mcintosh advice

Printable View

• 09-04-2010, 09:19 AM
    paddler
    mcintosh advice
    have an opportunity to buy a C26 pre-amp, 2105 power amp, mc77 tuner

new to higher end stuff, looking for advice. will be using Klipsch Forte speakers

currently happy with a 80's Denon 55W receiver, but considering an upgrade
  • 09-04-2010, 09:20 AM
    poppachubby
    What advice were you hoping to find?
  • 09-04-2010, 09:23 AM
    paddler
    would this be a huge improvement in sound, maybe a ballpark they're worth about ___.
    pro's/cons of these components?
    would these be a good match for the speakers?
    what to look for on inspection?
  • 09-04-2010, 10:27 AM
    poppachubby
    Those Mac units are both solid state. That said, Mac SS gear has a penchant for warmth, leaning on their tube heritage. I don't know anything about the tuner. I would say $1000 for both the pre and amp would be a decent price. If they have been serviced/upgraded, and are in excellent condition, you may end up paying more like $1300/1400.

Mac gear has a cult like following, which drives the prices well up.

If these units haven't had any servicing, you will want to have them looked over by a proper tech. The caps, electrolitics, resistors, etc will be tired and in need of replacment. This will bring these pieces back to life sonically and then they'll be good for another 30 years.

I can almost certainly say that compared to an 80's Denon, this will be an upgrade. There will be better specs in the Mac stuff, and this will make for audible improvement.

The Forte's should match nicely with this stuff.

Bottom line is you must go and have a listen to decide if you will like it or not. Take your Fortes over there and take an hour or two to listen.
  • 09-04-2010, 10:28 AM
    basite
    vintage mac and klipsch is a great match. the improvement you'll hear will be noticable at least, and very much worth it, depending on the price of the units, you'll be having a big upgrade both in quality as in sound.
  • 09-04-2010, 10:56 AM
    paddler
    thanks. seller said he didnt have speakers to test. hate the thought of loading up mine to go test but needs to be done
    i'm questioning the wisdom of this to play my $2 records from flea markets :idea:

next question, assuming these could be bought in the 1000-1200 range would there be a better match for the Forte's (they're not going anywhere). tube amp?
  • 09-04-2010, 11:43 AM
    basite
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paddler
    thanks. seller said he didnt have speakers to test. hate the thought of loading up mine to go test but needs to be done
    i'm questioning the wisdom of this to play my $2 records from flea markets :idea:

next question, assuming these could be bought in the 1000-1200 range would there be a better match for the Forte's (they're not going anywhere). tube amp?

a mac 275? that's the best sounding possibility you could go for... but I think the Mac's you're looking at will be giving you better sound than a tube amp in the 1000 - 1200 range, but that's just my opinion...
  • 09-04-2010, 01:25 PM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

Your question would be better answered at the Klipsch forum. I'm sure a general search will produce some results without having to post.

I say go to your audition and see what happens. Perhaps something undeniable will occur...
  • 09-04-2010, 06:17 PM
    Mr Peabody
    As Basite mentioned Klipsch and Mac go great together as the Mac leans toward the warm side of sound. I think you will be very impressed by the sound improvement you hear over the Denon. Denon makes some nice receivers it's just the Mac will step things up quite a bit for you. If the Mac preamp includes a built in phono stage it will be like hearing those LP's for the first time again.

I've got a pair of Fortes. The horns seem to be much smoother than most other models. I also have some Heresy III's. I wish I had room for some Cornwall. I'm letting my mom borrow my Fortes currently and she has a NAD L54 receiver. It also sounds good with the Fortes. If the Mac don't work out you might give some NAD a listen, the smaller integrated amps are resonably price and present a good value.
  • 09-05-2010, 10:47 AM
    E-Stat
    Quote:

have an opportunity to buy a C26 pre-amp, 2105 power amp, mc77 tuner...

If what you seek is a sonic upgrade, I would look elsewhere. Those are designs from 1967 which are considerably outperformed by even modest gear today. You can find more info about them on Roger Russell's website.

rw
  • 09-05-2010, 03:23 PM
    frenchmon
    The C26 seems to be a pretty good preamp, but the 2105 power amp seems to have issues according to many reviews. If I where you, I would maybe go for the pre and then look for another amp.

A mint condition C26 can be had over at Audio Classics for $749 tops.http://www.audioclassics.com/detail....il=C26&nav=cat