Sophisticated Red Neck manlystanley's Avatar

The Emotiva UPA-2 Thread

We'll I hooked up the Emotiva UPA-2 with the Emotiva cables and I give the cables a hearty thumbs down. My monoprice video cables sound better. I'm listening now to the UPA-2 with the same monoprice video cables I used with my HK655.

First impression (please don't jump on me) is: I'm not sure. Maybe I'm used to the HK more, but the HK just seemed to have much more live-like bass and a fullness of sound. But the UPA-2 does sound more cleaner though.

So why did I upgrade? Well, the HK is getting this horrible left channel problem that I have to either: take it apart once a week and clean out the contacts--or to giggle some pushin's every few minutes.

I'd be curious, for the people who own the the UPA-2, what did you upgrade from and what do you think of the UPA-2??

Thanks,
    Stan
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Family Room: Denon avr-687, Denon CD player, Klipsch RB-5II

HK tends to have a warmer sound and from what I've read about the Emotiva amps is they are anything but warm. Don't take that as a put down as each brand has their own sonic signature. I don't doubt that the Emotiva gives a clearer sound though.

Get rid of those cables and buy some Bluejean ic's. For $30 you cant beat them. They sound better than a $300pr of MIT cables.
    Pass Labs X250 amp, BAT Vk-51se Preamp,
    Thorens TD-145 TT, Bellari phono preamp, Nagaoka MP-200 Cartridge
    Magnepan QR1.6 speakers
    Luxman DA-06 DAC
    Van Alstine Ultra Plus Hybrid Tube DAC
    Dual Martin Logan Original Dynamo Subs
    Parasound A21 amp
    Vintage Luxman T-110 tuner
    Magnepan MMG's, Grant Fidelity DAC-11, Class D CDA254 amp
    Monitor Audio S1 speakers, PSB B6 speakers
    Vintage Technic's Integrated amp
    Music Hall 25.2 CDP
    Adcom GFR 700 AVR
    Cables- Cardas, Silnote, BJC
    Velodyne CHT 8 sub

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by blackraven
    HK tends to have a warmer sound and from what I've read about the Emotiva amps is they are anything but warm. Don't take that as a put down as each brand has their own sonic signature. I don't doubt that the Emotiva gives a clearer sound though.

Get rid of those cables and buy some Bluejean ic's. For $30 you cant beat them. They sound better than a $300pr of MIT cables.
    I would echo that. My old HK amp was definitely warm, almost too exaggerated in the midbass range and definitely doesn't sound like Emo stuff.
    But compared to my Adcom amps, the Emotiva amp does have a relatively warmer sound. Even my Rotel is a just a tad brighter. There's a bit more detail that shines through in the Emotiva though. It's a much better sounding amp.

What H/K amp did you have? Mine certainly wouldn't belong in the same room as the Emotiva.
    Might not be your cup of tea though.

I would give it some time. When I bought my Rotel amp, I switched from an older Yamaha receiver (not a particularly great one). I remember initially being disappointed, and thinking the Yamaha sounded better. I think we just get familiar with or used to a certain sonic signature and when you change it, it sounds off at first because it's different. After a week or two when I went back to the receiver there were things missing (and the sound got smeared at higher volumes) that I could pick up on much quicker. It was quite a revalation to me at the time actually. Now I would probably find that old receiver terrible sounding.

Edit: I see in your signature you have the PM655. I had the PM 645 I believe...good amp. Until it melted (literally). I subjected that thing to more punishment than any amp should ever endure.
    Last edited by kexodusc; 12-12-2009 at 04:13 AM.

Hello Raven,
    You are right about the HK sound versus's the Emotiva. The UPA-2 has the following advantages (that I can hear):

-- Better imaging.
    -- Much better clarity.
    -- Higher freq. seem to be crisper

But, the sound difference (less warmth) is such a difference that I was fairly surprised. For my tastes, I'm not sure if I like it or not? I tend to be very adaptable person who learns to like something with time.

This is why I was curious of what amps that people moved from.
    Listening/Movie Room: ADCOM GTP-500, XPA-2, Denon 3930ci, Front: Jamo C809; Surround: Klipsch R-5650-S; Back: R-5650-S; Denon AVR-687,. Projector: Sharp XR-32X.

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    I would echo that. My old HK amp was definitely warm, almost too exaggerated in the midbass range and definitely doesn't sound like Emo stuff.
    But compared to my Adcom amps, the Emotiva amp does have a relatively warmer sound. Even my Rotel is a just a tad brighter. There's a bit more detail that shines through in the Emotiva though. It's a much better sounding amp.

What H/K amp did you have? Mine certainly wouldn't belong in the same room as the Emotiva.
    Might not be your cup of tea though.

I would give it some time. When I bought my Rotel amp, I switched from an older Yamaha receiver (not a particularly great one). I remember initially being disappointed, and thinking the Yamaha sounded better. I think we just get familiar with or used to a certain sonic signature and when you change it, it sounds off at first because it's different. After a week or two when I went back to the receiver there were things missing (and the sound got smeared at higher volumes) that I could pick up on much quicker. It was quite a revalation to me at the time actually. Now I would probably find that old receiver terrible sounding.

Edit: I see in your signature you have the PM655. I had the PM 645 I believe...good amp. Until it melted (literally). I subjected that thing to more punishment than any amp should ever endure.

You guys are so good! Great advice. I'll give it some time.

So, your saying that the LC-1's are the ones to get?

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm

Thanks,
    Stan

Department of Heuristics and Research on Material Applications
    Quote Originally Posted by manlystanley
    You guys are so good! Great advice. I'll give it some time.
    Stanley,

Some of the people who gave me a lot of advice recommend a little trick when I demo new gear. Be sure to play music you aren't at all familiar with. Don't get me wrong, play music you are familiar with too, that's just as important, but by playing something you're not used too, you might eliminate any pre-conceived notions of what it should like. It won't hurt. I find with music I know, I listen carefully for bits of detail at certain times in the music, and as such I can usually find the detail. When I don't expect it and it shines through on one amp, but not on another I take that into consideration. I've found this useful in determining soundstage, imaging and especially microdynamics.
    I would think you should be noticing quite a difference at louder volumes too with a more powerful amp.

How big is your listening room?

Suspended
    Stan, the LC are the ones to get. Frenchmon and I found the BJC a good improvement over his Monoprice. Showing him how bad the Monoprice were prompted him to go out and buy new cables. He also heard some of my more expensive were better than BJC and went that direction but for what you are doing the BJC are very good. Sad statement if the Emo cables aren't even better than Monoprice.

What exactly are you using in the UPA's chain? Is the Adcom or Denon the preamp, and which speakers, B&W? Klipsch would be bright no matter the amp.

If, in fact, the Emo amplification runs bright I'd be afraid an entire system would be fatiguing. The ERC-1 is good for what it is but it could definitely benefit from some higher end refinement. Not roll off, just refinement to smooth some edges. In the way that Krell or other manufacturers can provide ample high frequency info yet remain smooth. I guess I shouldn't have used Krel as they tend to cost but they are who came to mind as an example of what I was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody

[Snip] Sad statement if the Emo cables aren't even better than Monoprice.

[Snip] What exactly are you using in the UPA's chain? Is the Adcom or Denon the preamp, and which speakers, B&W? Klipsch would be bright no matter the amp.

Hello Mr. P., I'm running the Adcom and the B&W 684's. But, it occured to me to adjust my 684's. They were 16 inches from the wall and I moved them to be 10 inches from the wall. Big improvement. I'm getting:

-- The more detailed sound
    -- Clearer sound.
    -- Better imaging.
    -- AND nice bass.

I've got to play with this more, but I'm starting to groove here. The only thing I'm concerned about it that the sound is more bright. I run a Denon 3930 (Top end DVD/CD player). I'll need to see how this develops

BTW: I got the EMO Ultra stereo audio cables. They are terrible. Very surprised. I'll get the LP's that you and everyone else all recommend.

Thanks!

Best Regards,
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by kexodusc
    Stanley,

Some of the people who gave me a lot of advice recommend a little trick when I demo new gear. Be sure to play music you aren't at all familiar with. Don't get me wrong, play music you are familiar with too, that's just as important, but by playing something you're not used too, you might eliminate any pre-conceived notions of what it should like. It won't hurt. I find with music I know, I listen carefully for bits of detail at certain times in the music, and as such I can usually find the detail. When I don't expect it and it shines through on one amp, but not on another I take that into consideration. I've found this useful in determining soundstage, imaging and especially microdynamics.
    I would think you should be noticing quite a difference at louder volumes too with a more powerful amp.

How big is your listening room?

Wow, good advice about the music you listen to to demo gear. That's a good point, because I key in on little bits of songs that I love the sound of, instead of the entire package.

My listening/movie room is: 29 x 20 ft. After adjusting my 684's it's made a huge improvement. Now, I can really start to evaluate the emo. But, I'm liking what I hear. The only think now is that the sound is a more bright. I'll need to listen to it for a while. Thanks!

Best Regards,
    Stan

Thread Information