Forum Regular

Help! Combatability Issue

I have a pair of atoms I've yet to hook up. I purchased an adcom gfa545 on ebay, it hasn't come yet because of some shipping problem. I am going to buy a turntable, probably a stanton t.50.

I just read that amps need a special phono mode to be able to take turntables.

please tell me the adcom has a phono mode. I couldn't out whether it did or not on the internet.

I plan to hook up the atoms to my computer and to the turntable.

Super Moderator Site Moderator JohnMichael's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ssarm@mac.com
    I have a pair of atoms I've yet to hook up. I purchased an adcom gfa545 on ebay, it hasn't come yet because of some shipping problem. I am going to buy a turntable, probably a stanton t.50.

I just read that amps need a special phono mode to be able to take turntables.

please tell me the adcom has a phono mode. I couldn't out whether it did or not on the internet.

I plan to hook up the atoms to my computer and to the turntable.
    A power amp will not have a phono amp. That is a function that is handled by an outboard phono preamp or a preamp with the built in phono section. The signal from the ttable has to be raised and equalized to the level of other components such as cd player or tuner. If you are using an outboard phono preamp it will need to be plugged into a preamp so you will have control over volume. The signal from the phono cartridge is eq'd and amplified in the phono stage and that signal is sent to the preamp. With the preamp you are able to select the source you want to listen to, adjust volume, balance and tone if available. The signal from the preamp then goes to the power amp and the power amp drives the speakers. Some cd players with volume controls can be plugged directly into an amp without a preamp but for phono you will need the extra stage.
    JohnMichael
    Vinyl Rega Planar 2, Incognito rewire, Deepgroove subplatter, ceramic bearing, Michell Technoweight, Rega 24V motor, TTPSU, FunkFirm Achroplat platter, Michael Lim top and bottom braces, 2 Rega feet and one RDC cones. Grado Sonata, Moon 110 LP phono.
    Digital
    Sony SCD-XA5400ES SACD/cd SID mat, Marantz SA 8001
    Int. Amp Krell S-300i
    Speaker
    Monitor Audio RS6
    Cables
    AQ SPKR and AQ XLR and IC

Forum Regular
    alright

just to sum that up, if i'm playing only from my computer,

Pc --> Amp --> speakers

is fine, but if i want to have the turntable, I'll have to get

Turntable --> Phono Preamp --> Preamp --> Amp --> Speakers

right?

are there any turntables with a built in preamp that I can get on ebay for cheap?

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar

There are TT with a built in PHONO amp

alright

just to sum that up, if i'm playing only from my computer,

Pc --> Amp --> speakers

is fine, but if i want to have the turntable, I'll have to get

Turntable --> Phono Preamp --> Preamp --> Amp --> Speakers

right?

are there any turntables with a built in preamp that I can get on ebay for cheap?
    But I know of absolutely NO TT with a full blown preamp built in. HOWEVER, there's plenty of good preamps with a phono preamp built in.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

An Adcom GFA545 is a power amplifier only. It has no preamp control section. You will need either a preamp/tuner or a straight preamp with a phono (phonograph) preamp built in or a phono preamp . If you have a preamp or a preamp/tuner without a phono preamp you can purchase one. A phono preamp goes between a TT and a preamp. It provides an extra stage of amplification and the special equalization (RIAA) a cartridge needs. There are lots of places where you can get a phono preamp. www.needledoctor.com has a selection of them. All Adcom gear with a GFA prefix is only a power amplifier. Adcom preamps and tuner/preamps have a prefix of either GFP (preamp) or GTP (tuner/preamp). Some Adcom GFP's and some GTP's have phono preamps others do not. If you are going to connect this gear to your computer I would purchase a preamp or tuner/preamp and use the line out from my computer to one of the inputs on the preamp and if necessary a phono preamp into the preamp. The output from the preamp would go to the GFA545. The GFA545 would drive the speakers. The alternate would be to purchase a phono preamp connect a TT to it and run the output of phono preamp into the line level input on your PC. The line out from your PC would go to the GFA545. The speakers would connect to the GFA545.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Listen to the man...

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    An Adcom GFA545 is a power amplifier only. It has no preamp control section. You will need either a preamp/tuner or a straight preamp with a phono (phonograph) preamp built in or a phono preamp . If you have a preamp or a preamp/tuner without a phono preamp you can purchase one. A phono preamp goes between a TT and a preamp. It provides an extra stage of amplification and the special equalization (RIAA) a cartridge needs. There are lots of places where you can get a phono preamp. www.needledoctor.com has a selection of them. All Adcom gear with a GFA prefix is only a power amplifier. Adcom preamps and tuner/preamps have a prefix of either GFP (preamp) or GTP (tuner/preamp). Some Adcom GFP's and some GTP's have phono preamps others do not. If you are going to connect this gear to your computer I would purchase a preamp or tuner/preamp and use the line out from my computer to one of the inputs on the preamp and if necessary a phono preamp into the preamp. The output from the preamp would go to the GFA545. The GFA545 would drive the speakers. The alternate would be to purchase a phono preamp connect a TT to it and run the output of phono preamp into the line level input on your PC. The line out from your PC would go to the GFA545. The speakers would connect to the GFA545.
    JoeE knows preamps.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Forum Regular
    wow, thanks so much for that answer.

I'm looking at the adcom gfp 555 and 565:

any similar models that have built in phono, that i could get for under 200 on ebay, even cheaper if possible?

im lookin for the minimum requirements that wont let me lose quality. College student budget, I've already spent twice as much as i budgeted for this. In the meantime I'm going to be watching the 555.

thanks for all your help guys.

Here's one I know

wow, thanks so much for that answer.

I'm looking at the adcom gfp 555 and 565:

any similar models that have built in phono, that i could get for under 200 on ebay, even cheaper if possible?

im lookin for the minimum requirements that wont let me lose quality. College student budget, I've already spent twice as much as i budgeted for this. In the meantime I'm going to be watching the 555.

thanks for all your help guys.
    Vintage, but I've never had need to replace it yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PS-Audio-IVH-Pre...QQcmdZViewItem

I would lowball on the offer, $225 is pretty high, although I've compared my preamp to several higher priced models, and when played in passive mode it beats them all the time.

The phono section is highly rated, although you will have to adjust it with resistors for some cartridges. I would ask if those are included. (they are cheap)
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

or you can plug the turntable in to the pc and play from there.use the line in (make sure it's activated) and just play a record, your pc will detect the signals from the line in (turntable) and play them via the line out (to amp)

Not going to work

Quote Originally Posted by basite
    or you can plug the turntable in to the pc and play from there.use the line in (make sure it's activated) and just play a record, your pc will detect the signals from the line in (turntable) and play them via the line out (to amp)
    Phonographs require a special preamp circuit to amplify & eq the signal before it can be used by an amplifier.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Thread Information