Thread: Marantz 2220

Vinyl Fundamentalist Forums Moderator poppachubby's Avatar

Marantz 2220

Hey guys, again I would like some input here. A guy here locally is selling a mint unit w/ original manual and all. A mate of mine had one of these and they sound great. He's asking 150.00 CDN. Is this a fair price?? TIN, Chubbs

Chicago IL
    150.00 CDN is $130 US money so i think it is too much! You can get a better offer on ebay. The good thing is he has the manual on all stuff for it but it is still too much! If you really like it go for it but I wouldn't pay that much! Good luck, it is a very good receiver!

I put the Gee in Gear.... thekid's Avatar
    I agree with Dak that the price for that model seem a bit high. $75 is probably the range for that and I would not go near the price you have been quoted unless it has recently has been upgraded.

Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thekid
    I agree with Dak that the price for that model seem a bit high. $75 is probably the range for that and I would not go near the price you have been quoted unless it has recently has been upgraded.

You're the man!! A fellow "get as much as I can for dirt cheap" sort of guy. I'll need to read your posts, I'm sure I can learn a lot. Where do you buy your stuff from? CL? Salvation army? Storage unit auctions?

Best Regards,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

Chicago IL
    Well sometimes you can get some great deals on craigslist and from Goodwill! It doesn't matter where you are getting them from, as long as it is a good deal and on cheap price! I have gotten a pair of Scott speakers like new for $6 and i sold them for $175.

I am sure you can find the Marantz 2220 for a lot less than $130 and in great condition.

Thanks for the input guys. It seems quite unanimous. I will bounce $75.00 off him and see what he thinks. The pics look great, he is obviously a meticulous man. All the bulbs are still glowing strong which for me, usually says alot about the owner.

I say it depends on whether you're looking for a nice receiver or a good deal. Sometimes you gotta just get what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by 02audionoob
    I say it depends on whether you're looking for a nice receiver or a good deal. Sometimes you gotta just get what you want.

Well put Noob. It's not like Marantz are making any more of these anytime soon. I emailed him this morning after reading this thread and offered him $80 CDN. I had him down to $125 previous to this. He wrote me back and told me its being seriously considered. He's had it posted for some time and only had a bunch of no-shows for auditions. He sounds frustrated. I will let you guys know how it goes...heres the link...

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-se...AdIdZ150237961

Chicago IL
    Ok let us know what happened if the deal went trough

Oh man, does anyone know anything about Optonica? I have to say that I've never heard any Optonica amplification. I know it's a good brand, that's about it. I'm still waiting for a decision on the Marantz. Assuming he decides to accept my offer, I have a decision to make. I have been offered an Optonica SA 5101 for 60 CDN. I haven't auditioned it yet, I am wondering what any of you guys know about this unit. BTW, thanks guys, you're making this process a hell of alot easier...

BTW, you all DEFINITELY get a head bang!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have never heard an Optonica but a quick search seems to indicate it is a sleeper piece of gera with a small but loyal following. I would still tend to go with the Marantz if you can get to the right price point. I say that in part because of my experience with my 2245 and because if something goes wrong I think it would be easier to get the Marantz fixed compared to the Optonica.

Good luck!

Chicago IL
    I found here the history of this company! I hope it helps.

The Optonica brand was created and first launched by Sharp in 1976 as a separate high-end brand to imitate quality with Technics (Panasonic), Fisher (Sanyo), Nakamichi, Sansui, and Sony. It released a second line of high-end devices in 1979, and a final line with already declining quality in 1980. The last product released under the Optonica brand name was the DAT recorder, RX-100. The Optonica brand was used once again in 1988 for higher-end CRT TVs and VHS VCRs until 1991 when it was phased out completely.

Quote Originally Posted by dakatabg
    I found here the history of this company! I hope it helps.

The Optonica brand was created and first launched by Sharp in 1976 as a separate high-end brand to imitate quality with Technics (Panasonic), Fisher (Sanyo), Nakamichi, Sansui, and Sony. It released a second line of high-end devices in 1979, and a final line with already declining quality in 1980. The last product released under the Optonica brand name was the DAT recorder, RX-100. The Optonica brand was used once again in 1988 for higher-end CRT TVs and VHS VCRs until 1991 when it was phased out completely.
    Great stuff dak!! Thanks for taking the time to help. Looks like it was a real flash in the pan. I definitely won't be buying it without an audition. The seller was telling me that vs. a Marantz of the same vintage, they are the same, except the Optonica throws more RMS. The 2220 is 65 per and the Optonica is around 100. I've heard the 2220 and let me tell you, its the loudest 65 watts I've ever heard. But besides that, I don't want sheer power and volume. I have small kids and actually need quality in the low volume range. This can be a problem as I'm sure you know. My HK A-401 does a wonderful job at this, warmth and detail with very little output. I keep hearing that Marantz is the same...

Here is a link for a HK A-401 on E-Bay, it looks mint, I highly reccomend this little known amp, no one has bid yet and I never talk to anyone who knows about this unit, might get it for a song... http://cgi.ebay.ca/Harman-Kardon-A-4...3286.m20.l1116

As I said before I think it would be the right choice to go with the Marantz. Just to correct a little info though on the Marantz 2220. It is not 65 wpc as stated above but only 20 wpc, the last two numbers in the 22XX series represents the wpc. Of course as you I think have found out that is very strong wpc even at 20 wpc. You have to remember when dealing with vintage gear that while their wpc ratings are often lower than what you see stated in most of today's receivers they deliver more consistent power through out the entire cycle whereas today's 100 wpc gear may hit 100 wpc for only a brief time during the cycle and do not deliver power on as consistent basis as alot of the vintage gear. Understand this tends to be true of today's lower and mid-level gear. When you start talking about the upper end gear they tend to deliver their stated power but like the older gear you tend to see lower wpc even at that level because they are delivering power on a consistent basis. For the most part wpc is an overstated/abused measurement of how good a receiver or amp performs. With an efficient pair of speakers and reasonable volume levels you can get by on some extemely low wpc levels. My SX-850 is rated at 65 wpc, which was pretty good at the time, it is driving my KLH 5's and 33's and I don't have the volume control much beyond minimum. Even at that low level it fills the room with more than enough sound.
    Last edited by thekid; 09-12-2009 at 03:08 AM.

Thanks kid, it appears I've made an error. I have been looking and researching so many different units that I'm starting to lose track. I was sure that it was rated at a conservative 65...my bad. Also, I didn't know about the last 2 digits in the model number, great tip...

Well he e-mailed me this morning and agreed to my off of 80!! Not bad, I got him half way down and at the end of the day, I'm taking possession of a mint condition vintage amp. Worth it in my book.

Firstly I would like to thank God, without him, none of this would be possible. I want to thank the kid and dak, you guys are great man I love you, I also want to tha.............

Congrats! I think you are at the right price point if the condition is as minty as advertised. Hope to see you post some pics once you have it home.

Chicago IL
    So poppachubby how is the receiver? Do you like it or not?

Hey dak!! Due to conflicting schedules between the current owner and I, I won't take ownership until this Sunday around 6pm. Stay tuned, I'll be sure to post some pics and let you know.

Chicago IL
    So did you get it or the deal didn't go trough?

Thread Information