It's finally here...

my new integrated amp, that is.

I've always been fascinated with E.A.R. products from a distance, but now I'm finally trying it out first hand.

E.A.R. 834i.

I've only had this unit for about 3 hours, so it's hard to say, but I can honestly say that I'm, so far, very impressed. I've heard many gears that sound warm but not detailed. 834i is defintely on a warmer side and displays fine edges. We've all said and heard it over and over again, but I'm hearing microdynamics I've not "noticed' before.

One of the thing I'm going to regret with this unit is its lack of flexibility.
    It does not offer balanced in/outputs. Well, this unit does not offer outputs at all.
    I've had my eyes on some phono-pre with balanced outputs, so in that sense, it is not very welcoming.
    I'm still keeping my eyes open for a used BAT VK-55 amp to try out this thing called synergy, and give my BAT preamp a futher chance. But in the end, I'll defintely keep the one that suits my taste.

One of the things I've noticed with my new setup is my phono pre seems to be a bit noisier with this unit.
    There is slightly less hum, but more noise. I will move around my gears and play with wires to see if I can find a better match.
    But overall, my vinly rig is sounding much more liquid with finer details. It's almost like enjoying Jell-O with sharp edges....

This tube integrated amp is said to employ:

8 - EL-34
    2 - ECC 85
    2 - ECC 83

.... but I have no idea where input and driver tubes are located. I can certainly open it up and take a look, but would like to enjoy my music for now.

This thing is SWEET!!!

JRA
    Last edited by jrhymeammo; 06-30-2008 at 06:43 PM.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Congrats on your new integrated amp. I have always read good things about his designs. I would like to have one of his turntables. One of these days I may have to listen again to some tube equipment.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Congrats....

....and you kept that quiet.
    I always like the look of Tim Ps creations. Sometimes the sound is a little too warm, but when he gets it right it can be magic.
    Enjoy, and I look forward to hear how you get on with it.

Peace

"Let The Earth Bear Witness."

CONGRATS HIRO!!!

That amp looks sweet

hope you'll enjoy it

Keep them spinning,
    Bert.
    Life is music!

Mcintosh MA6400 Integrated
    Double Advent speakers
    Thiel CS2.3's
    *DIY Lenco L75 TT
    * SME 3012 S2
    * Rega RB-301
    *Denon DL-103 in midas body
    *Denon DL-304
    *Graham slee elevator EXP & revelation
    *Lehmann audio black cube SE
    Marantz CD5001 OSE
    MIT AVt 2 IC's
    Sonic link Black earth IC's
    Siltech MXT New york IC's
    Kimber 4VS speakercable
    Furutech powercord and plugs.

I'm a happy 20 year old...

Nice man! Can we get a picture of the whole system?
    Enjoy

"Jell-O with sharp edges"

Quote Originally Posted by jrhymeammo
    my new integrated amp, that is.

I've always been fascinated with E.A.R. products from a distance, but now I'm finally trying it out first hand.

E.A.R. 834i.

I've only had this unit for about 3 hours, so it's hard to say, but I can honestly say that I'm, so far, very impressed. I've heard many gears that sound warm but not detailed. 834i is defintely on a warmer side and displays fine edges. We've all said and heard it over and over again, but I'm hearing microdynamics I've not "noticed' before.

One of the thing I'm going to regret with this unit is its lack of flexibility. It does not offer balanced in/outputs. Well, this unit does not offer outputs at all. I've had my eyes on some phono-pre with balanced outputs, so in that sense, it is not very welcoming. I'm still keeping my eyes open for a used BAT VK-55 amp to try out this thing called synergy, and give my BAT preamp a futher chance. But in the end, I'll defintely keep the one that suits my taste.

One of the things I've noticed with my new setup is my phono pre seems to be a bit noisier with this unit. There is slightly less hum, but more noise. I will move around my gears and play with wires to see if I can find a better match. But overall, my vinly rig is sounding much more liquid with finer details. It's almost like enjoying Jell-O with sharp edges....

This tube integrated amp is said to employ:

8 - EL-34
    2 - ECC 85
    2 - ECC 83

.... but I have no idea where input and driver tubes are located. I can certainly open it up and take a look, but would like to enjoy my music for now.

This thing is SWEET!!!

JRA
    Interesting metaphor. Anyway, congrats, Hiro.

Post topless photos!

nightflier
    Are those third-party isolation pods? If so, do they make a big difference?

Thank guys.

Thid is got to be the sweetest sounding amp I've ever heard.
    I can see why Bernd says it can be too sweet. This amp is absolutely musical on everything I've thrown at it. This isn't one of their latest creations for sure, but I trust this amp is set with a solid design.

NF,

I can't tell you if it's benefiting from my Ginkoish tweak because I havent listened without it. At this moment I dont feel the need to play around so I think I'll just enjoy music instead. What I can tell you is:

Phono Pre: Improvement in lower frequency. Tighter Bass and more focused midrange.
    Pre-Amp: Did not notice improvements.
    CDP: Did not notice improvements.
    TT: Have not tried due to leveling difficulties.

Perhaps I can experiment with Softer/Ladies Racquette Balls for lighter gears, but there are no problematic issues to be addressed, so I doubt I'll experiment any further.

If you are curious, I'm using 99 cent Wooden Napkin Holder/Ring from Burlington Coat Factory as coupling base.

JRA

Thread Information