AR Newbie Registered Member

Replace or repair RGR Model Four preamp?

I currently use the Robert Grodinsky Research Model Four preamp, have had it for about 10 years (bought it used). Lately the signal has (intermittently) been muddled when using the CD player or tuner. When the signal isn't muddled it sounds fine.

I was thinking of replacing it with the Parasound PHP 850, but was wondering if the RGR is worth fixing. I am a casual listener, so I don't want to spend a ton of cash, and the reviews on the Parasound seem pretty solid. Any opinions on whether to repair or replace would be appreciated. Any other preamps in the same price range as the Parasound ($250) worth considering? Thanks.
    Last edited by 40vb; 06-15-2004 at 05:52 PM. Reason: want to state that i bought it used

Why don't you use a tape input instead of the aux. I have this unit and am quite pleased with it. The problem could be as simple as an old solder joint.

David

Quote Originally Posted by 40vb
    I currently use the Robert Grodinsky Research Model Four preamp, have had it for about 10 years (bought it used). Lately the signal has (intermittently) been muddled when using the CD player or tuner. When the signal isn't muddled it sounds fine.

I was thinking of replacing it with the Parasound PHP 850, but was wondering if the RGR is worth fixing. I am a casual listener, so I don't want to spend a ton of cash, and the reviews on the Parasound seem pretty solid. Any opinions on whether to repair or replace would be appreciated. Any other preamps in the same price range as the Parasound ($250) worth considering? Thanks.

I Lately the signal has (intermittently) been muddled when using the CD player or tuner. When the signal isn't muddled it sounds fine.
    If all you use is high level inputs and the cable from pre to power is short, then you might find that you need no preamp at all. Make yourself some attenuators for $20 instead. Switching sources would require cable switching.

I get higher resolution in my main system using the CD source where the gain of my preamp (used for vinyl only) is not needed.

rw

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

Great minds?

Quote Originally Posted by E-Stat
    If all you use is high level inputs and the cable from pre to power is short, then you might find that you need no preamp at all. Make yourself some attenuators for $20 instead. Switching sources would require cable switching.

I get higher resolution in my main system using the CD source where the gain of my preamp (used for vinyl only) is not needed.

rw
    I use my preamp only for switching, and attenuation. I find that with line sources, less is
    more. Call me a pureist, or just plain cheap, but I've never sen the point of a high-end preamp, unless of course vinyl is your thing and then it's manditory.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

sylmar, ca. in beautiful so cal earthquake country

i would have it repaired

it sounds like a simple repair (or just cleaning of a switch) that any good service tech could run down and fix quickly and cheeeeeply. try repeatedly rotating the switch back and forth for a minute. that could change things.

grodinsky was a very good designer and i wouldnt hesistate to buy a used rgr product (there arent new ones anymore i suppose).
    ...regards...tr

Forum Regular
    THere is an RGR pre up for auction at the Goodwill.com

Also a very large RGR amplifier here in town (Atlanta) at a pawn shop...

RGR Preamp

I thought my RGR 4 preamp was sounding quite dull and lifeless so I opened up the lid and the base plate and had a look. For those of you with this preamp it is probably a good idea to do this.

I found one solder connection from the transformer to the fuse completely broken away--amazing the thing worked at all. I also found on several of the small plug in circuit boards, several poor solder joints. Some boards were OK, and so I suspect they were made by different workers. Turning over the unit to look at the main PC Board, there was also evidence of poor soldering. I re-soldered every connection that looked suspect.

Had a look at the bias pots and they were not adjusted the same. Not having the info on the bias level I took a chance and set them to both the same point on the pots, about 2 pm. Formerly the right channel was weak.

Was I surprised, the improvement was astounding. The bass was now present as were the high frequencies. Imaging also improved greatly. I could finally hear some depth. I had been ready to sell the sucker, but now I will hang onto it. The Channel balance returned. Haven't tried the phono section yet, but will do so tonight.

For those of you luckly or unlucky enough to have one of these, apparently the build quality left a lot to be desired in some cases.

Next up-- to replace the ghastly RCA input and output jacks.

David

Thread Information