Post Leaving amplifier on all day

My subwoofer amplifier has a really high inrush current at turn-on (about 8 to 10 amps), so high that it triggers my computer's UPS protection circuitry, but I guess no serious harm will be done to the actual computer itself. I also have an AC voltage monitor and sometimes the voltage dips close to 102v when I turn on the amp, but restores to at least 112v. I live in a college house, refurbished but some of the wiring is still really old, so before my landlord does something about it can I leave my amp on all day without too much concern? I haven't had it on for a long time because the AC line voltage got a lot worse when one of my roommates bought a huge fishtank while the other one bought a heating lamp for his lizards. I miss the subsonics though...

Forum Regular
    Well, first of all, you shouldn't have your sub plugged into your computer UPS. The UPS is designed to supply power to computer equipment, not audio equipment. It's a different type of sinewave.

Secondly, doesn't your sub auto power on when music signal is detected, and shutoff after a little after the music stops? Most subs do this. If yours does not (like maybe an old Yamaha or something), I would just leave the sub on all the time. It won't hurt anything and at idle it should only be using a few watts. Hell, I leave my 100 watt per channel integrated amp on 24x7.

Quote Originally Posted by NickWH
    Well, first of all, you shouldn't have your sub plugged into your computer UPS. The UPS is designed to supply power to computer equipment, not audio equipment. It's a different type of sinewave.

Secondly, doesn't your sub auto power on when music signal is detected, and shutoff after a little after the music stops? Most subs do this. If yours does not (like maybe an old Yamaha or something), I would just leave the sub on all the time. It won't hurt anything and at idle it should only be using a few watts. Hell, I leave my 100 watt per channel integrated amp on 24x7.

No my whole theater system is not plugged in the UPS, only my computer is but my whole room is on the same AC branch circuit. My subwoofer is passive and I use an amplifier to power it, the problem is that whenever I turn on my amplifier it draws a large amount of inrush current for a short period of time(like a few milliseconds), but its enough to cause a brownout in my room and trigger the protection circuit in te UPS. So my question is if there's any negative effects of leaving an amplifier on all the time, besides wasting a few cents on the power bill.

Forum Regular
    I would leave it on all the time.

Forum Regular
    I used to get in the habit of leaving my power amp on all the time... but it generates so much heat along with my computer running in the same room (for this I have to have my AC running). Not sure of the cost of electricity but I'm sure it's enough to be of concern.... especially summer coming along, electricity becomes expensive... And even more heat of course

Forum Regular
    What class is your amp?
    Some amps run more power when on idle, such as class A stuff. Class D or something would run a lot cooler and probably use less power when idle.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    I leave my Sugden on all the time. If you're going on vacation or away for several days you would want to turn it off but I see little harm in leaving it on all the time. Unless it's a tube amp or a hot running class A amp you should be ok. Subwoofer amps are neither.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by NickWH
    It's a different type of sinewave.

Huh? How is it different if it is coming from the same power company?
    mtrycrafts

Forum Regular
    For what it is worth, I leave all my equipment on 24/7 365 days a year.
    Remember, different isn't always better, but it is different.
    Keep things as simple as possible, but not too simple.
    Let your ears decide for you!

Thread Information