AR Newbie Registered Member

Unhappy Marantz With JBL ::: I'm Totalled :cryin: :cryin: :cryin: :cryin:

Helpppp Pleease.

I bought a Marantz SR 5001 reciever, along with it i attached JBL Northridge E90 speakers in stereo mode(2.0). Following has happened twice now, under regular use:
    1. while playing just another song at -1 db, first the top tweeter of both the speakers stop responding. i.e dull blunt music.
    2. a couple of days later the mid tone speaker goes duff, now the sound quality becomes really muffled.
    3. i still play the system the overall loudness reduces at the same volume levels.
    4. now the left speaker gives up almost completely , responding just about 15% of right speaker.

my 2.4 lakhs Indian rupees going down the drain.

Has happened twice in a row, got it repaired once, now again.

Please tell me whats the issue here,
    for the power source i'm using a power conditioner plus a voltage stablizer and my power never fluctuates. all the music is being played thru HDMI cable from my pioneer sacd player. in between i had a stereo cable running from my pc to av input in the reciever.

HELP HELP HELP HELP HELP

Have the receiver checked.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Audio/HT Nut version 1.3a
    Quote Originally Posted by saurabhpach
    while playing just another song at -1 db
    This is mostly an uncalibrated reference. It does not tell us how much power is being delivered to the JBL's. If you had a sound level meter that might give us an idea as to how loud you are driving the JBL's.

Can't you estimate how loudly you were driving the spekers, loud, very loud or extremely loud? Did you have any tone control or EQ boosts to the frequency response on the receiver or you were playing it flat?

Looks like you were either overdriving the speakers with more power than they could handle or you were overdriving the receiver into distortion which in turn caused the drivers in the JBL's to fail. Which one happened is a good question.

Were you hearing an audible distortion before the failure? I wouldn't test your luck again. A more efficient speaker with better power handling might be better or a stronger amp. Without more info an educated guess is difficult. (without knowing more I would tend to blame the speaker ... small tweeter not able to handle the high power level you were driving them with).

RR6

Thread Information