• 08-10-2006, 09:14 PM
    dylano
    integrated amp for paradigm studio 100 w/ headphone out?
    Hi,
    I would appreciate any recommendations available used for under 1k. Something with enough power to safely crank the paradigm's a bit. Any thoughts on:
    Portal panache
    Anthem integrated 1 or 2
    bryston b60
    Thank you,
    Dylan
  • 08-12-2006, 05:36 AM
    Pat D
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dylano
    Hi,
    I would appreciate any recommendations available used for under 1k. Something with enough power to safely crank the paradigm's a bit. Any thoughts on:
    Portal panache
    Anthem integrated 1 or 2
    bryston b60
    Thank you,
    Dylan

Well, the anechoic sensitivity of the Studio 100, v. 3, has been measured at the NRC as 88 dB and the impedance curve indicates the speaker is definitely a 4 ohm speaker, perhaps even 3 ohms as the minimum seems to be somewhat below 3 ohms in the upper bass.

http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/me..._studio100_v3/

So, look for an amplifier with the best 4 ohm rating you can find. The Bryston B60 is a nice little amp with good current capability, though I'd rather have a B100. I'm sure the headphone output on them is superb. I looked up the Portal Panache and it seems to be a good bet, too. I didn't find anything on the particular Anthem products you mentioned on the Paradigm site, but Anthem is high quality. Given your price limitations, I presume you are looking at used products.

The Studio 100, v. 2, seems to have been a little more sensitive and the impedance doesn't drop quite as low. Since you seem to be looking at used products, I perhaps should not just assume you have the latest iteration of the Studio 100.

Rotel used to make a nice 100 watt integrated ampifier but currently seems to only have a 60 watt one.

I don't know what you mean by "crank" in actual volume terms. I expect a good 60 watt amplifier would play reasonably loud with them, but the bigger the better to a point.