AR Newbie Registered Member

Looking to upgrade my receiver

I'm looking for suggestions on picking up a new (to me) pre-amp and amp, or an integrated receiver. My current setup is a JVC RX-888 powering a pair of Klipsch KG4. After doing some research, I realized that to really hear these speakers I need a something a little better and so started looking for a more dedicated amp and preamp system. I've been checking out craigslist for deals on vintage stuff and just recently passed up a deal on Onkyo Integra Pre-Amp P-304 and Amplifier M-504 for $375 - kinda kicking myself for that one. There are plenty of used Sansui and NAD in my area, but at this point I need to decide whether or not I am looking to get separates or an integrated receiver. I am not concerned about upgrading to a multi-speaker system or adding a subwoofer, as these speakers take up a lot of space and make plenty of terrific sound.

Please help me pick out a new system. The only limit I have is funds - $700 limit. Thanks!

Well, with 700 buckaroos you are probably not going to be able to get decent seperates unless you find both units used and for a really good bargain and even then you are limited to some degree. Perhaps the better route would be a really average receiver and you might be able to swing getting a power amp for your front mains. For example: spend $200-$300 on something like a Pioneer receiver and get a power amp for the remainder, maybe something from Parasound, Outlaw, or similar. The other option might be getting something better in the receiver line, such as a Pioneer Elite model receiver or Denon, Marantz, something similar.

You could get a pretty good integrated amp used for 700. Your Klipsh are pretty efficient and dont really need a lot of watts....just quality watts which the JVC does not have
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 Integrated amp
    Musical Fidelity A3.2 CD
    Teac DS-H01 Dock
    Energy 22 Reference Connoisseur Speakers
    Cardas Cross and Cardas Hexlink Golden 5C
    Tara Labs RSC Reference Gen2

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyBC
    You could get a pretty good integrated amp used for 700. Your Klipsh are pretty efficient and dont really need a lot of watts....just quality watts which the JVC does not have
    can you suggest something more specific?

rotel, denon...

or the used sansuis, sometimes you can get a great deal on vintage gear...
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

What do you think of NAD 317 Stereo Integrated Amplifier and NAD 5000 CD player? I might be able to pick those up for $350.

2 channel lover

this is what i have

ive used a few amps, the first one that i liked was a fisher 100wpc studio series which was one of their better models. also the intgra series for the onkyo was totl, the one that im using right now which i love is a sansui au-7700 dam ya gotta love those suis
    I BELONG TO A REAL AUDIO
    FORUM

Well you can choose to go from JVC to Yamaha to Marantz to Denon to NAD and Rotel and feel unforfilled, OR!!!
    You can go with a tube integrated for around your price. Would that even a consideration?

I'll say 20 watts will be more than enough for most. If you dont wanna full with power tubes then how about a hybrid amp?

Sophia, Conasance, Jolida, or even Rogue Audio(you can get lucky)

Forum Regular
    I would second the tube recommendation, especially with Klipsch...

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar

Outlaw, baby (RR2150)

You may be a candidate for what IMO is the most functionaly efficient, and frankly coolest, piece of budget gear...http://stereophile.com/integratedamps/306outlaw/

I swear to god I'm gonna get one of these for my computer set-up. Hey, and you'll come in under budget.

Hi Dire,

You might want to look at a second hand Naim Nait 5i integrated. Won TAS editors choice. Robert Harley reckons its one of the audio bargains of the century. New it runs a bit high for your budget at 1,500.00. But I've seen them used on Audiogon for $700-800. Excellent Pace,Rythm and timing (PRaT). Excellent tonal and timber quality. Its limited to only 50watts but 'what a fifty watts!' Look up reviews on this one. It'll suck up your entire budget but will be well worth it.

Thread Information