Forum Regular

Question Which Integrated Amp

The little violinist ought to indicate that I love classical music - my system is a two channel set up and I have absolutely NO interest in Home Theater. With that in mind I'd like some advice. Presently I am using an SVS B12 Plus subwoofer connected to an NAD C370 amp .... the connection goes from the pre-out on the C370 to the IN on the SB 12 and from the out on the SB12 back to the MAIN In on the C370. This works fine. (My main speakers are jas-Audio ORSAS)... I think this is probably the best connection I could have with my present system....but....

But...I have a keen interest in the Bel Canto EVO 2i Gen II - because I believe that from what I read in the reviews that this solid state amp produces a sweeter sound...a more musical sound that enhances classical music....especially strings. But what do I know? I'm old, 83 years old, and not technically inclined - maybe even technically deprived - and so I need input about a good solid state integrated amp that sounds sweet. I stay away from tubes because I believe I am inadequate to the necessary know how to 'tweak' them bias them or whatever it is you do with tubes... I don't even trust myself to replace light bulbs much less audio tubes. So solid state, I believe, is the way for me to go. So how about it? Anyone out there old and decrepit like me that knows more than I do about all this? If so, sound off!

The Bel Canto ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bingo
    The little violinist ought to indicate that I love classical music - ....
    I have a keen interest in the Bel Canto EVO 2i Gen II - because I believe that from what I read in the reviews that this solid state amp produces a sweeter sound...a more musical sound that enhances classical music....especially strings. But what do I know? I'm old, 83 years old ...
    Hi, Bingo,

I have owned the Bell Canto eVo 2i Gen II and can tell you it is a very fine amp. As a classical lover myself, I can say the Bel is indeed sweet and extended on the top end and very transparent. However it is not a "warm" sounding amp overall. Rather it is relentlessly neutral; that is, it doesn't cut poor or bright-sounding recordings any slack. My present power amps have been described "warmer", "harmonically rich", and the like, and do sound better with the majority of recordings in my collection.

Versus the C370, (I owned the C270), most people will much prefer the Bel Canto. It has significantly more detail and less grain on the top end; also, it has much more precise and better controlled bass. On the other hand the Bel is less warm overall than the C270/370.

I'm "only" 61 years old and I find I can't here anything above12 kHz; likely you too have had some top end hearing loss. In this case, it is sensible to put relatively more emphasis on the mid-range in your considerations.

Forum Regular
    Could you explain more clearly what is meant by 'grain' in a bad sense? For instances I like the sound of a violin that has a 'grainy' sound...which is to say 'no metalic' or 'shrill' but rather sounds as if you can hear the bow across the strings in a 'grainy' sound...but I hear that same term used negatively...what is the negative meaning of that?

Grain is a characteristic that makes sound seem as if it was composed of bits instead of being a smooth coherent waveform. It's the aural equivalent of enlarging a conventional photograph too much.That granular charecter you hear on bowed instruments is caused by discrete particles of rosin being scraped across the strings.
    ARC SP9 MKIII, VPI HW19, Rega RB300
    Marcof PPA1, Shure, Sumiko, Ortofon carts, Yamaha DVD-S1800
    Behringer UCA222, Emotiva XDA-2, HiFimeDIY
    Accuphase T101, Teac V-7010, Nak ZX-7. LX-5, Behringer DSP1124P
    Front: Magnepan 1.7, DBX 223SX, 2 modified Dynaco MK3's, 2, 12" DIY TL subs (Pass El-Pipe-O) 2 bridged Crown XLS-402
    Rear/HT: Emotiva UMC200, Acoustat Model 1/SPW-1, Behringer CX2310, 2 Adcom GFA-545

Excellent description, Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE SP9
    Grain is a characteristic that makes sound seem as if it was composed of bits instead of being a smooth coherent waveform. It's the aural equivalent of enlarging a conventional photograph too much.That granular charecter you hear on bowed instruments is caused by discrete particles of rosin being scraped across the strings.
    The analogy to photographic grain is very strong. As in grainy photograph, there is an apparent roughness and a certain loss of detail.

Suspended
    Unfortunately, I have not heard either of these but I see most people describe the Musical Fidelity as warm, as well as the PS Audio, but PS Audio also seems to have a rep for good control over the music and a good bang for the buck. I've also heard that Edge has a 3 dimensional sound like nothing ever heard from solid state, but I have yet to verify that for myself.

If you really wanted to dip into the IRA, McIntosh would definitely work. I have heard some Mac. Another brand I have heard that has a very nice sound is T+A. Their integrated amps are pricy though.

Hi Bingo,

You are as old as you feel, friend.
    I have heard the Bel Canto with your speakers and it sounds very good. Very clean, but to me lacked a bit of warmth.
    We also listened to the Sugden A21 again with your speakers, and that was more agreeable to these ears. A very good integrated amp. Almost tube like and runs completely in Class A.
    Also you could try a Pathos Classic one. It has two tubes in the pre section only. They do not need biasing and last a long time.
    The Pathos is a brilliant amp and works very very well with your speakers.
    The choice is yours. And what a nice choice it is.
    I would go for the Pathos.
    Have fun and good luck.

Peace

Bernd
    "Let The Earth Bear Witness."

Forum Regular
    I use a Bel Canto S300 with a pair of Spendor S5e's. This is a very fine combination for any form of acoustic (unamplified / non-electronic) music. I especially like the resolution it maintains at lower volumes, especially quieter passages in music with a good dynamic range. My prior amp was a Conrad Johnson MV60. While I enjoyed it immensely, the BC S300 seemed to remove another level of subtle haze from the music.

AR Newbie Registered Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bingo
    The little violinist ought to indicate that I love classical music - my system is a two channel set up and I have absolutely NO interest in Home Theater. With that in mind I'd like some advice. Presently I am using an SVS B12 Plus subwoofer connected to an NAD C370 amp .... the connection goes from the pre-out on the C370 to the IN on the SB 12 and from the out on the SB12 back to the MAIN In on the C370. This works fine. (My main speakers are jas-Audio ORSAS)... I think this is probably the best connection I could have with my present system....but....

But...I have a keen interest in the Bel Canto EVO 2i Gen II - because I believe that from what I read in the reviews that this solid state amp produces a sweeter sound...a more musical sound that enhances classical music....especially strings. But what do I know? I'm old, 83 years old, and not technically inclined - maybe even technically deprived - and so I need input about a good solid state integrated amp that sounds sweet. I stay away from tubes because I believe I am inadequate to the necessary know how to 'tweak' them bias them or whatever it is you do with tubes... I don't even trust myself to replace light bulbs much less audio tubes. So solid state, I believe, is the way for me to go. So how about it? Anyone out there old and decrepit like me that knows more than I do about all this? If so, sound off!
    Hi Bingo!
    Try to hear the integrated amplifier Lavardin Model IT: you will fall in love...Believe me!

All the best. Mario

Forum Regular
    Unfortunately, i haven't encountered any of these units. All I can say is that there are a lot of other great units out there. Expand your options. You're in for a better deal, for sure!

Thread Information