AR Newbie Registered Member

Looking for Preamp With AGC

I'm searching for low cost preamp products with AGC that will limit the high volume portions and boost the low volume portions on the TV and DVD inputs to my audio system. My wife and I are 65+ and our hearing can no longer adapt as well as the hearing of younger folks. I'm an electronics engineer, so don't shy away from technical terms.

Forum Regular
    Seems like that would best be accomplished with a receiver. My Yamaha RX-V663 has automatic Dynamic Range Control that, when active, compresses dynamic range at low volumes, and allows it more room to breath when you turn the volume up. You can also keep that off and just set the overall Dynamic range to MIN/STD/MAX. I'm sure other brands have similar features, but I haven't shopped for a new receiver for a while.
    Tim Evans
    East Street Audio
    Onix, Melody, & ACA

Quote Originally Posted by jdeegerman
    I'm searching for low cost preamp products with AGC that will limit the high volume portions and boost the low volume portions on the TV and DVD inputs to my audio system. My wife and I are 65+ and our hearing can no longer adapt as well as the hearing of younger folks. I'm an electronics engineer, so don't shy away from technical terms.
    Hello, " j ", and welcome to AR forums.

What you are looking for is a dynamic range compression device -- there are many of these available, (though not all are necessarily adaptable to your needs). A some AV receivers have built-in compression (a.k.a. dynamic range control).

There are also external devices. Analog-connecting types will be easiest to find. They might set between your TV or DVD and you receiver, but you will need to used the analog out puts from your DVD player and you audio system which is likely limiting, forcing you to stereo (vs. 5.1 multichannel), or even if your DVD and receiver both have 6-channel connector, require you to use multiple devices. You receiver might have an "external processor loop" which which would be the best thing to use.

Other people will likely have better ideas than me, but the Behringer MDX1600 is an example of a device with dynamic range and/or peak-limiting capability, (and other stuff): click HERE. Some draw backs of this particular device are (1) it's 2-channel only, (2) it has only one set of imputs, and (3) it employs balanced, XLR connectors and you would need hybrid cables to connect to single-ended, RCA inputs and ouputs.

Digital devices might also exist that might accomodate multichannel via digital connections.

It's ironic the most "audiophiles" concerned about too much compression on popular music recordings.

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    It's ironic the most "audiophiles" concerned about too much compression on popular music recordings.
    I was thinking the same thing too. Thanks for the change in perspective and welcome to the forums.

I'd imagine, for this particular question, you'll find a lot more specific answers on professional audio forums...those geared more toward live reproduction as much of that equipment is designed more for limitation and equalization of frequencies than optimization. That's often an area of contention in audiophile circles and the technology is not generally as responsive in Home Theater units. Just a thought...

Good luck and do let us know how the journey goes...
    So, I broke into the palace
    With a sponge and a rusty spanner
    She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
    I said : "That's nothing - you should hear me play piano"

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. The Behringer is way more comp0licated than I am looking for. I have a low-end analog receiver/amp because do not have the auditory discrimination to tell much difference between that and a high-end system. I'm looking for something where I can set the low-volume boost and high-volume limiter knees to what works for me and leaave tham at that setting. If I can find a cheap enough unit, I would buy one for both the DVD and TV amplifier inputs. I found a couple of microphone preamps ICs that I could build a circuit around but I do't really need any gain. Something that would take the TV and DVD audio outputs,compress them, and send them on to the amplifier at teh same average signal level.

Thread Information