Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2

    Matching Amp and Speaker Power Ratings

    Hi,

    I'm trying to buy a speaker and amp set up for small parties and events I hope to throw. The equipment I have my eyes on is:

    JBL Eon1500 Speakers (two of these)
    Gemini X3 Power Amp

    I am concerned about compatibilty on these. I am not very familiar with the way watt and ohm ratings go.

    The JBL Eon1500 speakers are supposed to be as follows:

    55 Hz to 16 kHz frequency response.
    98 dB sensitivity (1 watt @ 1 meter)
    8 ohms impedance
    225 watts continuous pink noise power handling, 900 watts peak.

    http://www.zzounds.com/item--JBLEON1500

    The Gemini X3 power amp is:

    Output Power EIA: 1kHz @ 1% THD, Wrms
    Both Channels Driven: @ 8 Ohms = 200 Watts, @ 4 Ohms = 300 Watts
    Mono Bridge: @ 8 Ohms = 600 Watts
    Dynamic Headroom: @ 8 Ohms = 1.6 dB, @ 4 Ohms = 2.2 dB
    Frequency Response: 30 Hz 50 kHz
    Total Harmonic Distortion: Less Than 0.05%, Typical 0.02% @ 1 kHz
    Signal to Noise Ratio: 100 dB Below Rated Power @ 8 Ohms
    Damping Factor: Greater Than 200 @ 8 Ohms
    Slew Rate: 20 V/S

    http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=99297

    The links contain more information if needed.

    Is this setup compatible. Can I connect these two speakers to that amp and get good results? I'm hoping to plug this into a mixer connected to 2 CD turntables.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4
    The setup does look compatible from a technical standpoint. The speakers are rated at 225 Watts continuous @ 8 ohms and the ampolifier is rated at 200 Watts @ 8 Ohms. This means that the amp probably will not blow out the speaker because it is too powerful, but yet is strong enough to drive the speakers and should provide a good sound.

    What you need to do is find a local dealer and listen to the combination to hear how they sound together. You might find that you hate it or you might just fall in love. There is no substitute for listening to equipment prior to purchasing.

    Just my $.02

  3. #3
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    89
    party speaker that go down to only 55hz....dont know how the music with sound with little bass

    manek.

  4. #4
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by manek
    party speaker that go down to only 55hz....dont know how the music with sound with little bass

    manek.
    Would you recommend I add a subwoofer? Can I simply attach this to the amp?

  5. #5
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    235
    Quote Originally Posted by crsarg
    Would you recommend I add a subwoofer? Can I simply attach this to the amp?
    55 Hz is the lowest "A" on a piano. That's pretty low. Now saying that, it's hard to tell from a spec sheet if you'll like the sound. I second the opinion that you should go out and listen to this setup before you buy if you've got the opportunity. If you're looking for a system that gives you a good thumping bass line, this rig is not it. At the very least you'll need to add a subwoofer.

  6. #6
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3

    HELP ME PLEASE - pioneer volume ?

    please can you help, i have just brought a vsxd912 reciever and hooked my tannoy fx 5.1 sat speakers up. although up and running seem sure that it is not set up proper as the sound needs to be turned up quite alot to get a decent volume. and not sure that this is a good idea with my small speakers. what is the average volume setup on the reciever as it starts at --- the counts back from -99 which seems odd does it stop at -1 or carry on with + 1, 2 3 etc. sorry if this is a silly question but can't find info on booklet and don't want to test out incase i blow amp or speakers, i have already turned up volume and on my last amp was really loud 1/3 of way up.

    thanks and look forward to reply

  7. #7
    RGA
    RGA is offline
    Forum Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,539
    Quote Originally Posted by crsarg
    Hi,

    I'm trying to buy a speaker and amp set up for small parties and events I hope to throw. The equipment I have my eyes on is:

    JBL Eon1500 Speakers (two of these)
    Gemini X3 Power Amp

    I am concerned about compatibilty on these. I am not very familiar with the way watt and ohm ratings go.

    The JBL Eon1500 speakers are supposed to be as follows:

    55 Hz to 16 kHz frequency response.
    98 dB sensitivity (1 watt @ 1 meter)
    8 ohms impedance
    225 watts continuous pink noise power handling, 900 watts peak.

    http://www.zzounds.com/item--JBLEON1500

    The Gemini X3 power amp is:

    Output Power EIA: 1kHz @ 1% THD, Wrms
    Both Channels Driven: @ 8 Ohms = 200 Watts, @ 4 Ohms = 300 Watts
    Mono Bridge: @ 8 Ohms = 600 Watts
    Dynamic Headroom: @ 8 Ohms = 1.6 dB, @ 4 Ohms = 2.2 dB
    Frequency Response: 30 Hz 50 kHz
    Total Harmonic Distortion: Less Than 0.05%, Typical 0.02% @ 1 kHz
    Signal to Noise Ratio: 100 dB Below Rated Power @ 8 Ohms
    Damping Factor: Greater Than 200 @ 8 Ohms
    Slew Rate: 20 V/S

    http://www.music123.com/Item/?itemno=99297

    The links contain more information if needed.

    Is this setup compatible. Can I connect these two speakers to that amp and get good results? I'm hoping to plug this into a mixer connected to 2 CD turntables.

    Thanks!

    This is probably a good set-up - the idea you have is parties in a fairly large room no? You are basically buying a club-like speaker or PA speaker. The amplifier is more than enough power as the speaker will play VERY LOUD. The frequency response does not tell us much though without a +/- rating it actually tells us nothing. For a larger room yu want a fair amount of bass. ~50hz is pretty solid. BUT, this sounds to me more like a speaker focussed on vocals alla P.A. speaker as the highs don't go too high either.

    Rather than adding a sub is their a bigger JBL you can afford? Is this for your home and listening to all sorts of music as well...if so I would look elsewhere.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •