JayBirdie

Question Class D Amplifiers for HT application

I am interested in upgrading an old Carver AV 405 5-channel amp. Rotel has a few models listed as Class D amplifiers (RMB-1076 for instance). The output jacks on this are labeled in 3 sets of 2. 2 as speakers A, 2 as speakersB, etc. I am a little conused. Would a Class D amplifier such as this serve well as a HT amp?

JayBirdie
    Point of Clarificaion- The model is Rotel RMB- 1066. Listed as a 6-channel amp
    Thanks

Suspended
    I have not heard the Rotel yet personally but I have only heard good things about their digital amps and they would be excellent HT amps. In general Class D, or other digital topology, run very cool and are usually smaller, so placement is not a problem.

Although, my amp is "class V" it is still a digital amp. It is rated at 125x5 and weighs a whopping 11 lbs. It has "auto on" which it does by sensing the input signal and turning itself on. I have it tucked away in the bottom of my cabinet and after hook up haven't had to see it since.

JayBirdie
    I certainly appreciate the input. I haven't messed with audio equipment for years and it certaily has grown up.

MERRY XMAS TO ALL.
    mr peabody ? what is a class V" amps/preamp etc.
    could you breifly explain.

Suspended
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...es_and_systems

Follow the link and it talks about the various classifications of amps. I saw Class D & T, but not V right off. I'm not sure what the technical differences in D, T & V are but the results are basically the same. I suspect Linn chose to call their amps "Class V" to differentiate themselves. I'm sure there's some difference in there but as I stated these all basically act about the same as far as I know

thanks MR PEABODY

i did follow that link, boy" that's too much information for me even with a double dose of GINKGO BILOBA DAILY... however don't give up on me as i did learn a few things about class D', amplifiers. also another important item DISTORTION i was shocked to learn that its "ESSENTIAL" to the electric guitar amplifiers, record engineers,microphones,and to enhance digital technology .

and i spent all this time complaining about DISTORTION great link...

Thread Information