Forum Regular

Absoloutly best 2 channel amp for <$700.00

Is it possible to buy a hi performing 2 channel amp min 75 wpc for this kind of money that can power 4 ohms @85db with no problems?

Yes and cheaper

There will be many differing opinions on the best but I would say that a decent midfi recevier would be just fine. Here is a link to one that I think is a decent midfi receiver capable of easily handling 4ohm loads.

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_...203480&sType=C

85 db?

Quote Originally Posted by Dharris
    Is it possible to buy a hi performing 2 channel amp min 75 wpc for this kind of money that can power 4 ohms @85db with no problems?
    Well, a lot of this would depend on the speakers sensivity, which is generally stated in their specs. Although it's only rated for 1 meter from the source it gives a relatively good idea of what it takes to drive it.

And, since most speakers are rated for at least 85db/meter for one watt, I don't think you will have much problem. IMNSHO, I've always been fond of NAD.

Now, if you could elaborate on what you mean by "hi performing",...

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by markw
    Well, a lot of this would depend on the speakers sensivity, which is generally stated in their specs. Although it's only rated for 1 meter from the source it gives a relatively good idea of what it takes to drive it.

And, since most speakers are rated for at least 85db/meter for one watt, I don't think you will have much problem. IMNSHO, I've always been fond of NAD.

Now, if you could elaborate on what you mean by "hi performing",...
    Actually the sensitivty is listed in my original post that you quoted on. Basically wha ti meant by saying "hi perfoming" is an amp that performs higher than its price point.

Forum Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by poneal
    There will be many differing opinions on the best but I would say that a decent midfi recevier would be just fine. Here is a link to one that I think is a decent midfi receiver capable of easily handling 4ohm loads.

http://www.harmankardon.com/product_...203480&sType=C
    Thanks for your opinion, but I need a two channel amp not a receiver.

Absolutely, especially if you don't mind buying used. Check out this Threshold (Nelson Pass of Pass Labs) amp that has me drooling...

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1083004398

There are a ton of others at Audiogon or check E-bay.

For new, AudioAdvisor.com is a good place to check out. They were selling demo Parasound Halo A23's for around your price point. They also have Adcom which is a reliable amp. Maybe something there will work for you.

BTW, in repsponse to your other thread, McCormack is a well respected company that builds high quality stuff. I have friends that have their amps and swear by them. How it sounds w/in your system is up to you.

Good luck.

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/

Check out their "Deals" page. The 370 in particular.

RGA
    Forum Regular
    My choice with so little information is a 7 -10 year old Bryston 3B NRB. They have 20 year transferable warranties leaving 10-13 years left - rated at 120 watts per channel but are usually measured at 150-160.

Another option - and one I dabled with - with is the Bryston 2B LP - or even TWO 2B LPs and running them as monoblocks(if that's possible i never checked).

http://www.bryston.ca/revprod.html

Silence of the spam Site Moderator Geoffcin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Absolutely, especially if you don't mind buying used. Check out this Threshold (Nelson Pass of Pass Labs) amp that has me drooling...

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....ran&1083004398

There are a ton of others at Audiogon or check E-bay.

For new, AudioAdvisor.com is a good place to check out. They were selling demo Parasound Halo A23's for around your price point. They also have Adcom which is a reliable amp. Maybe something there will work for you.

BTW, in repsponse to your other thread, McCormack is a well respected company that builds high quality stuff. I have friends that have their amps and swear by them. How it sounds w/in your system is up to you.

Good luck.
    Hey Topspeed, if that amp had you drooling take a look at this one;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=39783

I've always been a fan of Threshold products.
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio Classic 250. 500wpc into 4 ohms.
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,
    Marantz 6170 TT Shure M97e cart.
    Arcam Alpha 9 CD.- 24 bit dCS Ring DAC.
    Magnepan 3.6r speakers Oak/black,

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Hey Topspeed, if that amp had you drooling take a look at this one;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=39783

I've always been a fan of Threshold products.
    Holy Crap!

Yep, those are the actual words said when I opened the link. I've admired Threshold since the mid 80's. Those things are built like a tank and sound terrific. I remember they always had truly gutterral bass. This one looks like it's been ridden hard and put away wet so I'd take a pass if in the market. BTW, I noticed that the one on Audiogon is already sold. Big surprise.

PSA and Threshold, huh? Great minds think alike .

Geoff buys a new (almost) amp!

I'm a fan of Nelson Pass, and just about anything he's designed. It's kinda funny, but in the huge world of SS components, you really get a sense for the genius of just a few men.
    If I had my way I would surely have a couple of Pass Labs monoblocks making their home over here. OK, I'll settle for a couple of PS Audio Classic 250's too!

One almost overlooked thing about Pass is that he's designed many components for other manufactures. The Adcom GFP-750 is one that comes to mind right off the bat. If I were to replace my PS Audio IV preamp, that would most likely be my choice. Also, Nakamichi made some amps using the Stasis technology and they are very good. I almost bought a PA-7 a while back.

Oh, I've decided that I couldn't wait any longer for PS Audio to release their new multichannel amp so I've decided to add another 2-channel amp in the interim. The amp is a Musical Fidelity A3cr. I've had this amp in my system a couple of times already and it's always impressed me with it's clarity, speed, and overall unflappable ability to take everything I throw at it. It's really a sweet little amp, I'm surprised that I got it so cheap! The amp will power my Magnepan III's, and hopefully my new theater room will be finished in just a couple of weeks so I can use all four maggies for the first time!
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

The Collector
    I personally like the Crown D-75 or the AB 200. Both are exclent amps and they are small convection cooled amps. Another option may be to look for a Dynaco ST-75 tube amp. I have a rather large dynaco collection that seems to be growing constantly and i love them

Forum Regular
    Browsing Audiogon.com, I've seen the Bryston 3BST advertised for an asking price of $750.00. A bit of negotiating may get you down to your budget parameters.

The Bryston has a bullet proof 20 year transferable warranty, excellent customer service plus you'll loose nothing or next to nothing should you decide to try something else down the road. At the right price, Bryston is a very good investment which is a very rare thing in audio land. The 3BST should happily drive most any speaker unless you're trying to fill a church hall with mind blowing volume.

Jet

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffcin
    Oh, I've decided that I couldn't wait any longer for PS Audio to release their new multichannel amp so I've decided to add another 2-channel amp in the interim. The amp is a Musical Fidelity A3cr. I've had this amp in my system a couple of times already and it's always impressed me with it's clarity, speed, and overall unflappable ability to take everything I throw at it. It's really a sweet little amp, I'm surprised that I got it so cheap! The amp will power my Magnepan III's, and hopefully my new theater room will be finished in just a couple of weeks so I can use all four maggies for the first time!
    Geoff,
    I'd be interested to know your observations of the a3cr vs. the HCA2 on your big Maggies. How 'bout a shoot out?

ts

Forum Regular
    i dont know how much these are, the top one has 1200 watts a side into 4 ohms, other things on the site seem fairly cheap so you never know,

http://sunfire.com/amp.htm

Quote Originally Posted by topspeed
    Geoff,
    I'd be interested to know your observations of the a3cr vs. the HCA2 on your big Maggies. How 'bout a shoot out?

ts
    Hi Topspeed,

I am hoping that the multi channel HCA will be a better performer, but we're already up in the nice lofty "boy doesn't it sound great" level with the A3cr. The Musical Fidelity is clearly a better sounding amp than my 200c right up to clipping. On this we've done some pretty good A/B work and it is consistant. I was really lucky to get this amp as my friend just got a massive Classe 401amp, and had way to many amps just lying around (4 or 5!), so he sold me this one.

On a side bar; My new theater room is almost done. I've hard wired it for 7.1 sound, and I've gone to the trouble to bring TWO seperate 20 amp lines into the front wall for all of the electronics. Now the amps will be on a totally seperate line from the source. Also, if I ever have the mind, I could get some monster amps that draw up to 2kw's and not overtax my wiring. I know it sounds like overkill, but I once got to hear a set of 20.1 maggies driven by a kilowatt each, and it brought new meaning to the term "shock and awe"
    Audio;
    Ming Da MC34-AB 75wpc
    PS Audio 4.5 preamp,

Forum Regular

Nad C370

If you want new, the NAD C370 amp.Awesome power and quality for the money.It is a high current amp capable of instantaneous bursts of power into any dynamic load.For this money, most other manufacturers, give you a good cabinet and expensive faceplates with gutless stuff under the hood.

Amps

look at NAD, Rotel, Jolida hybrid, parasound, as well as integrated.

IIRC For $999 Anthem MCA 20 offers a 200wpc that is amazing. That would have no problem...but it is a bit over $700...as is the $899 125 wpc Audio by van alstien OmegaStar 240EX

In the $700 +/- range you can find 60-100 wpc amps.

FWIW: I know the Bryston B-60 integrated is out of your price, but it only puts out 60 wpc. It was able to crank the snot out of some PMC GB-1 floostanders rated at 87db.

IMO, you can get a high quality used amp or integrated for $700.

Example: Adcom GFA-545-II Power Amp (100 w/ch)--------$275

www.thesoundwell.com and www.audioclassics.com

C370/C270: should be good discounts available

Quote Originally Posted by hertz
    If you want new, the NAD C370 amp. Awesome power and quality for the money. ...
    The C370 integrated and the C270 power have be discontinued in favour of the C372 and C272 respectively.

I just bought a C270 for Cdn$575 (plus tax), i.e. about US$430 -- I didn't haggle so a person might do better.

Forum Regular
    your speakers are so-so efficient at 85db/watt
    so probably pure class A such as pass is out of the question if you have a decent sized room.
    I would get the stuff those guys mentioned such as bryston used.

Thread Information