Anyone here own a Sonic Impact T-Amp?

Yes?

No?

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3-LockBox
    Yes?

No?
    Yes. See my post over on the General board - "audiophile heresy: my $105 system..."

Haven't spent much time with it so far, maybe a couple of hours, but I'm not disappointed.

I don't. But I'm seriously considering buying their Super T-amp tonight. I thought about buying their regular T-amp a year ago because of the price, buzz and tinker factor. Then half a year or so ago I was blown away by the clarity and speed of a system that had Paradigm Signature S8s powered by two Audio Research 300.2 solid state monoblocks. The Audio Research amps were, without a doubt, the best non-tube amps I've ever heard. Not until the other night did I learn the cheesy T-amp and the amazing 300.2s both use Tripath Class-T amplifier chips inside. I also learned that SI had released the Super T with such niceties as a real case and real connectors.

I'm surpised there's not more discussion of the T-amp around here. Are you and Dean still enjoying yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Lensman
    I'm surpised there's not more discussion of the T-amp around here. Are you and Dean still enjoying yours?
    Yes sir. I'm having fun with it. I stocked up on energizer titaniums with my BestBuy reward zone coupons so I'm ready for anything. I got it mainly for the battery operation. I'm not much of a tinkerer. I'm lookin' for a good radio w/lineout and battery operation - something along the lines of the Tivoli Model One table radio - to use as a tuner w/the T-amp.

how are things in B'ham? haven't seen you on the boards that much lately.

i got a T-Amp about a year ago and use it with a pair of ADS L-810's in a bedroom system. i also run an AR TDS202 sound enhancer in this setup. the results are very good. so good that when i happened on a pair of ADS L-710's, i ordered the Super T-Amp and run a dual T-Amp, ADS L-710\L-810 stack.

the sound is colored, especially with the TDS202 unit in the mix, but the results maybe the most euphonically pleasing system i have ever heard.

i would highly recommend the T-Amp.

the AR TDS202 is another story. in every other setup i used it, it sounded like crap. somehow with the ADS' it's the missing piece in the puzzle that makes for a magical sounding system.
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_martin
    Yes sir. I'm having fun with it. I stocked up on energizer titaniums with my BestBuy reward zone coupons so I'm ready for anything. I got it mainly for the battery operation. I'm not much of a tinkerer. I'm lookin' for a good radio w/lineout and battery operation - something along the lines of the Tivoli Model One table radio - to use as a tuner w/the T-amp.
    Great to hear. I'm looking at the Super T for a variety of reasons. Not the least of which is that I just don't have the time to spend modding anything and may not for some time. I also like the fact that it has a decent 3A power supply included and also comes with a cable to connect a 12V battery.

Concerning the radio, the Tivoli's a good choice. If you don't mind a cryptic-as-hell interface, you could also take a look at a Kaito KA1103. It's a Japanese worldband radio that has superior reception and sensitivity. It runs on NiMh rechargeble AA batteries that the AC adapter recharges, has a line out, and sells for around $90.

how are things in B'ham? haven't seen you on the boards that much lately.
    I've hardly hit the board over the past year due to my 5 yr. old son needing significant medical care - something that diminished funds, time and passion for the hobby. But I'm cautiously optimistic I can begin a journey back to the halcyon days of obsessing over such things as speaker placement. How've you been? Starting to look like a boom town down there.

Quote Originally Posted by dingus
    i got a T-Amp about a year ago and use it with a pair of ADS L-810's in a bedroom system. i also run an AR TDS202 sound enhancer in this setup. the results are very good. so good that when i happened on a pair of ADS L-710's, i ordered the Super T-Amp and run a dual T-Amp, ADS L-710\L-810 stack.

the sound is colored, especially with the TDS202 unit in the mix, but the results maybe the most euphonically pleasing system i have ever heard.

i would highly recommend the T-Amp.

the AR TDS202 is another story. in every other setup i used it, it sounded like crap. somehow with the ADS' it's the missing piece in the puzzle that makes for a magical sounding system.
    That's a very interesting combination. I'd never have considered the sound enhancer as an option. And I've always taken the L-810's rated efficiency of 93 db with a grain of salt. Obviously these preconceptions bear reevaluation. So how do you find the Super T compares to the T-Amp?

Speaking of add-on hardware, this preamp looks interesting:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/t-preamp_e.html

That's a very interesting combination. I'd never have considered the sound enhancer as an option. And I've always taken the L-810's rated efficiency of 93 db with a grain of salt. Obviously these preconceptions bear reevaluation. So how do you find the Super T compares to the T-Amp?
    i was suprised they work together as well as they do. being in a small room does a lot towards compensating for the T-Amp's low wpc. those limitations are readily evident in a bigger room.

right out of the box, the Super-T has a good deal more oomph, which (being in a small room again) gives the L-810's too much in the low end. i can compensate with equalization, but i find that the Super-T matches well with the L-710's in this configuration. it was because of that, i decided to try them all together.

aside from that, i havent done any critical comparison's between the T and the Super T. the Super T is still fairly new and i doubt it has 100 hours on it yet. i'll give it while longer before it do a head to head.
    AR MGC-1, AR C225 PS, M&K V-1B, Pioneer VSX 47TX, Oppo BDP-83, Squeezebox v3, Vortexbox Appliance.

Great to hear. I'm looking at the Super T for a variety of reasons. Not the least of which is that I just don't have the time to spend modding anything and may not for some time. I also like the fact that it has a decent 3A power supply included and also comes with a cable to connect a 12V battery.

Concerning the radio, the Tivoli's a good choice. If you don't mind a cryptic-as-hell interface, you could also take a look at a Kaito KA1103. It's a Japanese worldband radio that has superior reception and sensitivity. It runs on NiMh rechargeble AA batteries that the AC adapter recharges, has a line out, and sells for around $90.

I've hardly hit the board over the past year due to my 5 yr. old son needing significant medical care - something that diminished funds, time and passion for the hobby. But I'm cautiously optimistic I can begin a journey back to the halcyon days of obsessing over such things as speaker placement. How've you been? Starting to look like a boom town down there.
    Thanks for the radio recommendation. Short wave would be a great feature. I've looked at short waves casually and found a couple of websites dedicated to sw radio. That might be the way to go. Plus, I have a paranoid, the-end-is-near friend who's always recording sw programs for me.

Sorry to hear about your son. I understand quality medical care can be found in B'ham for certain conditions. I'll keep you guys in my thoughts. Hope to see you around here more often.

... being in a small room does a lot towards compensating for the T-Amp's low wpc. those limitations are readily evident in a bigger room.

right out of the box, the Super-T has a good deal more oomph...

aside from that, i havent done any critical comparison's between the T and the Super T. the Super T is still fairly new and i doubt it has 100 hours on it yet. i'll give it while longer before it do a head to head.
    The low watts is my biggest concern, but it's good to hear confirmation that it's beefier. You'll have to let us know how they compare after you get them broken in!

Thanks for the radio recommendation. Short wave would be a great feature. I've looked at short waves casually and found a couple of websites dedicated to sw radio. That might be the way to go. Plus, I have a paranoid, the-end-is-near friend who's always recording sw programs for me.

Sorry to hear about your son. I understand quality medical care can be found in B'ham for certain conditions. I'll keep you guys in my thoughts. Hope to see you around here more often.
    You're welcome on the radio and thanks for the kind words about my son. Birmingham is definitely the right place for us to be right now. There's some interesting things on the SW bands. It's also fun to AM DX sometimes. So what decent FM stations are in your neighborhood?

You're welcome on the radio and thanks for the kind words about my son. Birmingham is definitely the right place for us to be right now. There's some interesting things on the SW bands. It's also fun to AM DX sometimes. So what decent FM stations are in your neighborhood?
    WHIL 91.3 is the Springhill College radio station in Mobile. It combines NPR programming with some decent locally produced shows like Radio Avalon weeknights and Liquid Aire on Sunday nights. The best thing about it is they don't use any compression like the top 40 Clear Channel stations do. It sounds great through my Yamaha T-1 tuner. I had a roof top antenna at my old house. We moved just outside the city liimits of our small town a little farther away from the transmitter which is now about 50 mi. away instead of 45. I'm thinking about getting an antenna for the attic so I can get back to listening to this station regularly.

Another station with similar programming is 88.1 out of Pensacola. They have The World Cafe on weeknights.

I use to listen to WZEW 92.1 out of Mobile quite a bit but not so much anymore.

When I was using the roof top antenna I was able to get a couple of decent stations on The Mississippi coast. Radio Shack has an FM antenna for outdoor or attic use for $25. That's one of my projects for the near future.

I either go to or go through B'ham a couple of times a year. What stations do you tune in?

The low watts is my biggest concern, but it's good to hear confirmation that it's beefier. You'll have to let us know how they compare after you get them broken in!
    i dont have any high efficiency speakers but, i'll definately report back when i do a more critical head-to-head between the T and Super T on the L-810's.

in the middle of Oct. i'll be visiting a friend who has Altec Valencia's. i'll be taking at least one of the T-Amps (probably the Super T) along. wont be any problem getting adequate volume levels on the Altec's. he runs McIntosh amps so it will be fun to see how well the T-Amp does in comparison.

I either go to or go through B'ham a couple of times a year. What stations do you tune in?
    Like you, it's pretty much NPR for me on the FM band. All the rest is Clear Channel crap. I'd kill for a good college alternative station like Georgia State's 88.5 WRAS, though I'm lucky to have some good jazz. My favorite is the evening jazz lineup on 91.5 WUAL (they play classical music in the day) out of Tuscaloosa. Alisa Beckwith plays some really great and diverse selections. Samford University has an smooth jazz station (91.1 WVSU), that's too pop for me. But it's 24 hour, so it does in a pinch. However, the station is fairly low powered so it doesn't have a lot of range. For classical, it's the home station, 90.3 WBHM. They also carry Echoes, Music from the Hearts of Space, and Thistle and Shamrock. But I was saddened to learn yesterday they'll be dropping T&S. Admittedly her voice isn't everything it once was, but I'm totally in love with the way Fiona Ritchie sounds. I've taken great pains not to know what she looks like because I know could only be dissappointed.

i dont have any high efficiency speakers but, i'll definately report back when i do a more critical head-to-head between the T and Super T on the L-810's.

in the middle of Oct. i'll be visiting a friend who has Altec Valencia's. i'll be taking at least one of the T-Amps (probably the Super T) along. wont be any problem getting adequate volume levels on the Altec's. he runs McIntosh amps so it will be fun to see how well the T-Amp does in comparison.
    I definitely look forward to seeing your results and I'll post mine. The Super T I ordered got to town yesterday. But it arrived too late to get sent to my house in time for the weekend.

Oh well. Guess I'll have time to get the speaker wire put together. Going to take some quad 16AWG CL3 and make paired 10AWG cable with GL Audio locking banana plugs.

Thread Information