Forum Regular

integrated amp questions/advice

Hello,

It's been a long time since I did research and invested in my stereo system. My HK PM665 (int. amp) has finally died, after almost 25 years. My Polk Audio SDA2A speakers of the same era are still going strong, and I really like them. I've updated the tuner to a Sony digital version and after several bad experiences with Denon players, my CD player is now a Marantz CD5001. I play a lot of different kinds of music in a large living room/dining room area (17' X 40') that has mostly hardwood floors.

So, I'm looking to replace the integrated amp and am having a hard time finding what I need. I'd ideally like to spend less than $500, but if I had to I could go up to about $800. I would like to power 2 sets of speakers, either one at a time or both simultaneously on rare occasions (the Polks mentioned before would be for 95% of the music playing alone, and a crappy set of wall-mounts in the kitchen would occasionally be for radio listening when making dinner). I would also like to use my iPod as an input, either through a front plug or with a Y-cable as an "auxiliary" device. I don't know much about doing so, but ideally I may want someday to run the computer music through the amp to my home speakers as well, so that's a possible feature I'd like.

I've not yet found any one integrated amp that fits all of these needs, but I've been looking at a few models: Marantz pm5003, NAD C326BEE, and NAD C355BEE. The Marantz accommodates 2 sets of speakers (though I'm not sure if it lets both play at the same time), but the NADs do not. The NADs allow for MP3 player front input. None seem to accommodate a computer input. I also saw a NAD C352 (new, and actually cheaper than the others), which appears to be an older model, but I don't know much about it. I'm by no means set on any of these and would love to hear others' opinions about better options.

Thanks in advance for indulging my question and for letting me benefit from your greater knowledge and experience.

Aren't those Polk speakers 4 Ohm? I don't think there are too many amps where I'd run those and another pair at the same time. Otherwise, something like the Cambridge 550A seems like an option.

Forum Regular
    I don't know if they're 4ohm or not...

I'll look into the Cambridge option. And, I've also discovered and am interested in the Rotel RA-1062 (at $700), which seems like a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by bobinsb
    ... And, I've also discovered and am interested in the Rotel RA-1062 (at $700), which seems like a good option.
    http://www.audioclassics.com/ has two of those, one in mint condition.

I would think the Cambridge or the Rotel could be viable options baring they are putting out enough power for a room of that size. I would also check the used market and see what can be had in a preamp/amp seperates setup. You could probably find something with like sound quality and possibly more power so that you won't have to work the unit so hard to fill that room of yours which is pretty big. I have seen two channel preamps from great companies go for cheap used and power amps the same. I would give Audiogon a try and see what you can find there. If you are pretty avid on new equipment the options listed above are good ones or you might give Emotiva a look at since you could get a preamp and power amp in your price range and they would be new with a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like the way they sound.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Suspended
    You might also give a look to the Onkyo 9555. It received a lot of good press when it came out. Not sure how it's fixed for computer interface. It would seem any AUX would work though. Jolida also makes some integrated in your price.

Out of what you've looked at so far, depending on model the Rotel or NAD would be my front runners.

Welcome to AR

Forum Regular
    For the sake of someone else in the same position, I thought I'd post my resolution to this.

After lots of research and advice, I came to some conclusions. The Rotel RA-1062 was my favorite, based on reviews, feedback, etc., even though it was at the high end of the budget ($699). However, I found that in spite of some dealers who initially claimed to be able to get it, it is not available anymore (at least not new).

In its place, some were able to get the Rotel RA-06 (which was originally sold as a European model, I believe), which was a bit harder to find out much about (and cheaper by $100).

After thinking (twice) that I'd purchased the 1062 it turned out not to be so...

So...I started over, did the research I was hoping to avoid, and (I'm guessing I'm not alone here) ditched my budget completely. I ended up buying the Peachtree Nova ($1200) with the Wadia 170i transport ($379), from which I'll play Apple Lossless files on my iPod. And, I'm now in the market for speakers, I think, but that's a whole 'nother story, about which I have a whole 'nother set of questions to be posted under a separate thread.

Thanks for the input, and may this experience prove useful to someone else.

Suspended
    Thanks for posting back. I'm not familiar with the Peachtree, how do you like it?

Forum Regular
    It's still on its way, but I really liked it when I auditioned it. Also, it's highly adaptable to future inputs from computer, etc. and a quite capable amp in its own regard. Others seem to be very enthusiastic about theirs.

I myself haven't heard of Peachtree but with the amount of companies in the audio world in today's world it does not surprise me that there is a few out there that I haven't heard of and with me being at the hobby end of it instead of being a audio shop manager I am not able to get my hand or my ears on as much equipment any more so its nice to know there is still some finds out there that are not trying to get into the Main stream like the likes of Harman Kardon and others that after going into the main stream the quality of their stuff seemed to suffer.

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Forum Regular
    I have an $100 Creative X-Fi transmitter hooked to my PC via USB cord and it wirelessly streams Pandora, music files, CD's, Ipods, etc to 5 different amps throughout my house. One of the amps I use is a 45 year old Marantz 1150 which drives a set of 4 ohms speakers as well as a pair of 8 ohm speakers without a hitch. To play music throughout my house it was cheaper buying several older amps than trying to find one amp with several speaker connections.

Thread Information