Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Line Out Line Out Line Out Line Out

Ok, I can't seem to get an answer to my last post, so I'm reposting with the hopes that I can get my question answered this time round. I already know that "pre outs" is the type of RCA outs that I need to run an amp, I need to know if I can run an amp on "LINE OUT?" Once again I'm asking about the LINE OUT part of the back of a receiver, LINE OUT. I was told that I could, and I just wanted to verify that info. Thanks.

P.S. LINE OUT

Tommy
    "The art of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his!" General George S. Patton

Componets
    Onkyo TX-DS575X 500 Watt DTS Receiver
    Onkyo Five disc CD Changer
    Kenwood Dual Tape Deck

Speakers
    Cerwin Vega LS-15 Mains (400 Watts)
    LS-5C Center Channel (100 Watts)
    LS-5 Rear Channels (100 Watts)
    V-12S CV Powered Sub (300 Watts)

That depends on where the signal feeding that "line out" jack comes from.

"Line Level" refers to the level of the signal anywhere in the preamp or processor stages of the receiver. Or, to put it simply, anywhere before the power amp.

A Tape monitor is a line level signal, but this comes before the volume control, and we've been down this road before. Also, the signal between the preamp and the power amp (which iswhat you want) is also a line level signal. Any of these could be fed to a "line out" jack.

You need to read your manual a bit more carefully to determine from where in the circuit this one's signal is derived.

A simple YES or NO would suffice. Can I run a power amp through the LINE OUT jacks on the back of the receiver?? Yes or No?

Tommy
    "The art of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his!" General George S. Patton

Componets
    Kenwood Dual Tape Deck

Speakers

Touchy, aren't we?

So, you want a simple answer when there are varaibles not accounted for, eh? I gave you the only "real" answer possible with the givens but you're too dense and/or immature to realize it.

Well then, technically, yes. You most certainly can. Go for it. After all, the plugs fit, don't they?

It's too bad you're so intent on maintaining your ignorance. Afraid of using your brain and perhaps polluting that vast emptiness with some knowledge?

I guess it's easier to avoid all that nasty reading, learning and thinking and post your questions here and expect others to do all your thinking for you, eh?
    Last edited by markw; 12-19-2006 at 10:11 AM.

NO

you need some sort of preamp in between the the LINE OUT and AMP

Well,...

Quote Originally Posted by ericl
    NO

you need some sort of preamp in between the the LINE OUT and AMP
    He didn't ask if it do what he hoped it would do. It's not like I didn't try to get that point across to him.

Gee, this new batch of newbies is really quite demanding, aren't they?
    Last edited by markw; 12-19-2006 at 10:11 AM.

Mutant from table 9
    I wonder if he is asking about the "line out"? Do you guys think he is asking about the "line out"? Hmmmm, it's tough to tell from his original post if he is asking about the Line Out?

Mark's answer is the right answer, i.e. It depends on whether it a FIXED LINE OUT (tape loop) or VARIABLE LINE OUT (i.e. pre out or even a headphone out).

If OP is looking for unequivocal YES or NO, then Eric is right. The answer is NO. In the absence of all the information and without the OP willing to accept a sophisticated answer, I have to assume OP is talking about a FIXED line out inappropriate for feeding an amplifier. Yes you will get sound from a Fixed Line Out, but Boy O Boy will it be a racket.

OP's original question is like asking "Is wine good with steak?" Answer: "Well, are we talking about red wine or white wine?" Response: "Screw you! Wine is wine. Is wine good with steak?"

"Tha H-Dog listens easy, always has, always will." - Herbert Kornfeld (R.I.P.)

"I lick the mothra moniters because they pump up the base!!" - Dusty Beiber

Quote Originally Posted by SlumpBuster
    "Is wine good with steak?" Answer: "Well, are we talking about red wine or white wine?" Response: "Screw you! Wine is wine. Is wine good with steak?"

Well? Is it? I want to make a steak this weekend and I need to know. And don't start asking me if it's prime rib, fillet or a porter house. It's steak, STEAK. Get it? Steak! Why do all you have to clutter up a simple question. Just say yes if it's good or no if it's not. OK? Yes, or no!
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

Mutant from table 9
    Is it a tuna steak?

Sigh, hopeless...
    WARNING! - The Surgeon General has determined that, time spent listening to music is not deducted from one's lifespan.

George W. Bush? Is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus77
    A simple YES or NO would suffice. Can I run a power amp through the LINE OUT jacks on the back of the receiver?? Yes or No?

Tommy
    George,

Not everything has a simple answer. And you have to listen for the answers that are valid, not just the ones you want to hear.

Well, maybe, maybe not...

...question is like asking "Is wine good with steak?" Answer: "Well, are we talking about red wine or white wine?" Response: "Screw you! Wine is wine. Is wine good with steak?"
    If you drink enough wine of any type, you won't care about the steak. But, before imbibing, I suggest you check the box for a good vintage, say October.

I think he said line out, then that changed to whine, he never said wine. Geez guys, pay attention.
    Herman;

My stuff:
    Olive Musica/transport and server
    Mark Levinson No.360S D to A
    Passive pre (homemade; Shallco, Vishay, Cardas wire/connectors)
    Cardas Golden Presence IC
    Pass Labs X250
    Martin Logan ReQuests.

To Ericl, thank you! The rest of yall, **** YOU! Yall can all kiss my ass!

Tommy

Componets
    Kenwood Dual Tape Deck

Speakers

Mutant from table 9

Tommy
    Oh yeah! Well, you enjoy your Vegas! How you like them apples!

Mutant from table 9
    Oh, and I probably shouldn't be this nice, but I looked at the other thread you posted, the one where you claim you got no answers. The Onkyo you link to will not drive a separate amp. In the sub $700 price range you mention, this will:
    http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...DETYP=RELATION

But that Yammie will have a better amp than that Gem.

Look here for the Pre-Out section on the Back panel, that is what you want. It's right in the middle.
    http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/...450648,00.html

Now quit being so angry and defensive with the world.

but...but...but...

Oh, and I probably shouldn't be this nice, but I looked at the other thread you posted, the one where you claim you got no answers. The Onkyo you link to will not drive a separate amp. In the sub $700 price range you mention, this will:
    http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...DETYP=RELATION
    It doesn't say Line Out!

As for that other thread where he claims he didn't get any answers?, Well, he got answers, some pretty good ones at that. By his starting this thread with a whine, he simply shows us all that he either didn't want to accept them or he simply didn't understand them.

What's really amazing is that he can ask these questions, get many responses that cut up the answers into bite sized pieces, and he still can't or won't grasp the concepts about which he's asking!

Wunner what his next newbie question will be, and if he'll be able to understand the answers? Assuming, of course, that anyone bothers to reply. If they know what's good for them, let's just hope they answer either yes or no.
    Last edited by markw; 12-19-2006 at 07:27 PM.

Mutant from table 9
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    As for that other thread where he claims he didn't get any answers?, Well, he got answers, some pretty good ones at that.
    Yeah, I saw that he got good answers. That's why I say "claimed" he got no answers.

I will guarantee what's is going on though. Taking the Gem amp and Vega speakers as an indication of his frame of reference, he is looking on Ebay at El Cheapo recievers. He is seeing some that say "Line Out" and wants to know if it will work with a separate amp before he buys the receiver. However, he is misconstruing "Line Out" as a term of art, i.e. that it means something specific that does not vary in context. Kind of like any input labled "phono" should lead to a phono stage and never vary. But, to me, "Line Out" is too general. I have optical output on a CDR that is technically "Line Out," but ain't gonna drive any amp.

Tommy
    Tommy,

Piece of advice: Relax...

These guys are just trying to help you....

The guy who gave you the NO answer just simplified things by making assumptions...

The first answer you got, was the best....

The question you asked really does not have a definite yes/no answer unless you provide a bit more technical information...

If you don't understand, a complex response from one of the more technical members on this site... then just ask them to explain it better....

Don't get upset and ask for Yes/No answers....

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar
    Yikes. Mentality of a 12 year old!

Teh really funny thhng here is...

But, to me, "Line Out" is too general. I have optical output on a CDR that is technically "Line Out," but ain't gonna drive any amp.
    I deal with some pretty serious semi-pro equipment (A&H 4800, etc) and, in most cases, their reference to "line out" refers to a variable output. But, whatever. As long as he's happy. I do wonder if he's proud of this thread, though.

This thread has been fun. I hope he starts a new one. Maybe he could do a DVD review for us.

Slump, Thank you very much! You answered everyone of my questions, and then some. At least someone was kind enough to take time out of their schedule, look at my previous post, and saw exactly where I was coming from. At least there is one or two on here that pay attention. Again, thank you, I will be looking at that Yahama link you sent me. You see guys, that wasn't all that hard, we could have avoided all this testosterone, and all this "lets pull out the measuring tape, and sees who's bigger than who." It's always some long and drawn out sermon, like everyone is trying to sound smarter than the next person. Who gives a damn, I'm just looking for simple answers. Once again, thanks Slump! You rock! By the way, I like them apples!

Tommy

Componets
    Kenwood Dual Tape Deck

Speakers

Slump, Thank you very much! You answered everyone of my questions, and then some. At least someone was kind enough to take time out of their schedule, look at my previous post, and saw exactly where I was coming from. At least there is one or two on here that pay attention. Again, thank you, I will be looking at that Yahama link you sent me. You see guys, that wasn't all that hard, we could have avoided all this testosterone, and all this "lets pull out the measuring tape, and sees who's bigger than who." It's always some long and drawn out sermon, like everyone is trying to sound smarter than the next person. Who gives a damn, I'm just looking for simple answers. Once again, thanks Slump! You rock! By the way, I like them apples!

Tommy
    Dude,

Put away the ruler. You're the one with the testosterone overload. I went back to your other thread. I saw that many people gave you answers. Some even read your owners manual and found out that the answer was no. But you didn't want to accept that. Instead you started bashing people. But it's everyone else? Come on man. Take a step back and take a good look at what you are doing.

test the blind blindly emorphien's Avatar

Tommy
    You need a reality check. You asked for a direct answer to a question that is more complicated than you seem to realize. We all noticed that you seemed to be missing a piece of the puzzle (it happens to everyone at some point, there are a lot of pieces to the proverbial audio puzzle). Since everyone noticed they actually tried to do you a favor to make sure you properly understood what you were asking about because if you did, you'll know why you can't set it up the way you wanted to. As some have noted, there are sometimes different meanings to Line Out but the most general and probably common/correct answer would be no to your question. However as is often the case in audio there's a big "BUT" tagged on to the end of that.

People aren't happy with you now because you acted like a jerk to everyone who tried to help. And you have continued to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information