eph
    AR Newbie Registered Member

Post JBL 310s w/ Creek 5350

Maybe my post title caught your attention. I am in college right now, and somehow putting expensive speakers in a dorm room doesn't seem like a good idea. So I have a pair of JBL "Studio" 310s, which I like a lot for what they are. At the same time, my pathetic Sony A/V receiver can't really drive them. I'm thinking of buying a Creek 5350SE and, maybe, the CD53 to go with it. I think I can keep them out of harm's way better than I could a set of large speakers. I plan to upgrade the speakers, too, once it becomes more feasible, perhaps to a set of AN Ks. My question, though, is any ideas on how this setup will perform in the interim? WiIll my bright, booming JBLs wimper with the Creek integrated? I'm afraid they might... Any other possible amp solutions that would suffice now and carry me further? (I'm open to separates too).
    Last edited by eph; 05-23-2004 at 12:42 AM. Reason: grammar

Forum Regular
    If you are hesitant on keeping expensive speakers in your dorm (rightfully so), why would you risk it with expensive components? I definitely WOULD NOT. It's not worth it, especially when you can probably get 80% of the performance with components that cost half as much.

I would look at entry-level components from NAD and Cambridge Audio. You could easily pickup a nice integrated and CDP combo for under $1000. The new CA stuff will even look almost as good as the Creek. You will still have plenty of room for speaker upgrades with either combo. In any event, I would rather sit back and enjoy the music than worry about a multi-thousand dollar investment getting trashed. Who's got time for that, especially when one should be, you know, studying...

eph
    AR Newbie Registered Member
    Well, I'm not too worried about the components because they will be in a cabinet under lock and key =). I'm not sure I want to get a cheaper combination right now just because of the total money spent. $1000 for a temporary solution is $1000 more than I want to spend overall. Thanks for your suggestion though.

Thread Information