Forum Regular

Marantz 5400 vs 6300

Anyone have an opinion on which is the better of these two, given a similar price point? The 5400 has had very good reviews, but 6300 owners seem pretty happy with theirs. I like the learning remote of the 6300 better, and am not convinced of the utility of component switching as I have all the component ins that I need (right now anyway) on my rptv. The intangible in my mind concerns any audio improvement that Marantz has done in the 400 line. Unfortunately, I can't find a store with side-by-side comparison in my area.

Any opinions appreciated.

F1
    Go with 6300.
    Learning remote is a BIG plus! I can control TV, DVD, VCR, cable box, even my aircon with it!

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by F1
    Go with 6300.
    Learning remote is a BIG plus! I can control TV, DVD, VCR, cable box, even my aircon with it!
    Yeah, my wife laughed at the look on my face when I saw that remote! ..and you control your aircon with it..lol! That's a gas!

Anyway, I think that it's a BIG selling point, but my hesitation stems from reviews that I've seen that state that the 400 line "is significantly upgraded from its predecessor", which is presumably the 300 line. I haven't been able to determine what these 'significant upgrades' entail however, and the audio guys at my local shop don't seem to know either.

I'm not sure if this is just marketing hype, or if there is actually some significant differences that happened with this year's models. I was hoping that someone here might know.

F1
    What I can think off, the x400 series only offer more surround modes compared to its predecessor. Other than that the amplifier section should be the same. With this logic 6300 should be 'better' than 5400. Good luck.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Agree with F1.

The preamp power amp section will be the same. Hell they are probably the same as they were five years ago...on a sound quality basis.

Yes they may have added different surround modes. 6.1 to 7.1 big deal since 5.1 is good enough. They'll have DTS and blah blah blah.

Get a deal on the 6300. A&B Sound had it selling for ~$700.00CDN and the 7300 for $860.00CDN.

By the way - don't pay attention to most of the reviews. the magazines are only there is companies sell. Many of the magazines accept advertsing FROM the likes of Marantz. A bad review can mean no more Marantz or Denons sent. And NAD or Outlaw don't have the bucks to replace those advertisng revenues.

You don't see a lot of reviews of Sugden or Audio Note in magazines. Neither spends any money on advertising - notice the correlation.

Forum Regular
    Regarding Marantz I've had some problems with noise in their SR4300 model. Marantz could not fix it so I switched to a H/K. Many other reported this noise problem too, although the problem could have been fixed now (but I don't know).

http://hem.bredband.net/b113928/The_...antzSR4300.htm

T

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RGA
    Yes they may have added different surround modes. 6.1 to 7.1 big deal since 5.1 is good enough. They'll have DTS and blah blah blah.

Get a deal on the 6300. A&B Sound had it selling for ~$700.00CDN and the 7300 for $860.00CDN.

By the way - don't pay attention to most of the reviews. the magazines are only there is companies sell. Many of the magazines accept advertsing FROM the likes of Marantz. A bad review can mean no more Marantz or Denons sent. And NAD or Outlaw don't have the bucks to replace those advertisng revenues.
    Thanks RGA. That's about what I figured. And yes, I'm getting it from A&B Sound. It's a floor model (which they tell me hasn't been on the floor long---certainly looks and sounds fine), and I've bargained them down to $575, with full warranty. They didn't have any 7300s left. Can't wait!

Forum Regular
    If you look at the 6300 make sure that you try an analog source with it first! W/ my reciever (SR6300), the peak indicator comes on (with no audible deterioration) with every analog source (Nintendo Gamecube, Rotel CD player, X-Box, Marantz DV4300... and a few others) that I have tried EXCEPT T.V. I don't know why this is, but I have asked a Marantz rep, and he tells me that there is a "programming issue" which makes the indicator come on.

This is not to much of a problem for me because I use digital inputs for all of my components except my T.V. (which doesn't give me this problem). I personally believe that this is an issue with the input sensitivity or it could even be that the DAC is peaking when recieving an analog source.

That's an really the only issue I have had with the reciever and other than that it has been very good (I am happy with the sound), but I have to disagree about the remote. The thing is a huge, overly filled monster that contains buttons that I will never use. I have it programmed for my TV as well as my DVD player and my CD player but I'd rather just the remotes tha came with them instead.

Here's a plan, wait, save more money, and buy an Anthem AVM20 with a PVA7. You'll be in sonic heaven, but for a lot more cash (unfortunatly). In audio its better to spend more and smile than rush and regret.

I hope that this has helped you.

Cheers!

Forum Regular
    By the way, that is a great price you are getting. I bet you live in Winnipeg, I do as well and I got my Marantz from A&B for about $1000 a little over a year ago, so $575 is a wicked deal.

Forum Regular
    Hey Waxxiemann,

Thanks for your input.

Interesting. Does the unit shut down, or does the indicator just come on and that's it? I mean, are there any other ramifications of this issue? Does it overheat at all? If it's just a "programming issue" and there's no distortion, then maybe it's nothing to worry about? I definitely plan on using a couple of analog inputs, so this could be an issue. Did the rep offer any resolution, or did he just tell you that you had to live with it? Did he say that there were any risks to the receiver itself?

And I'm not sure that I understand your comment about the remote. If you'd rather use your individual components' remotes, why did you program everything into the Marantz remote? Is it that you prefer to use a universal remote, just not such a big one?

And point taken about waiting, but I also just bought a rptv and a big sub, so my budget is getting stretched a bit thin. The rptv will be delivered in 2 weeks. My current receiver only puts out pro logic (ver. 1), and I NEED to have at least 5.1 surround to complement my tv (don't-cha think?). I'm afraid that a bigger, better receiver will have to wait for now, at which point I'll move the marantz into the room with my old 27" tv. At least this way I'll still be able to smile a bit while I'm waiting to spend more on the next upgrade.

And no, I'm in Vancouver. Same store, different place. From what they told me here, $1,000 a year ago would have been a good price.

Anyone else experienced the peak indicator issue on their Marantz receivers?

Cheers.

Forum Regular
    Nope, the unit does not shut down or overheat, or even make any hint of audible change. The peak indicator just comes on in little spurts like when there is a really low bass passage. The rep didn't tell me I had to live with it but this was the unsaid understanding reached if you understand me. He also said that there would be no adverse affects to the reciever. The guy that I know at A&B sound bought an older model Marantz (I can't remember the model) and he had the same problems.

I wouldn't worry about it to much, but make sure you try and take an analog source with you to the store and give it a try or even ask them to run and grab a Gumecube or somthing to hook up and try. Also, make sure you get a warranty. I think that the inputs on the Reciever are either over or under sensitive, causing this problem.

About what I said regarding the remote. When I got the reciever, I programmed in all of my components and thought that it was the greatest thing, but after a while you'll find that it takes such a long time to try and remember what button you programmed for "last channel", for instance, and then find it amongst the 80 or so buttons on the remote that you could have done it way quicker with the remote for the TV that was sitting there all along. Thats just me though, you may find you like it but it is tough to program those things like "last channel" and "picture in picture" and other obscure things like that because there is no button that says "PIP" or "LAST" on it.

Yes, I prefer a universal remote, just not such a big one, and with not so many buttons.

Just one more thing regarding your last comment. I should not have told you to wait and buy better, but I have been bitten by the bug really bad and I feel like I wish I had waited and made different decisions about the purchases that I have made, so I was trying to live through you a bit there. I'm in the process of buying a beautiful 2 channel amp, but it is $5500. I have been reading reviews and auditioning 2 channel amps for about 8 months. I feel very informed about this purchase. You have to hear this thing to believe it. Anyway, I retract my comment about waiting and hope I have not offended you with it. You'll love the 6300, I did and still do.

Cheers!

Forum Regular
    Hey Waxxieman,

Thanks for the reply and advice. It's good to get feedback from someone who has the same unit.

You might be interested in a comment from someone on another board, regarding the peak indicator (although you might already know this):

"On the SR7300 the peak signal will sometimes come on in stereo mode if your CD is connected by analogue cables, but not on source direct. When that happens you just press the attenuate button which lessens the digital signal. This occurs more so with newer highly compressed CDs. However, connect your cd player to the optical or coax inputs and there is no peaking and the sound is also much improved IMHO and especially in source direct mode."

More or less what you said, but adds a bit more info.

Point taken about the remote...that also makes me think about how other users (wife, guests, etc) might take, or not, to the remote. Forewarned is forearmed.

And no offense taken regarding the wait and upgrade comment. Ironically, it's a bit of the reason why I'm making this purchase: I'm buying a discounted discontinued model rather than this year's model, partly so I don't feel so invested in the purchase. So, I think that we're on the same page anyway. Unfortunately, for the time being, my budget is what it is...and the boss (i.e. wife) wouldn't take too well to buying a $5,000 amp this soon after the rptv purchase...

You must be totally psyched about your upcoming amp purchase. Congratulations! I'm not even sure I want to know more... In any case, good-luck with it!

Thanks again.

R

F1
    Quote Originally Posted by Roreman
    Point taken about the remote...that also makes me think about how other users (wife, guests, etc) might take, or not, to the remote. Forewarned is forearmed.
    Hey,
    My wife & her mother can use the remote w/ no problem. Basically one just needs to memorise few button for few basic operations and that's all (guest still have to learn, though). btw your quote on 7300 peak indicator is right on, use ATT button on the remote to solve. I never saw peak indicator lit up for playing VCR or TV input.
    Good luck.

Forum Regular
    Hey,
    My wife & her mother can use the remote w/ no problem. Basically one just needs to memorise few button for few basic operations and that's all (guest still have to learn, though). btw your quote on 7300 peak indicator is right on, use ATT button on the remote to solve. I never saw peak indicator lit up for playing VCR or TV input.
    Good luck.
    Hey F1,
    Thanks. And yep, no different from my current remote really. Seems to confuse the heck out of everybody, but the wife got used to after a while. My dad even seems to have figured it out...20 visits later.
    Picking it up tomorrow...can't wait!
    R

AR Newbie Registered Member
    btw your quote on 7300 peak indicator is right on, use ATT button on the remote to solve. I never saw peak indicator lit up for playing VCR or TV input.
    Good luck.
    I've just got myself a 7400 with a pair of B&W 603s3s as fronts (will fill out the rest along the way). The combination sounds fantastic. However I ran into the peak issue using analog inputs very early on -- the slightest bass seems to make the peak indicator flash intermittently. Using the ATT button does make it go away but that attenuates the signal by half and it sounds like the life has been taken out of the recording. I'll primarily be using the digital input so this isn't a huge issue but it worries me that the receiver has a problem with this. I'll be checking with the store and will post if there's any new information.

Other than that the sound is detailed, musical, and very pleasing to the ear. Been listening for over four hours now and no sign of fatigue.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Heard back from Marantz -- they've basically said the only time a person should be concerned about this is if the peak light stays on continuously -- brief flashes are ok. If that happens press the ATT button and turn up the volume.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by bwarantz
    Heard back from Marantz -- they've basically said the only time a person should be concerned about this is if the peak light stays on continuously -- brief flashes are ok. If that happens press the ATT button and turn up the volume.
    Thanks bwarantz.

Hmmm, still annoying though. Seems to be a bizarre way to integrate it into a receiver if it means nothing most of the time, but I guess they have their reasons (or not). And I'll agree with switching to digital inputs: big sound quality increase, and no peak light flashing.

R

Thread Information