Luxman L 110

Printable View

• 10-01-2008, 07:30 PM
    luxman l110
    Luxman L 110
    needing some help with my amp. Anybody have any info on the Luxman L-110? It lost a channel many years ago and I have been unable to find parts. In need of someone w/ a repair manual or possible another L-110.
  • 10-02-2008, 04:23 AM
    emaidel
    My first "high-end" amp was a Luxman L-100. The amp proved to be quite troublesome, and spent a lot of time in Luxman's shop. Then, when the L-110 came out, the sales manager (a good friend at the time) swapped out my older amp for it. While it sounded somewhat better (though, that could be just positive thinking on my part), it too proved troublesome.

Your amp is at least 28 years old, if not older. Parts are no longer available and my suggestion is to look for a new amp. There are a number of reasonably priced, decent sounding integrated amps from companies like NAD, Rotel and a handful of others.
  • 10-02-2008, 05:31 AM
    Feanor
    Luxman vintage
    Quote:

Originally Posted by luxman l110
    needing some help with my amp. Anybody have any info on the Luxman L-110? It lost a channel many years ago and I have been unable to find parts. In need of someone w/ a repair manual or possible another L-110.

Hi, Lux, welcome to AR. Always nice to see a new moniker.

The best vintage Luxman website I've found this one. There is a chance you'll find some info on the L110 there although I didn't notice any with a quick look. Also, you might ask over at AudioKarma where there is a lot of interest in vintage equipment.

I've always loved the look of Luxman equipment especially the earlier stuff. I briefly owned a Luxman preamp that I bought used on eBay, however I soon sold it. Frankly the construction quality didn't impress me very much. There is quite a bit of Luxman equipment for sale on eBay however it's my strong impression that the Luxman stuff is overpriced versus equipment of the same vintage from Marantz, Pioneer, Kenwood, et al.
  • 10-02-2008, 07:48 AM
    emaidel
    I checked that Luxman site out and couldn't find either the L-100 or L-110 either. The C-1000 preamp is there though, and its faceplate is identical to either the L-100 or L-110 amps. I also loved the looks of this stuff with its heavy, cast aluminum faceplate, knobs and switches, and there's no denying the beauty of the rosewood case. Still, many of those expensive looking and feeling items failed: the "touch mute" almost never worked; all of the toggle switches ultimately became very noisy; and the "linear equalizer" was a totally useless appendage.

My C-1000 preamp was a unit completely rebuilt and rewired by Luxman personnel, and worked flawlessly the whole time I owned it (save one tape monitor - the unit has two - that lost a channel). Still, it couldn't hold a candle to the sound of a newer, and much less expensive, Adcom GPA-565. Add to that, the C-1000 had speaker terminals on it, and speaker selector switches. I don't know of any other preamp anywhere with this function. I know I didn't use it, and don't know anyone who did.

Still, for looks, old Luxman stuff can't be beat. And I do mean "old," as the newer products made after the acquisition of Luxman by Alpine looked more like stock JVC product than the high-end product that made Luxman a standout.
  • 06-26-2010, 01:50 AM
    carlgin11
    Luxman C-1000
    I just acquired a used luxman c-1000 and it is working alright. However, I would like to know more about the connections like there are 2 outputs but also it has provisions for 2 sets of speakers. I don't have an owners manual nor a service manual for it.

Thanks,

carlgin11
  • 06-26-2010, 05:33 AM
    poppachubby
    Quote:

Originally Posted by carlgin11
    I just acquired a used luxman c-1000 and it is working alright. However, I would like to know more about the connections like there are 2 outputs but also it has provisions for 2 sets of speakers. I don't have an owners manual nor a service manual for it.

Thanks,

carlgin11

Carl post a photo and I'm sure we can explain it for you...
  • 06-26-2010, 12:20 PM
    basite
    Hi, Carl,

Welcome to AR :)

the speaker outputs on the preamp are a "rare" thing, as far as I know, only Mcintosh and Luxman did that, maybe accuphase too on one or 2 models, but not much at all :p

the RCA outputs are normal, they're just a double set of pre outs, so you can connect 2 power amplifiers at the same time.

The speaker outputs on the preamp are for "monitoring purposes" as Mc described it, basically they are a (very) low power, basic power amplifier, so you can connect small speakers to them, I don't know the philosophy behind it, maybe for a small "second zone", or for rear speakers (not surround, but somekind of "quadrophonic" system, for "non critic", and background listening for small speakers, so one can listen to the radio for example, check the news without having to fire up the big poweramp...

I wouldn't use them, they are low power, and not ment for long and louder listening.