Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications

looking for advice on 2 amps

Dad and I went out shopping for an amp for his living room. He wants to power a set of 4 ohm speakers and doesn't want to overload his little yamaha receiver that's downstairs. We found 2 amps in particular which I'd like your opinions on. Unfortunately we can't test them out at home.
    AMC 2100: used for $58 bucks. Seems to me these had rather "mixed" reviews 3 or 4 years ago, and I don't trust the reviews here at ar.com, people tend to be biased towards whatever products they purchase.

AudioSource Amp-One A: Seems like a decent little 80 wpc performer. Used for $76.

We listened to both in the store and they sounded pretty good compared to the used arcam and adcom's we were looking at too, but stuff usually sounds better.

Would you recommend either? Would we be MUCH better off to go with a used Rotel, or Adcom or someting for 3 times the price or so? Thx again.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Dad and I went out shopping for an amp for his living room. He wants to power a set of 4 ohm speakers and doesn't want to overload his little yamaha receiver that's downstairs. We found 2 amps in particular which I'd like your opinions on. Unfortunately we can't test them out at home.
    AMC 2100: used for $58 bucks. Seems to me these had rather "mixed" reviews 3 or 4 years ago, and I don't trust the reviews here at ar.com, people tend to be biased towards whatever products they purchase.

AudioSource Amp-One A: Seems like a decent little 80 wpc performer. Used for $76.

We listened to both in the store and they sounded pretty good compared to the used arcam and adcom's we were looking at too, but stuff usually sounds better.

Would you recommend either? Would we be MUCH better off to go with a used Rotel, or Adcom or someting for 3 times the price or so? Thx again.

Can you take the speakers to the amp and listen? What are the ratings on those amps? Do you have the specs? Is it rated for 4 ohm speakers?
    mtrycrafts

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    The AMC 2100 is rated at 100 wpc, very low distortion (less than 0.1%, good enough for me) and claims to easily be able to drive 4 ohm speakers. We heard them on 4 ohm speakers at the store...sounded pretty good. Plenty of power.
    I think the AudioSource was only rated at 80 wpc, but seemed pretty much the same as far as power goes. Maybe a slightly better sound than the other amp, tough to tell though. It's hard to find reliability info on either amp. Dad was going to dump 200-300 bucks on a used Arcam or Rotel or something, but if these do the trick he'll have money left over for something else. Just looking for info at this point.
    To be honest they sounded pretty good compared to some of the other brands we tried out too, and sometimes you can find a gem in the not so "glamorous" brands. Sometimes they're junk though, too.

Thread Information