Using A Preamp and Reciever as a Preamp are there any big Sound Quality Difference?

Hello Audio Lovers, which includes myself. I'm doing some research on what to get for my moneys worth. The Best Budget Preamps verses or matching the same price Receivers. Are there really any Big differences far as quality? What's are you all's experiences?

Peace, Love and Oneness!
    Stephen
    "SATYAM"

Quote Originally Posted by StephenMH
    Hello Audio Lovers, which includes myself. I'm doing some research on what to get for my moneys worth. The Best Budget Preamps verses or matching the same price Receivers. Are there really any Big differences far as quality? What's are you all's experiences?

Peace, Love and Oneness!
    Stephen
    "SATYAM"
    Are you asking because you already have a receiver, (one with 'Preamp Outs"), but don't have a preamp? Presumably your intention is to use one or the other with a power amp: correct? Also, I presume you're talking about a stereo system.

All the above being the case, try the receiver you've got with the power amp you want to use and see how you like it. On the other hand if you've already got the preamp, try it first.

One would hope that preamp in the same price range as the receiver would sound a little better, but this isn't necessarily the case -- it depends on the particular units in question.

Chicago IL
    If you use preamplifier you will need a power amplifier. Few benefits of using preamp is that you can use equalizer and have connected whatever tuner you have.

But it still depends on the brand because there are many good receivers.

Tell us more what you meant because your question is unclear

Bill, Thank you for your reply. There is some info thats connected to my other thread before this. I have all that you mention Plus more. Its a little complex or maybe a lot complex but let me get to the base first.

I using my Stereo and Hometheater all into one system. At this time donot have the space. Leave it up to me I have a system in each room. My Girlfriend keeping me to one room.

My plan is to upgrade the Amp from a Proceed Amp5 125wts to Emotiva XPA-5 200wts the price is Great.

The test is that the Preamp Emotiva UMC1 is $699.00 Compared to the Receivers at least $800.00-$1200 with the Technology including 3D and Sound Quality.

I have the Preamp B&K But Its not HDMI. I Remember at the time when I bought it, change over from the Denon 5803 to the B&K Preamp and the Proceed Amp5 there was a difference. (Tweeter let you upgrade your amp, preamp and receiver for what you paid for within four to five months) I got a good deal on the Proceed Amp5 and ten percent off the B&K Preamp.

I did another upgrade from a receiver that I got a good deal on for a Tweeter store closing in Harvard Square in Cambridge. Traded up to a Denon 5805 that I had on lay away also with a discount . A few years later I had trouble with the HDMI. That's when I bought the Yamaha 863 Receiver use it as a Preamp. No longer have the Big credit card etc... Did not at the time have lot of money to put in a high end Preamp and knew of no Budget end Preamp.

Again my question the Quality or the Difference in its price range of the Emotiva Preamp UMC-1 $699. compared to Similar price range in between $800.00 to $1200. with the most current technology including 3D(Yamaha,Pioneer Elite& Denon)

Stephen

Suspended
    In general you get better performance from a dedicated preamp. They can only stick so much in one box and stay within the price point a receiver sells at. I have not heard the Emo preamp. The Proceed is a decent amp and I'd be surprised if the gain in performance is noticeable, if at all, with an Emo amp. Why not use the Proceed and put more money into a decent preamp?

Take a look at the Rotel 15nn A/V preamp. New it would be over $1200.00 but if you can stretch it would give you good performance in music and movies. I've seen some refurb Marantz A/V 8003 preamps around as well which I can say by experience is a great preamp for the money. You might also look at the Onkyo or Integra preamps but I haven't heard them but I'd hope the performance is a notch above their respective receivers.

Another thing to consider are you going to be interesting in 3D or other features you might be paying for? Like in a receiver, why pay for multiroom capability if you aren't going to use it. Of course, in most receivers we have to pay for thing we don't use. I don't use nearly all the stuff on my Av8003.

Dakata You're right there are some good receivers out there. Speaking of equalizer some Receiver have them build in. I had a couple Receivers that had build in equalizer and it did make a big difference.

I do have a few stereo amps including some tubes(I do prefer the Warm tube sound easier on the ears), one B&K 3channel amp and one Proceed 5 channel amp. Oh! One Pair Mono-Block Odyssey Stratos Extreme(need repair for one block) they are one my favorite and the other B&K ST-140 a pair sometime I bi-wire one for each speakers.

At this time I'm using the Integrated Tube Amp Jolida JD801a hook up to Von Schweikert vr4 jr My other speakers I exchange sometimes are the Definitive Tech. 2002TL They're better in Hometheater movies I Like the build in Subwoofer very forward Sound. The rest of the surround Speaker are hook up the Proceed Amp5. You might of found me out I'm an Audio Junkie!

Can A Well Put together Receiver used as a Preamp do or be just as good as a Stand alone Preamp?

Hopefully the quote I just left with Bill made it a little clearer. Any Remark or Question let me know Thank You! for the Support!

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by StephenMH
    Bill, Thank you for your reply. There is some info thats connected to my other thread before this. I have all that you mention Plus more. Its a little complex or maybe a lot complex but let me get to the base first.

I using my Stereo and Hometheater all into one system. At this time donot have the space. Leave it up to me I have a system in each room. My Girlfriend keeping me to one room.

Again my question the Quality or the Difference in its price range of the Emotiva Preamp UMC-1 $699. compared to Similar price range in between $800.00 to $1200. with the most current technology including 3D(Yamaha,Pioneer Elite& Denon)

Stephen
    Yep, I'd forgotten about the info you supplied earlier. The "preamp" you mention, the UMC-1, is a "prepro" in my parlance, so that was part of my confusion: sorry.

I'm lucky, (so to speak), to have two systems: see my signature. My HT suits our needs very well for movies, but comes up a little short for dedicated music listening. I have to do a lot of thinking if I were considering an all-in-one system. In my daydream about that, I'd look for a high-grade prepro with balanced, XLR outputs feeding active, (self-powered), speakers.

Say maybe an Anthem D2v prepro ...

... with a set of seven Genelec 8040A's and a pair of Genelec 7060B subwoofers.

Oh well, now THAT'S a daydream.

M.P.S.E /AES/SMPTE member Sir Terrence the Terrible's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    Yep, I'd forgotten about the info you supplied earlier. The "preamp" you mention, the UMC-1, is a "prepro" in my parlance, so that was part of my confusion: sorry.

I'm lucky, (so to speak), to have two systems: see my signature. My HT suits our needs very well for movies, but comes up a little short for dedicated music listening. I have to do a lot of thinking if I were considering an all-in-one system. In my daydream about that, I'd look for a high-grade prepro with balanced, XLR outputs feeding active, (self-powered), speakers.

From direct experience, the 1032a's are a much better speaker than the 8040a's. I have these in one of my PM3 certified tracking rooms. The 7072a is also a better sub than the 7060b. It has automatic setup that maximizes the performance of the monitors integration with the sub, and has room correction as well.

Now that is a audio system!
    Sir Terrence

Titan Reference 3D 1080p projector
    200" SI Black Diamond II screen
    Oppo BDP-103D
    Datastat RS20I audio/video processor 12.4 audio setup
    9 Onkyo M-5099 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-510 power amp
    9 Onkyo M-508 power amp
    6 custom CAL amps for subs
    3 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid monitors
    18 custom 3 way horn DSP hybrid surround/ceiling speakers
    2 custom 15" sealed FFEC servo subs
    4 custom 15" H-PAS FFEC servo subs
    THX Style Baffle wall

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Terrence the Terrible
    From direct experience, the 1032a's are a much better speaker than the 8040a's. I have these in one of my PM3 certified tracking rooms. The 7072a is also a better sub than the 7060b. It has automatic setup that maximizes the performance of the monitors integration with the sub, and has room correction as well.

Now that is a audio system!
    Good to know your actual experience, Sir T. I would heed it if there were the remotest chance that I could ever have such a set up -- but like I said, it's purely a daydream.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    In general you get better performance from a dedicated preamp. They can only stick so much in one box and stay within the price point a receiver sells at. I have not heard the Emo preamp. The Proceed is a decent amp and I'd be surprised if the gain in performance is noticeable, if at all, with an Emo amp. Why not use the Proceed and put more money into a decent preamp?

Take a look at the Rotel 15nn A/V preamp. New it would be over $1200.00 but if you can stretch it would give you good performance in music and movies. I've seen some refurb Marantz A/V 8003 preamps around as well which I can say by experience is a great preamp for the money. You might also look at the Onkyo or Integra preamps but I haven't heard them but I'd hope the performance is a notch above their respective receivers.

Another thing to consider are you going to be interesting in 3D or other features you might be paying for? Like in a receiver, why pay for multiroom capability if you aren't going to use it. Of course, in most receivers we have to pay for thing we don't use. I don't use nearly all the stuff on my Av8003.
    Great Info Thank You!
    Just curious, Why do you think you get better performance from a Preamp? One thing If I remember is interruption of electronics(if I'm wording it right) Including What about using a Receiver as a Preamp compared to Stand alone Preamp?

I did take a look at the Preamp A/V Rotel 15nn and Marantz AV8003 I like the Marantz its short on HDMI has 4. You're Right about the refurbish Marantz the last time I look there where a few out there. Now there's a new receiver with About the same price a touch more brand new;
    http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/r...r7005-receiver

http://us.marantz.com/Products/3230.asp

I just got my Mitsubishi WD-60738 60-Inch 1080p 3D DLP HDTV a touch over a week ago that I order in a few payment on HSN. I would like to experiment on the 3D movies. Have some fun with it!

I understand what you mean, One thing I'm not interested in is multroom capabilities. I do like digging in the systems to find out what the menus are and learning to use them get the best sound and capabilities out of them.

Again Thank you for your help and Support!
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor

Congratulation on your setup I will take a look at it soon. Looking forward to it. I do not have the space to have two setup would be nice! I have enough equipment for two setup. My Girlfriend not having it. She do let me half way have my way.

I have been keeping an eye on the Anthem D2 amp for a while. Believe you me I've been Dreaming also on this Preamp. Anthem Preamp always have Good Reviews. Their prices are High-end.

Thanks for sharing!

Suspended
    That's a good thing to learn the menu and what your gear can do.

Dedicated preamps typically use better components and have more room to do better circuits and upgrade power supply. Receivers have to cut corners in order to meet a price point. It stands to reason a $1500.00 preamp only should have better performance than a receiver at $1500.00, the receiver has to include the amp section as well for the same price. I'm speaking in general terms, there could always be that exception.

Bill
    I'm Impress you're got a lot going on. Seems to be a lot of fun. Plenty of Toys. You have a Unique combination of audio equipment! Again Congratulation!
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody
    That's a good thing to learn the menu and what your gear can do.

Dedicated preamps typically use better components and have more room to do better circuits and upgrade power supply. Receivers have to cut corners in order to meet a price point. It stands to reason a $1500.00 preamp only should have better performance than a receiver at $1500.00, the receiver has to include the amp section as well for the same price. I'm speaking in general terms, there could always be that exception.
    Thank You! Well said! I wondering by using an external Amp with the Receiver can some how bring the Gap closer in Quality? I'm really looking and banking on that Exception!

Thanks for Sharing!
    Stephen

Thread Information