Forum Regular

looking for a 2ch amp to run mains

Went looking at some amps today for my mains. Was wondering about these name brands? Niles,Elan,Crestron and B&K. This is gonna just be for 2channel music,going to run it threw my yamaha receiver. My main speakers are paradigms studio 20's, sub is a servo-15 Just wondering how these brands were?? thanks for any input on the matter!

Can a crooner get a gig? dean_martin's Avatar
    The only one I'm familiar with is the B&K. From everything I've read (reviews and owners' comments), B&K amps are supposed to have a "warm" sound that would probably compliment your Studio 20s very well. An in-home audition would be best if you can get it. Second best would be a liberal return policy.

What's your price range?

I owned a B&K for 15 years and yes, they lean toward the warm side. If your Studio's are V2's or earlier, they may benefit from such an amp. However, the V3's I heard didn't exhibit the same treble response as earlier versions and may actually suffer from a B&K amp as it tends to roll the highs off somewhat. Still, many find this sound to be "euphonic" and exactly what they are looking for. As Dino pointed out, you'll have to hook it up to your rig to see what's best.

Niles is known for in-wall speakers and switch plates. That's not to say they don't know how to build an amp, but they wouldn't be my first choice. There's simply too many superior options.

I've never heard of Elan or Crestron, sorry.

Forum Regular

cool thx

gonna go look at Rotel and NAD amps today. My price is $500 to $1000
    so i know i can find a good amp in that price range for that. thx for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by madmax1
    gonna go look at Rotel and NAD amps today. My price is $500 to $1000
    so i know i can find a good amp in that price range for that. thx for the replies!
    You might look into this PS Audio HCA2. Both Geoffcin (w/ Maggies) and I (w/ B&W's) use this amp and when I was doing my auditions a year ago, to my ears it bettered Rotel, B&K, Adcom, Anthem, Odyssey, Aragon, Parsound Halo, and Sunfire among others. Follow the links from audiogon for the Stereophile review that describes the technology. The HCA2 is neither solid state nor tube. Instead, it is a Hybrid Class A (HCA, get it?) digital switching amp that melds the best qualities of ss and tubes. It has the sweetness and air of the best tubes combined with the authority, slam, and sheer speed of the best ss. From an empirical standpoint, it can drive any load without strain and most importantly, without generating any heat. This thing runs dead cold regardless of how long or hard you've been driving it. It's a pretty cool little toy. See if you can find a unit to audition. Also, buying amps used is usually a pretty safe bet as there are no moving parts and most of the guys at Audiogon take care of their gear.

Hope this helps.

Forum Regular

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice i will look into that amp. Gonna try to get some amps to audtion at home.

AR Newbie Registered Member

Studio 20 bi- amp

Hi Madmax1 - did you choose an amplifier for the Studio 20s yet? I just got a pair too - Ver 3

I am wondering if anyone has bi amped these speakers and noticed a significant difference. Right now, I could buy a 5 channel NAD S250 amp for $1000 (I'm sure most of you have seen it) and I am tempted to have it shipped out here.

Any other successful recs for the paradigm studio series are welcome

-JC

Quote Originally Posted by madmax1
    Went looking at some amps today for my mains. Was wondering about these name brands? Niles,Elan,Crestron and B&K. This is gonna just be for 2channel music,going to run it threw my yamaha receiver. My main speakers are paradigms studio 20's, sub is a servo-15 Just wondering how these brands were?? thanks for any input on the matter!

Thread Information