Forum Regular

I'm looking for an amp to go with my B&W

Hi, I bought six months ago the B&W 604, 602 and the center 600 S3. To go with it I took a Yamaha amp (RX-V640RDS) and I already knew I'd have to change it later but at this time I didn't know the amp was so important.
    Now my 604 need power and my amp can't give it and the sound isn't like in the store (I listened to it with Cambridge Audio). It sounds too flat and I need to change my amp and get something strong with a dynamic sound. Unless I'm listening to The Eagles in DTS my speakers won't give what they are capable of and I'm missing a lot of details.
    I listened to a new Rotel receiver, the 1056 but I didn't like how it sounds and it costs a lot. I also listened to a Nad 320 stereo amp with my speakers and I loved it and I think this is the sound I like but now I'm wanting to buy a power amp to go with my Yamaha that will be used as a preamp before I'm getting a good one. Can someone tell me if it's better to buy a C272 power amp for the front and later get other ones (maybe the same) for the other channels or immediately buy the T973 to drive all the channels?
    Or maybe another brand (but not Rotel)?
    I prefer listening in stereo and only sometimes in HT and I don't know if it makes a big difference in choosing a power amp.

I already thank you for your responses and please excuse me for my faults, I'm from Belgium and speak french.

First off, your english is better than mine and it's my mother tongue!

If you usually listen to music in stereo, I'd probably stick with a two channel amp unless you listen to a lot of multi-channel hi-rez (sacd, dvd-a). You can always add a 3 channel later if need be. My suggestions is to find a couple of good dealers and do as many home demo's as possible with as many amps as you can lay your hands on. You'll never exactly duplicate the sound you heard at your dealer's because your room acoustics are different from theirs. Also, it's highly likely their sound room was damped and tuned just for those speakers.

You don't really mention a price range, but based on the amps you've mentioned I'd also consider Audio Refinement/YBA (there's one for the home team), B&K, Parasound Halo, and Adcom. You might also consider tubes or hybrids from Jolida, ASL, or Cayin. If you go used, which is a great idea with amps as there are no moving parts, you might be able to pick up a used Bryston, PS Audio HCA2 (what I use), Threshold, Classe, Bel Canto...the list goes on and on. Check out audiogon.com and see if anything tickles your fancy.

Hope this helps.

Forum Regular
    First of all, I'd like to thank you for your tips. I've checked the amps you told me but it's too expensive. I can't stop thinking about what I'm gonna do about this amp! Today I've read in many tests that the Azur 540R of Cambridge sounds very good and is a good deal. In about two months (the salesman told me but I'm not sure about it) the Azur 640R will be released and this could maybe be and interesting choice for me. On the other hand, I'm wondering if my Yamaha amp is not powerful enough or just sounds bad with my speakers (I've got bass but the medium is very low).What I mean is that maybe I don't need so much power in view of the fact that the room where I've got my speakers is just 30m2. Beginning with a 2-way power amp is a good idea but I'll never finish with it or maybe in 2 years! The brands I think I'd look for will be Cambridge, Arcam or Nad but I have a preference for Cambridge. I've read so many good reviews about the sound quality of these amps and I hope the 640R will be released at time.

Audio Addicted
    Hello.
    May I suggest Bob Caver's Sunfire series amplifiers. They are reasonably priced and sound excellent. Power is not a problem and they can drive very low loads easily. Check out www.sunfire.com for detailed information and good luck meeting your audio needs.
    Michael
    2-Channel Traditionalist Audiophile
    Maggie Fan, Bob Carver Sunfire groupie

AR Regular

How about

a Musical Fidelity stereo amp, such as the A3.2CR? They should be available in your part of the world, and hopefully second hand. I bought B&W speakers and this particular amp in November, and after a decent run in period, I am very happy with the sound I'm getting.

You could run the front speakers throught this amp (using the Yamaha as a pre-amp for the fronts, and let the Yammy power the rest). This would also relieve the Yammy from the stress of powering the front speakers so that the surrounds might become more dynamic. Again, as mentioned by others, see if the store will allow you to try it out in your home, or at least are willing to give you your money back if you are not happy.

PS: Positioning of speakers is also very important. The sound from mine was not good until I moved them more than half a metre from the back wall and well away from the corners.

AR Regular

Forum Regular
    Thank you for your tips. Musical Fidelity looks nice and I think I'm gonna give it a try.
    Could anybody tell me if Cambridge Audio Azur 540R is a good amp.
    I called a store where I bought a Qed coax cable and he wants me to buy Arcam, he tells me there's a huge difference between it and Cambridge. But I've read so many good reviews about Cambridge Audio. The only thing I'm sure of is that I don't want a Rotel, I've heard it just before a Nad and this last one had a warmer and more dynamic sound.
    Yesterday I moved my DM604 from the wall as they were too close to it and it already sounds better, more depth.

It's just a hobby
    Quote Originally Posted by mounirtaha
    Thank you for your tips. Musical Fidelity looks nice and I think I'm gonna give it a try.
    Could anybody tell me if Cambridge Audio Azur 540R is a good amp.
    I called a store where I bought a Qed coax cable and he wants me to buy Arcam, he tells me there's a huge difference between it and Cambridge. But I've read so many good reviews about Cambridge Audio. The only thing I'm sure of is that I don't want a Rotel, I've heard it just before a Nad and this last one had a warmer and more dynamic sound.
    Yesterday I moved my DM604 from the wall as they were too close to it and it already sounds better, more depth.
    The Cambridge Audio 540R will be okay, but I will still choose the current Arcam models over the Cambridge Audio and NAD models, speaker placement is a big factor in optimal speaker sound quality,

Forum Regular
    I think I'll buy the Nad C272 to drive my fronts 604. I like Nad's sound and it's not to expensive. Later I'd buy a Nad receiver to replace my Yamaha and drive the other channels. Thanks to everybody for your help

Glad to hear you've found what you're looking for. NAD makes some very nice sounding amps and usually have a strong bottom end. They've had some reliability issues the last couple of years so do your research before you buy. CA is an excellent budget amp and in fact I use a 540a integrated in my office. IME, the CA's low level resolution was superior to the NAD c320bee and Rotel RA01 (important for an office application), while the NAD had slightly better depth in bass. Of course I'm not talkng about night and day differences here and one could be expected to be equally influenced by differences in price, aesthetics, or brand loyalty.

BTW, I'd rethink the idea of buying a NAD receiver to replace the Yammie. Once you start down the path of separates, you might as well go all the way and get a pre/pro and separate 3 channel amp or sell the 2 channel with the Yammie and get a 5 or 7 channel amp. The differences from receiver to receiver aren't nearly as large as the differences between a receiver and amp.

Again, congratulations on your choice. Enjoy the music.

Thread Information