Ajani

Krell KAV 400xi v NAD Masters M3 v NAD C372

Krell KAV 400xi ($2.5K) v NAD Masters M3 ($2.8K) v NAD C372 ($1K)

I'm just wondering if anyone here has compared 2 or more of these amps.... All are highly rated.... so I'm more interested in specifics on how they sound compared to each other and of course reliability....

Also, is the the C372 far behind the other 2?

I won't be purchasing for awhile, but when I do, I believe those will be my only convenient options... (I'm kinda stuck in a place with very very very limited brand selection... and importing would bot be remotely feasible cost wise)....

Also, I plan to pair the amp with either PSB Speakers or Revel.... in a relatively large room.... so I want power....

Any opinions are welcome.....

Simple comments from me

Quote Originally Posted by Ajani
    Krell KAV 400xi ($2.5K) v NAD Masters M3 ($2.8K) v NAD C372 ($1K)

I'm just wondering if anyone here has compared 2 or more of these amps.... All are highly rated.... so I'm more interested in specifics on how they sound compared to each other and of course reliability....

Also, is the the C372 far behind the other 2?

I won't be purchasing for awhile, but when I do, I believe those will be my only convenient options... (I'm kinda stuck in a place with very very very limited brand selection... and importing would bot be remotely feasible cost wise)....

Also, I plan to pair the amp with either PSB Speakers or Revel.... in a relatively large room.... so I want power....

Any opinions are welcome.....
    I haven't heard any other these amps, though I did own a NAD C270 power amp. The C270 was warmish, not very detailed, and had sloppy bass; my guess is the C372 follows in the tradition.

I have also heard that the NAD Master amps follow in the NAD tradition of warmth, though they hopefully have more resolution and tighter bass. The Krells, on the other hand have a reputation for strict neutrality and strong dynamics. Your personal taste would be a big factor in which you would ultimately prefer.

Ajani
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor
    I haven't heard any other these amps, though I did own a NAD C270 power amp. The C270 was warmish, not very detailed, and had sloppy bass; my guess is the C372 follows in the tradition.

I have also heard that the NAD Master amps follow in the NAD tradition of warmth, though they hopefully have more resolution and tighter bass. The Krells, on the other hand have a reputation for strict neutrality and strong dynamics. Your personal taste would be a big factor in which you would ultimately prefer.
    Thanx for the response. Based on that description, the Krell sounds more like what I should be aiming for....

The truth is that my first decent setup was with a NAD C352 and some Missions.... though the sound was never bad on any style of music I played... it was never really exceptional and lacked any real bass extension.... I traded out the NAD for some Rotel gear and the improvements were fantastic.... (too bad I had to migrate and sell my gear)

So now I'm looking to eventually rebuild... I've heard NAD and PSB and they generally sound somewhat similar to my NAD Mission setup.... so I know I could live with the sound, but I'm not sure if it would really move me...

I've also heard Revel and was really impressed with their speakers... but I heard them with Musical Fidelity gear...

I've never heard Krell.... only read about them....

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    I missed this thread the first time around. Feanor should win some kind of award or mass-Greenie barrage for diplomacy. Clearly the Krell would wipe the floor with a NAD unit.

In this price range and if you can find it, the Marsh Sound Design a400s amp mated to PSB speakers gives a very detailed and revealing sound with fantastic imaging and depth. Worth a consideration.

http://www.marshsounddesign.com/a400s.html

http://marshsounddesign.com/review.html
    Back in my day, we had nine planets.

Suspended
    The 400xi has to be one of the best values in integrated amps now. Krell is synonomous with power. Other positives are very controlled bass with good slam, detailed, dynamic presentation and extended high end with out being offensive. The 400xi will sound quite different than MF, Rotel or NAD, these are known to be "warm", I feel Rotel is laid back even. I wouldn't call Krell aggressive but it will deliver the impact of the music. A couple things to consider it was my experience that Krell doesn't have good synergy with just any CD player. Last I checked they don't offer one to mate with the 400xi. I think the 400xi will be an easier match though than the earlier kav gear, Krell seems to be getting more of a neutral sound. I actually prefer the older integrateds with a darker feel to the sound stage. Krell says the newer stuff is more "liquid" but it seems less involving to me.

The 400 with Revel might make a good match.

krell is in a whole different league than NAD, if I were to choose between the three amps you mentioned, the Krell would definately be my pick.

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

RGA
    Forum Regular
    Krell has done a good job marketing themselves - never like any of their amps with any gear but hey it's your dime.

If SS is your thing then you should probably add Sim Audio to the list - they have affordable amps that sound better than usual Solid State. My first choice would be Sugden but power is an issue.

The Sim gear is not excessively priced sound nice and have solid power and a good ten year warranty. http://www.simaudio.com/moonaudio.htm

Suspended
    I talked to the Krell dealer today and happen to ask what CDP the usually sell with the
    400xi and they told me most times it is an Arcam.

Coincidently I ran across an article today about Dynaudio using Sim to drive their speakers at CES. I haven't heard any Sim gear but I'd like to.

Thread Information