Just purchased two Mark Levinson No. 27 Monaural Amps

Oh Joy!

I love my tube amps. The Audio Research Classic 150 and 120 monoblocks have given me much listening pleasure, but I'm always worried about tube life. I just had to get a good quality solid-state alternative to aleviate my neurosis about the tube-life ebbing away each time I switched these on.

It was my good fortune to come across not one, but a pair of immaculate No. 27 monaural amplifiers, which seem to be widely regarded as very good. They belonged to a little old lady (would you believe it?) who just had to have the best. She probably used them no more than a couple of hundred hours at the very most. Most of my attempts to get deals on the used market fail, but this time I got lucky.

I intend to configure them in bridged mode as monoblocks, but will try them in a bi-amping confiuration first. I'll post my impressions when I get them set up in the system. Has anyone heard these? I'd love to get feedback on these and their compatibity with different preamps.

Slainte

Only drove to church on Sunday, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by O'Shag
    Oh Joy!

I love my tube amps. The Audio Research Classic 150 and 120 monoblocks have given me much listening pleasure, but I'm always worried about tube life. I just had to get a good quality solid-state alternative to aleviate my neurosis about the tube-life ebbing away each time I switched these on.

It was my good fortune to come across not one, but a pair of immaculate No. 27 monaural amplifiers, which seem to be widely regarded as very good. They belonged to a little old lady (would you believe it?) who just had to have the best. She probably used them no more than a couple of hundred hours at the very most. Most of my attempts to get deals on the used market fail, but this time I got lucky.

I intend to configure them in bridged mode as monoblocks, but will try them in a bi-amping confiuration first. I'll post my impressions when I get them set up in the system. Has anyone heard these? I'd love to get feedback on these and their compatibity with different preamps.

Slainte
    Congrats, 'Shag,

I'm sure they'll be super. For that matter, wish I could take your AR's off your hands for a fail buck, but regardless of their fate, I'm going to have to stick with what I've got.

Congrats on your purchase. I assume you've been powering your KEF 207?

I thought KEF 201 sounded incredible with SET, but I think your speakers requires a bit more... I imagine Mark Levinson will work better with 207's impedence swing.

JRA

Man of the People Forums Moderator bobsticks's Avatar
    That's two very nice sets of amps. I'm envious.

Congrats on finding the deal. To an extent I find the bargain hunting a great part of the hobby and it sounds like you've got the luck on your side this day.I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions, so keep it coming.

Thanks Guys.
    Bill, I love the sound of my Classic 120s and 150s too much to give them up. They are actually a hybrid design; all fet input stage and eight 6550s configured in triode on the output stage. If you ever find a piar on the cheap, you'll love them.

Jrymeammo, I actually have the 107s, not the 207s. Also have monitor audio GR60s. If you're ever in the market for a giant-killer, look no further than the Gold Reference 60s. They have the speed and coherence of electrostatics, and are immensely dynamic and transparent with absolutely no graininess whatsoever. They don;t have the bass or the enormous sound of the 107s though, which are also stellar.

Bobsticks - I usually am not lucky, principally because I don't have nearly large enough cash reserves to bid without regard for the end price. But this time got very lucky. Hope it lasts...

Suspended
    I know you love the ARC amps but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if you didn't retire them to keep the Levinson's in your system. If I'm wrong and you decide to let the #27's go, I hope you give us first shot. Very nice amp.

Thread Information