Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2

    McIntosh 2105 need preamp help

    I am a new member and would welcome some input. Since I was a kid was facinated with McIntosh equipment. I had the opportunity to and purchased a McIntosh 2105 power ampifier in prisitine condition from the original owner and couldn't resist. Now I need a compatible preamp/tuner and am looking for suggestion. Please help!!

  2. #2
    I took a headstart... basite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mortsel, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Earth
    Posts
    3,056
    Hi, Welcome to AudioReview! I hope you'll like it here...

    ooh,

    nice amp, congrats

    the best match to a Mcintosh amp, would be, well, a Mcintosh preamp...

    there are several nice ones on Audiogon, Sound wise, the new models are better than the old (70's, early 80's were less good than the 60's products and the late 80's and 90's products). So aim for something from the mid/early 90's.
    I have a MA6400 integrated from 1997, no problems whatsoever (of course, it's a Mcintosh), and it sounds exellent.

    here is a site with lots of info on the Mcintosh products...

    Other than Mcintosh pre's, also check out Accuphase...

    Happy hunting!!

    Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

    Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

    I'm a happy 20 year old...

  3. #3
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127

    What basite said, and ...

    Quote Originally Posted by ajeffreyg
    I am a new member and would welcome some input. Since I was a kid was facinated with McIntosh equipment. I had the opportunity to and purchased a McIntosh 2105 power ampifier in prisitine condition from the original owner and couldn't resist. Now I need a compatible preamp/tuner and am looking for suggestion. Please help!!
    Congradulations on your great score. I love the look and feel of the Macs, both vintage and current.

    A great complement to your 2105 would be a C26 preamp from the same era; see the a picture below. I've see decent C26's go for under $500 on eBay. A C28 would be nice too but a little more expensive, maybe $650.

    Per basite's remarks, if you want a newer Mac preamp, you probably need to go post-1990; say a C40 or newer still. The cost will be in the range of $900-1000 however for a C40.

    A great McIntosh reference is here ...
    http://www.berners.ch/McIntosh/en/Frame_McIntosh.htm
    ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails McIntosh 2105 need preamp help-mcintosh_c26-1.jpg  

  4. #4
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2

    Tuner/preamp option for Mac 2105

    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Congradulations on your great score. I love the look and feel of the Macs, both vintage and current.

    A great complement to your 2105 would be a C26 preamp from the same era; see the a picture below. I've see decent C26's go for under $500 on eBay. A C28 would be nice too but a little more expensive, maybe $650.

    Per basite's remarks, if you want a newer Mac preamp, you probably need to go post-1990; say a C40 or newer still. The cost will be in the range of $900-1000 however for a C40.

    A great McIntosh reference is here ...
    http://www.berners.ch/McIntosh/en/Frame_McIntosh.htm
    ...
    I was also thinking of a possible Tuner/Preamp combo which would be appropriate with the Mac 2105. Also what is the difference between the preamps ie is it features, reduced distortion or ??

  5. #5
    I took a headstart... basite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mortsel, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Earth
    Posts
    3,056
    Quote Originally Posted by ajeffreyg
    Also what is the difference between the preamps ie is it features, reduced distortion or ??

    a bit of everything...

    features, but especially quality. Build quality has always been one of Mcintosh's strong points, so don't expect it to be built much better (they all are from a world class quality), but expect a better performance...

    the C40 Feanor recommended looks like a really good pre, if you want to go vintage though, the C28 is a good pre, and also check the C33...

    keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

    Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

    I'm a happy 20 year old...

  6. #6
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127

    Tube preamp for Mac

    Quote Originally Posted by ajeffreyg
    I was also thinking of a possible Tuner/Preamp combo which would be appropriate with the Mac 2105. Also what is the difference between the preamps ie is it features, reduced distortion or ??
    Just a couple of observations. In general, the main benefit of tube amplifications is a smoothing of the sound; I doubt that the MC2105 really needs that effect.

    Regarding McIntosh tube preamps, the company has made, and once again today makes, some great ones. The vintage ones are from before the 2105 era. One is the famous C22. But here's the rub ... vintage Mac tube equipment is ridiculously expensive, e.g. C22's run $3000. (Unless you're a collector, buy a current-model, used C220 instead of a C22 -- same price but with a lot more features and probably better sound.)

  7. #7
    I took a headstart... basite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mortsel, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Earth
    Posts
    3,056
    a tuner preamp?

    like the MX 113 from Mcintosh? It's an option, but Sound quality wise, you might be better of with a seperate preamp and tuner...

    keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

    Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

    I'm a happy 20 year old...

  8. #8
    Shostakovich fan Feanor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    8,127

    Great idea

    Quote Originally Posted by basite
    a tuner preamp?

    like the MX 113 from Mcintosh? It's an option, but Sound quality wise, you might be better of with a seperate preamp and tuner...

    keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Bert, that's very good advice. A Mac tuner-preamp such as the MX113, 114, or 117 is much less expensive than a combo of preamp and tuner separates. By the way, vintage Mac tuners, (including the solid state ones), are well regarded, more so than their s/s preamps in fact.

  9. #9
    I took a headstart... basite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mortsel, Antwerp, Belgium, Europe, Earth
    Posts
    3,056
    there is a Mcintosh MX-113 on audiogon right now for $540...

    Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

    Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

    I'm a happy 20 year old...

  10. #10
    Charm Thai™
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    865
    Not sure what your budget is but I picked up a McIntosh C220 tube preamp a couple weeks ago and I love it. Has all the features i was looking for and sounds fantastic, i highly recommend.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •