AR Newbie Registered Member

What amp for Epos M12.2s (8Ohm) monitors?

I'm joyfully assembling my first quality stereo system. Please excuse "newbie" question.

I had decided to get the Epos M5 speakers and possibly match them up with a Cambridge Audio 640A or 540A amp, based on great reviews for that combination.

But, I found and bought a pair of Epos M12.2s at a great price that I couldn't resist. Figured that the speaker which retails for $895 can only be better than the speaker which retails for $650.

The M12.2s specs (below) are different than those of the M5s, which are a '4Ohm' speaker.

Power Handling 120 Watt Max
    Frequency Response 58 Hz - 20 kHz
    Impedance 8 Ohm nominal
    Sensitivity 87dB/1W/1m
    Amplifier Compatibility 50 - 150 Watt
    (also listed as 25-150 Watts on the epos website)

So, would a CA 640A or 540A amp match up well with the 12.2s as well?
    What alternatives may be better? As I said, I am new to this.

The 640A specs are:
    Power Output: 65 watts into 8ohms
    100 watts into 4ohms
    Input Impedance: 47k ohms
    Loudspeaker Impedance: 4ohms to 8ohms

The 540A specs are:
    Power Output: 50 watts into 8ohms
    80 watts into 4ohms
    Input Impedance: 47k ohms
    Loudspeaker Impedance: 4ohms to 8ohms

Budget in the $400-600 range, new or used. Simple is good. Don't necessarily need a remote. Ah, and it needs to have a phono stage. I picked up a Music Hall MMF-5 turntable, have a nice old analog NAD tuner, and will add some sort of CD player.

My listening preference is for detail, clarity, the elusive "warmth," with taste ranging from Neil Young's solos on the "Dead Man" soundtrack, through War's rhythms on "Life is a Ghetto," to modern electronic bliss, "Brazilian Girls," or "LCD Soundsystem." This is in a high-ceiling, hardwood floor apartment living room. I don't need the amp to be able to knock the windows out.

Thanks in advance -

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Congrats on upgrading your system!

Quote Originally Posted by telescorpio
    I'm joyfully assembling my first quality stereo system. Please excuse "newbie" question.

I had decided to get the Epos M5 speakers and possibly match them up with a Cambridge Audio 640A or 540A amp, based on great reviews for that combination.

But, I found and bought a pair of Epos M12.2s at a great price that I couldn't resist. Figured that the speaker which retails for $895 can only be better than the speaker which retails for $650.

Thanks in advance -
    I've just recently heard these speakers, and was impressed. If you've saved yourself some coin on the speakers, then I would suggest investing it right back into a quality amp. Several Audioreview members use CA amps, and I'm sure you can get a testimonial for their quality. If it was me, I would go for the higher powred model, espeacially if it's not a budget breaker. The used market is also pretty good for SS amps, as they rarely break, and a lot of audiophiles are always flipping gear. Try Audiogon.com.

Good luck with whatever you get!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Forum Regular
    Hi! I'm the owner of a pairs of M5 speakers from Epos and I match them with an IN100 amplifier from Atoll. For several weeks I had the oportunity to listen a pair of M12.2 in combination with the same IN100 integrated amplifier from Atoll and the results were very, very good. I highily recomend the Atoll IN100!

Forum Regular
    An integrated amp from Creek would be a logical choice. Epos and Creek are sister companies, so their products may be voiced to work well together. If you could stretch your budget another $100, the A50i is a compact, but fairly powerful amp that should meet your needs. If looking used, the 5350 is a highly rated unit.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...ed%20Amplifier

Forum Regular
    In the recent past I'v got the oportunity to listen to an A50i from Creek together with M12.2 but the A50i could not drive the M12.2 becouse the A50i is not powerful enough and the M12.2 haz a low sensitivity.

Forum Regular
    In my opinion the M5 haz a better sound then M12.2 especialy the midrange and the highs. The voices are far better and far natural and the M5 is more neutral and detailed.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    I own the Azur 640 A and have been very impressed. My speakers are fairly ineffecient at 86dB w/m and it drives them very well. Good weight to the bass. Mids and highs are smooth and detailed. I am very pleased with the quality for the little amount of money paid. When I bought mine they threw in an upgraded power cable and I was skeptical but the amp has tighter bass and better dynamics and drive.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnMichael
    I own the Azur 640 A and have been very impressed. My speakers are fairly ineffecient at 86dB w/m and it drives them very well. Good weight to the bass. Mids and highs are smooth and detailed. I am very pleased with the quality for the little amount of money paid. When I bought mine they threw in an upgraded power cable and I was skeptical but the amp has tighter bass and better dynamics and drive.
    OK! But what speakers do you have?

Thread Information