh Amp question

Printable View

• 01-10-2008, 02:54 PM
    blackraven
    McIntosh Amp question
    I've found a couple of used McIntosh power amps for sale, the 2ch MC162 and the 6ch MC2100. I was wondering if any one has had any experience with these amps. It looks like they have been factory refurbished and are selling for about $1,100 and $1,500 respectively.
    Thanks,
    Larry
  • 01-10-2008, 03:22 PM
    bobsticks
    Hey Larry,

The MC2100 is internally very similar to the 2105 which is not the best reviewed amp in the McIntosh lineup and, as such, is geneologicaly-speaking the quirky uncle of my 7205. Of course, that's the equivalent of being the tenth richest guy in OPEC---still pretty darn well off.

What I can tell you is this, a few months ago when I was considering chucking it all and joining the SET/Lowther crowd it was the Mac, not the Martin Logans, that kept me in the game. The Mac brought an undeniable refinement over my previous Rotel components (and I'm not a Rotel basher, much to the contrary). It's "house sound" is silky smooth with crystalline definement and a "blackness" in the background, if that makes any sense at all.

Scanning your equipment list I'm guessing that you're powering the Maggies with the Adcom. If so this will be a difference, although as always what's spectacular to my ears may not be to yours---but I doubt it. I suspect it would also mate well with the analytical nature of the new Cambridge.

Two additional thoughts: One, if you get it and don't like it you should have no problem with resale. Mac gear holds its value like few others, and two, a trip to the Mac factory is probably a desirable thing and a selling point as these guys rarely skimp and quite possibly there were some sizeable upgrades done.

Good luck with whatever decision you make and have fun.
  • 01-10-2008, 03:43 PM
    blackraven
    Thanks! It seems like a good deal for the MC162 especially since it has balanced inputs. Its only 160wpc at 4ohms and I was looking for something with more power in case I jump up to the Magnepan 3.6's. But I'm sure ( ? ) the Mac's have plenty in reserve and dynamic headroom. I want to use it for 2 ch only and continue using the Adcom for HT use since I could care less about HT sound as long as I have something that works.
    With the balanced inputs I can really take advantage of the Cambridge 840c and its better sound through its XLR out's. I'll just have to find a decent pre amp with XLR inputs as my Adcom does not have them.
  • 01-10-2008, 04:05 PM
    bobsticks
    Strongly consider buying the 2100 and bi-amping...I do and firmly hold that it's part of the magic.
  • 01-10-2008, 09:07 PM
    blackraven
    I was checking out the manual of the mc162 and the spec sheet shows its rated at only 25 amps peak to peak and has only 1.6dB of headroom. Seems a little anemic to me for mangepans but I'm sure it sounds nice. Any advice on whether I should buy it?
  • 01-10-2008, 09:10 PM
    bobsticks
    Advice? Yes sir, see post #4...
  • 01-11-2008, 10:00 AM
    basite
    WAIT A SECOND!!!

since when is the 2100 a 6 channel amp? it's stereo, it looks like a SS MC275...

either of them are exellent amps, but the vintage Mcintosh sound (their early SS, like the 2100) may seem a bit dark, the 162 is newer (looks better too, IMHO)...
    both amps wouldn't have any problem at all driving your speakers.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
  • 01-11-2008, 10:36 AM
    blackraven
    Your right about the 2100, I meant to say 7106 mcintosh. I've looked at several and includind the 2100 but narrowed it down to the 162 and 7106.
  • 01-12-2008, 02:47 AM
    bobsticks
    LOL. Okay, we'll try again, buy multi-channel amp, bi-amp big Maggies, live happy :)
  • 01-12-2008, 02:52 AM
    basite
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bobsticks
    LOL. Okay, we'll try again, buy multi-channel amp, bi-amp big Maggies, live happy :)

well said :)

seconded.:cornut: