• 08-30-2006, 11:52 AM
    pdhanwada
    Inexpensive Preamp and Amp atleast 5.1
    I am looking for a preamp and an amp which has outputs for 5.1 channels.
    I havenot thought of speakers yet. Probably I am going to buy some 4 ohm impdence speakers.

Give me some options. Used on ebay or any other place is fine.

Thanks
    Pandu
  • 08-30-2006, 02:43 PM
    likeitloud
    You can go the used route via ebay, there a couple adcoms and a rotel on there
    right now, and autosource has pretty good entry level stuff for good price points
    brand new, I had a friends in my system for a week, and it did very well in 2ch
    driving HPM 100's to insane levels, it never quit, got hot, tripped the protector, very
    clean. Good luck
  • 08-30-2006, 03:28 PM
    jocko_nc
    I went a different route...

I am using a Yamaha AVR w/ preouts and a decent two-channel power amp, Adcom 545II. I get all the functionality of a modern 7.1 receiver and the punch of an old-school stereo. The cost is minimal: $300 for the Yamaha and $0.00 for the Adcom. Dual DIY subs as satellites cost another $450.00. Highly recommend the Adcom 545, there are plenty around to be found.

The two mains are what really matter for music. With the Adcom and the dual subs, they really crank in two channels. For HT, I have an identical third for center and a pair-du-jour for rears. The AVR can run the surround channels just fine, their signals are usually filtered anyway. It has support of the other amps, it does not get overwhelmed. It works quite well.

jocko
  • 08-30-2006, 07:06 PM
    Mr Peabody
    I guess the first question would be, what do you call inexpensive? The least expensive would be some combo similar to what Jocko was speaking of. If you want true separates, www.spearitsound.com is selling new Audio Refinement surround processor and 5 channel amp at a blow out price. I forget how much. You could get the processor and look for a less expensive amp. I think the processor might have been around $800.00. Check out the link, go to "used, demos & close outs".
  • 09-01-2006, 03:06 PM
    pdhanwada
    One more question
    Thanks for all your replies.

I see some Adcom GFA 6000 Multi channel amplifiers on ebay. But I dont see a remote with it.

If I use a receiver as a preamp connect preamp outputs of A/V receiver into the amp, Can I use the receiver's volume control to increase or decrease the volume. I dont see any remote for this amplifier.

Let me know. This is kind of urgent. Please reply gurus.

Thanks
    Pandu
  • 09-01-2006, 05:50 PM
    Mr Peabody
    Yes, you can control the amp with the receiver. The Adcom is just a power amp. An A/V receiver will have a preamp section, power amp section, a tuner and surround decoder/DAC all in the one box. The 6000 is just a separate power amp which should have better performance than most A/V receiver's internal amp section. An integrated amp is just a preamp and power amp in one box. For what you are wanting to do the 6000 will be fine.
  • 09-01-2006, 11:09 PM
    jocko_nc
    Yes, you can. The AVR will thank you for it.
  • 09-02-2006, 05:02 PM
    pdhanwada
    My plan for now.
    I have seen locally used

2 linn 5125 5 channel amplifier ($2000) each
    1 linn espek 5140 pair ($500)
    1 linn 5120 center channel. ($1400)

I will start off with driving the espeks passively buy just one amp. Buying two linn amps is out of my range. Later I will try to add an amp or two to bi_amp or triamp the espeks. I have the choice of going activ. If I have to go active should always have to use linn amplifiers.

Which preamp to buy I am not sure. I have a energy s-10 sub. WHich is fine for me for now.

I might use paradigm monitor 5s as rears in 5.1 set up.

my question for you is should always go for linn amps to bi amp these speakers. I guess not. may be the quality is good with linn. But these amps are very expensive. Suggest me any other stereo amps which come with in $500 price range.

My peabody might be of help for me I have seen his reviews on linn 5125 amp. Comment on prices too. I am new to the separates world. If you feel they are expensive let me know.

Thanks
  • 09-02-2006, 09:47 PM
    Mr Peabody
    $2k is a decent price buying locally from a store. I've seen them slightly cheaper on Audiogon but sometimes it's worth the extra money to avoid risk. Also, if they have 2, they may accept a lower offer.

If you go with the Linn amp, forget the receiver and buy a good preamp. Arcam has a nice one that retails around $2,500.00. The 5125 has a matching preamp but I'm not familiar with it. My Primare seems to match with the 5125 well. You might check for a used older model of one. I'm also not familiar with Linn's speakers but there shouldn't be any problem with using two different brands of amps. Many people will put a high current brute force amp on bass and a sweeter sounding amp on mids/highs. I personally have not ever gotten into that bi-amping or bi-wiring thing for home audio. If you want just a 2 channel amp and was going to just use it on bass, look for a used Adcom 555 or 5500, both are 200x2 wpc and would be close to your price used.