• 06-16-2009, 09:04 AM
    tungh
    Luxman M-1600 or Thorens MMA-5
    Hi all,
    I have a plan to change my listening style, so now I'd love to hear from you some advices to choose one of two amplifiers below, help me please!
    I have 2 choices to have an amplifier from a second-hand shop.
    - Luxman M-1600 (Solid State Stereo Power Amplifier), a vintage power but it has 2 input volume so I don't need a preamplifier... It costs $400.
    - Thorens MMA-5 mono-block power amplifier, they have 2 volume also. They cost $450.
    CDP I'm using is Teac 25x;
    Speakers: Monitor Audio MA800 Gold
    Speaker cable: AudioQuest Type 6
    Interconnect: AudioQuest Jaguar
    I'd love to listen to vocal, jazz-pop, country, saxophone,... smooth in general!
    Thanks in advance!
  • 06-16-2009, 08:43 PM
    tungh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tungh
    Hi all,
    I have a plan to change my listening style, so now I'd love to hear from you some advices to choose one of two amplifiers below, help me please!
    I have 2 choices to have an amplifier from a second-hand shop.
    - Luxman M-1600 (Solid State Stereo Power Amplifier), a vintage power but it has 2 input volume so I don't need a preamplifier... It costs $400.
    - Thorens MMA-5 mono-block power amplifier, they have 2 volume also. They cost $450.
    CDP I'm using is Teac 25x;
    Speakers: Monitor Audio MA800 Gold
    Speaker cable: AudioQuest Type 6
    Interconnect: AudioQuest Jaguar
    I'd love to listen to vocal, jazz-pop, country, saxophone,... smooth in general!
    Thanks in advance!

Please help me!!! :frown5:
  • 06-17-2009, 06:15 AM
    basite
    I don't really know any Thorens amps, I'm familiar with their turntables (which are excellent), but I couldn't give you anymore information about the monoblocks.

The luxman: Luxman is a great brand, and has a great sound. Some of their vintage amps go for really high prices, and much of their gear is pretty valuable. However, I don't really find much about the M-1600. This does not nessecarily indicate that it's a bad amp, but it probably didn't really stand out either.
    I really like the luxman sound though...

Are these your only 2 options??

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
  • 06-19-2009, 09:36 AM
    tungh
    Quote:

Originally Posted by basite
    I don't really know any Thorens amps, I'm familiar with their turntables (which are excellent), but I couldn't give you anymore information about the monoblocks.

The luxman: Luxman is a great brand, and has a great sound. Some of their vintage amps go for really high prices, and much of their gear is pretty valuable. However, I don't really find much about the M-1600. This does not nessecarily indicate that it's a bad amp, but it probably didn't really stand out either.
    I really like the luxman sound though...

Are these your only 2 options??

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.

Thank you Bert! I've just listened to the voice of Thorens Restek MMA-5 Mono Power Amplifier without preamp., and my first feeling is better than Marantz PM-90 Intergrated Amp., Proton D-540 also... They are smooth! Especially, very clarity... I need to listen more and more.
    Your question is good! You know, I'm living in Vietnam, where the second-hand audio equipment is not allow to import, so we have no more chance to choose. The second is my budget, it's not much :( I have only 500$ for amplifier.
    Well, if I buy these Thorens, I need a preamp., so please help me to choose one. I have only 300$ for that. I love vacuum tube preamplifier with phono line-in! And the question is the good name of preamp as you know...
    Help me Bert!
    Thank you in advance!
    Tung
    p/s: Sorry about my English...