Thread: Opinions please

AR Newbie Registered Member

Opinions please

Love the McIntosh C500 and C2300 pre amps, but i feel the mc501 are too laid back and the bass punch could be a little more tight and define. I would like it a bit faster as well

As such, I am turning to Krell Evo 320...have not heard them yet. (heard the Krells were real bass crunchers)

Any other amps to recommend with the lower frequency "whack" but still being warm at the same time?

Do you see any problems with mixing pre-amps and amps from different manufacturers?

there are no problems with mismatching manufacturers. In fact some of the best systems I have heard are components made from different manufacturers and if you do your homework right you will have what you want. An amp manufacturer I am currently studying is Odyssey, they make several amps at different price levels that from what I have heard will give you the speed you are wanting without any loss in sound quality what so ever. Its just my opinion that you should give them a look and a listen if you have someone in your area that has one. They are built well and have a killer upgrade option so if you want to upgrade you have good options there as well

Marantz SR5008(HT)
    Nu Force P8 Preamp (2 channel)
    Pass Labs X150.5(2 channel)
    Adcom 545 mk2 power amp(rear channel amp)
    Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S Mains Speakers
    Dayton 8" HO custom sealed subwoofer(2 channel)
    Yamaha NS-c444 center channel
    Emotiva ERD-1 surround speakers
    JBL e250p subwoofer highly modified
    Samsung 46" LED TV
    OPPO BDP-83 blue ray/multi format player
    ps-audio NuWave dac (2 channel)
    Dell I660 music server running fidelizer windows 8 audio optimizer
    PS Audio Quintet power center

Suspended
    Krell is the debated king of bass, not many consider them warm though but the Mac should take care of that. I'd suggest taking a listen to a Conrad Johnson solid state. A lot of good options though.

Quote Originally Posted by crittertoo
    Love the McIntosh C500 and C2300 pre amps, but i feel the mc501 are too laid back and the bass punch could be a little more tight and define. I would like it a bit faster as well
    Two other amps in the same budget, power, and quality range as the Mac (without the output transformers which is what is increasing the source impedance) are the Parasound JC-1s designed by Jon Curl and the Pass Labs X.350.5 designed by Nelson Pass. Both of these guys have produced exceptional products for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by crittertoo
    Do you see any problems with mixing pre-amps and amps from different manufacturers?
    System synergy should always be considered - but is not necessarily a function of using the same company's products. While I don't think it is always necessary, I've found that using products from different companies can avoid ending up with a "house sound." I use an Audio Research preamp with VTL power amps. Or with the garage system, a Manley DAC/line stage driving a Threshold amp. Like peanut butter and chocolate.

rw

AR Newbie Registered Member
    thanks guys for your input.

Thread Information