Forum Regular

I'm Broke, but I need a new amp

80's vintage Luxman died (55 wpc) Just bought a house and car, so money is tight.
    I saw a Sherwood "receiver" (gasp!) 105 wpc for 100 bucks at Best Buy. Do you think
    it would sound half-way decent driving my Snell Type E 2's (very efficient) in a room
    sized 20' X 16" until I can save some cash to buy a new amp? Thank you

I know that story... What is your budget?

eBay browser

Quote Originally Posted by bobbybob1
    80's vintage Luxman died (55 wpc) Just bought a house and car, so money is tight.
    I saw a Sherwood "receiver" (gasp!) 105 wpc for 100 bucks at Best Buy. Do you think
    it would sound half-way decent driving my Snell Type E 2's (very efficient) in a room
    sized 20' X 16" until I can save some cash to buy a new amp? Thank you
    My recent eBay browsing leads me to believe that best deal in ecomony audio these days is a vintage integrated amplfier. A major brand 70's or early 80's integrated of 60-100 wt/ch seems to go under $150. I'd take that over the $100 Sherwood any time. I'd look for Sansui, Pioneer, Kenwood, Yamaha, or Marantz, instead of Sony, JVC, Sherwood, Technics, et al.

(BTW, receivers of the same vintage and power go for more money, so I wouldn't start there unless I wanted radio too. Vintage pre/power amp combs go for significantly more money than integrateds and are relatively overpriced, IMO.)
    Last edited by Feanor; 07-04-2007 at 03:25 AM.

Suspended
    Yeah, forget the Sherwood. Either take the $100.00 and get your Luxman fixed or as suggested look for something on the used market. If you have any thrift stores in your area, check for electronics, you'd be surprised what you might find. I picked up a Classic Sansui integrated for $20.00 in great shape. As Feanor said, there's a lot of vintage 2 channel gear you can pick up for less than $100.00. I bought my brother a Luxman receiver from Ebay some years back for $95.00.

Good Luck

Thread Information