Forum Regular

Dynaudio Audience 62

Hi,
    Just wanted to know whether a NAD 372 would make a better amp or a Denon PMA700 or a Marantz for a pair of Dynaudio Audience 62, The NAD is the choice of many Dyn owners, however i heard the C372's had some problems??

Suspended
    The 62's although not terribly hard to drive do like some current. If not that model of NAD maybe another. My guess, depending also on other components in your system, that the Denon may be too bright. If not the NAD my second choice of what you mentioned would be the Marantz.

Take a look at these B&K. The McCormack at $1,100.00 would really be nice if you could swing it. The B&K Reference is going for about the price of a 272 new. They also have a 272 at $399.00 refurbed. Another good choice would be a used Adcom 5500 if you could find one.

http://www.spearitsound.com/specials.htm

Let us know what you decided to go with.

Forum Regular
    Hey thanks for the reply, however the marantz model is the Marantz PM7001 and also ive got a used Arcam FMJ A28 in mind, the prob is only these 4 which Ive mentioned come within my budget, I live in the Emirates so most of the brands you've mentioned are hardly heard of out here besides even if they wud be it wudn't be in my budget.

Thanks

Forum Regular
    my CD player is a denon though

Suspended
    Hey, that Arcam will do the job, should be a nice combo. There are more and more reasonably priced digital to analog converters coming to market, maybe your next purchase can be one to use at the output of the Denon. Or, watch for a good deal on an Arcam player, they are excellent.

Forum Regular
    i heard that Dyns require a High current amp, but this arcam im talking about is not a high current one, however the NAD c372 and c355BEE are HC, do you think it matters? c372 have heating probs thats why i opted out for that.

Suspended
    Arcam is high current. More so probably than NAD. They may not boast about it but they are. I've seen some of their older Alpha series drive crazy speaker loads and they haven't changed from that. More importantly our Dynaudio dealer carries Arcam and mate them with Audience or now Excite and Focus without any problems at all. So I know that combo will work, heard it many times so if it's the Arcam you want go for it.

My take on it is that the Arcam/Dyn will be faster, slightly leaner, more detail where the NAD will have more of a warmer not as aggressive sound. NAD will give more thickness or weight to instruments. Keep in mind power amps need a lot of ventilation. Usually when people have a heat problem it's because they stack equipment or shove a high performance amp into a cramped shelf on a stereo rack.

Forum Regular
    Thanks a ton dude, Picked up the arcam FMJA22 and also was listening to some good music, very good combo, thanks for your advice, My main choice of music is Modern Jazz, specially instruentals however I also tried on some vocals like Whitney Houston and found that it was extremely sharp and thought the reason could be my Denon CD player, I guess i have to look out for an Arcam CD player for better reproduction. Any other makes you have in mind which would not be that expensive?

Suspended
    No, get the Arcam CD player. Arcam makes excellent CD players and they have very good synergy with their amps. If on a budget check Audiogon.com for a good deal on a used one. Although it has some age the Alpha 9 is still a very good player and will play HDCD but won't match the amp cosmetically. A FMJ will probably cost you some though. I never compared them side by side but I believe the Alpha 9 will still out perform the entry level Diva.

It's been my experience that Denon players do run a bit bright.

Another way you might go is just to add a DAC to the Denon. That's what I did in my second system. I still think the Arcam players would beat any of the budget DAC's though.

Where do you live and what would your budget be?

Emirates

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    Where do you live and what would your budget be?
    Read post no. 3
    That's where Dubai is.

Suspended
    Ah, I guess sometimes a bit of backtracking can be valuable.

Forum Regular
    Thanks a ton, will be on the look out,
    Yup, i live in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

Thread Information