AR Newbie Registered Member

NAD C320 vs C320BEE

Hi,
    Has anyone upgraded his NAD C320 to C320BEE? Can anyone comment on the sound differences?

I have owned the older C320 version for 5 years, and just caught eye of the C320BEE, which I am currently considering...

I will appreciate everyone's comments.
    Thanx

I used to own the NAD 304 35wpc, a few generations older than the c320 but a very good little amp. Drove my Dynaudio 60s without breaking a sweat until I got more powerful separates. But I really think the sonic differences will be nill between the c320 & c320bee. Rather, I would save up for a better and different amp all together; I.E. Creek, Arcam, Musical Fidelity, Jolida, Antique Sound, Sugden, Classe, Conrad Johnson, Audio Refinement. Some of these may only be affordable used at something like ebay or audiogon, but they these are some of the best "affordable" integrated amp makers I know of. Rotel and Cambridge and Creek will give you a different presentation as well if you want to listen and buy new near the price of the NAD..

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    I agree with psonic...any differences between the C320 and C320BEE will be pretty minor, and very likely NOT worth the cost of upgrading.
    Why are you considering upgrading? Something wrong with the C320, did you get new speakers needing more power?

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I agree with psonic...any differences between the C320 and C320BEE will be pretty minor, and very likely NOT worth the cost of upgrading.
    Why are you considering upgrading? Something wrong with the C320, did you get new speakers needing more power?
    In fact, I have been auditioning the C320BEE for quite a while; I have agreed with the dealer to keep in until it breaks in. With several breaks when I was travelling, the breakin time must have well exceeded 150 hours. I pair them with my B&W CDM2 monitor speakers.

In short, the C320 and C320BEE do sound different, with BEE being absolutely remarked for its bass power. At first being too boomy, the bass has narrowed and become tight and well placed, forming a separate sonic stage, something that the C320 lacked. BEE's bass is so powerful so you have the feeling as if you just hooked up huge floor speakers. Also, while playing the C320 I sometimes added bass which it often lacked - with the C320BEE I am more often than not inclined to turn it down... :-) In any case, BEE's bass is perfectly visceral and grand. I am still not sure if I like it...

On the downside, the mids and highs are still harsh, but are being opened up. I am curious how it will sound in 2-3 months - my C320 shined after about 3 months. The C320 has a well-articulate club-like sound, whereas the BEE version sounds more like a concert (stadium?).

So, I would not agree that the differences are minor. It's only with the BEE did I realize that my B&W's needed more power. The problem with the BEE is that I still don't like its mids, imaging and soundstage (but that probably is a matter of tweaking: I have changed apartments and am still in the process of settling down). If I could only be sure that in the end it will narrow down to that of the C320, I would probably be happy :-)
    Lastly, why do I consider upgrade? Pure coincidence - no sooner had I read about the new C320BEE than I stumbled upon one in a Hi-End saloon (by coincidence again, they had it stacked side by side with the other over $1,000-cost amps they normally stock) ... and decided to give it a go :-)

psonic,
    I know about Classe's, Sugden's, and MF's traits, as these are probably the ones that I would go for, if I had more choice and money. The problem is that I can't use ebay etc, 'cause I reside neither in the US, nor EU, where most sellers are... Brand new are quite expensive. And Rotel, Cambridge and Creek are, to me, inferior to NAD. Did you hear the C320 or the C320BEE? Which other of the NAD modern like did you hear?

The C372 I heard and was happy with it, but it's overpriced IMO. Creek is Stereophile Class A & B, NAD is Class C on their recommended components list. I'm not sure NAD is better than Creek, maybe better than the other two. Rotel small integrated I do not care for, RA01 (i think), but the 60wpc model I do like. I have not heard the NAD 320 series, I used to have the 304 which was a giant killer of sorts. What brands do you have access to?
    Dynaudio Audience 60
    Audio Refinement Complete Integrated
    Sony DVP-NC685V CD/SACD/DVD
    Audioquest Viper Interconnect
    14AWG OFC Speaker cable

"hey dreaming it up accounts for half the fun - and time"

Not too many, mainly 3-5 years ago when I was out looking for a good amp and finally settled on NAD. Not been disappointed. Listened well to Arcam, Classe (good one but above $1,000), Rotel, Cambridge, let alone low grade non-audiophile Sony's, Technics, Marantz. Also, a good bunch of other higher end models (like Audio Note etc) that I have forgotten, which didn't impress me considering their price range (all above $1,000). Thus, my price range is $300-500, and one should try really hard to convince into raising it. On one ocasion I got fascinated by Copland (merely by rave reviews and by friends' admiration, and by its mere looks LOL), and was even considering one, but then found out that model (18 I guess) was no longer in production.
    I didn't hear Creek, but have its headphone amp (21), well acclaimed in reviews, but actually rather disappointing. So I just guess the integrated amps would be just as good.
    In a sense, the NAD C320 is a benchmark for me: I can ENJOY listening to it for hours, without fatigue. By tweaking and playing with cables mainly I have significantly impoved its sound, and now I cna enjoy its life-like sound. I never cured its poor bass however. The C320BEE has it galore. I just wonder how the rest of the spectrum would compare.

Forum Regular

Question Can you guys help?

I currently have a NAD C350 Amp driving Whafedale Dimond 8.3's. I have seen a NAD 214 Power Amp up for grabs on eBay and was wondering weather or not to put an offer on it and use it to drive the woofers and let the C350 drive the tweeters. What do people think?

Any help/comments appreciated

Ste

Sounds like a good idea adding the 214. Which reminds me, the original poster could just add a power amp to the 320 and then get a better preamp later...
    Dynaudio Audience 60
    Audio Refinement Complete Integrated
    Sony DVP-NC685V CD/SACD/DVD
    Audioquest Viper Interconnect
    14AWG OFC Speaker cable

"hey dreaming it up accounts for half the fun - and time"

Thread Information